Name Your Favorite City

Rex Kickass

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(farmteam @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
I've heard of Kalispell for some reason. Are they well known for something?

The first 3 of those all are right on the border of or are in some of the most spectacular scenery you'll find in this country (The Beartooth Mtns, Glacier Park, and The Tetons/Yellowstone).

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
Philly is interesting as of late, but the people there are generally horrible and the city is old and difficult to navigate if you aren't taking public transportation.

I loved the people there.For a lack of a better term "they keep it real".They are obnoxious and say what they are thinking but seem to get along at the end of the day.They are especially awesome at sporting events.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
I've never been there, but I think I would really like Amsterdam.

To be honest, I think The Fall ruined Amsterdam to me. It will forever just be equated to Dante's concentric circles of hell.

Although I did have a good time there.

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 03:35 AM)
2) Montreal-VERY cool, great city to walk in.. I've had nothing but great times every visit-LOVE the food.

I hope you're talking about the poutine -- absolutely delicious. I also found it funny that they aren't hard at all about carding -- I know the drinking age is 18, but I think there are some high school kids who look older than me, and even though I had my ID out, they didn't even think about asking for it.

Also, I'll add to the list of cities that suck hard:

1.) Cleveland

2.) Milwaukee

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 23, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
reborn. SS is right, great coastal city.

Yeah, what Tex said. There are so many great spots and beaches all up and down the island. It is a slice of paradise, that no one really talks about. My favorite is taking the ferry over to the Bolivar Pennisula and driving onto one of the beaches, and parking right on the gulf with no one for hundreds of yards around. You can't beat the Texas gulf coast.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 12:36 PM)
I hope you're talking about the poutine -- absolutely delicious. I also found it funny that they aren't hard at all about carding -- I know the drinking age is 18, but I think there are some high school kids who look older than me, and even though I had my ID out, they didn't even think about asking for it.

Yeah, poutine is definitely my favorite treat when I go up there. Pretty bizarre sounding combination of ingredients, but it's just ridiculously good. That and a Montreal dog (they put nothing on it) and a Moosehead and I'm set.

Overrated cities for me:

1) Boston

2) Boston

3) San Diego

4) Boston

5) Orlando (although I don't know if anyone actually rates it highly)

Based on places I've lived:

Top of the List: Chicago (would love to go back but the wife wants Charleston, SC after we're done in Atlanta)

Better than expected:

Peoria, IL (seriously)

Worse than expected:

Atlanta (was completely oversold)

Visited & Might Be Fun to Live (no particular order):

Seattle

Austin

San Diego

Denver

Nashville

Had Fun Visiting, Wouldn't Want to Live There:

New Orleans

DC

Philly

San Fran

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 24, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)
To be honest, I think The Fall ruined Amsterdam to me. It will forever just be equated to Dante's concentric circles of hell.

Although I did have a good time there.

Yeah, its a good time, not for everyone though. Europe as a whole is a tough pill to swallow for many Americans, its just a different culture, more relaxed in some areas, and some people just cant handle it.

For me, my rankings are hard, and I keep changing them Heres my US/Canada list

1. Chi-best city in the world

2. San Diego-just awesome, burbs on the ocean are the jewels, OB, PB, Encinita

3. San Fran-amazing

4. Vancouver

5. Denver/Austin-tie both are just plain cool, with good people

6. Baltimore/DC area. Great drinking and eating towns.

7. Salt Lake City-actually a pretty good drinking area, I like that the best ski towns are 20 min away

8. Phoenix-just love the overall feel, although there is WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much driving around

9. Dallas-good town, good food. people are a bit weird sometimes.

10. Cincinnati-great sleeper town- Mt adams area is a diamond in the rough.

11. Boston-people are annoying as hell, great drinking though, good pubs.

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
If you go 1 block out of the inner harbor it gets rough.There are no police in that city.

I don't if that's really true. The Italian section of the city is nice. Along with some of the other historical areas (I visited some related to Betsy Ross and Poe, I think).

Edit to add: Johns Hopkins is also a really lovely campus. Also the area around the Cafe Hon is really cute and eccentric. And the free book place was friggin sweet.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
I think Baltimore gets an unfairly bad rap--I really enjoyed it.

I like it, but there are rough areas. I actually think that DC gets an unfair bad rap, the downtown area is nice, and the Georgetown area is one of the more beautiful parts of a city ive ever seen.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 25, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
Yeah, its a good time, not for everyone though. Europe as a whole is a tough pill to swallow for many Americans, its just a different culture, more relaxed in some areas, and some people just cant handle it.

For me, my rankings are hard, and I keep changing them Heres my US/Canada list

1. Chi-best city in the world

2. San Diego-just awesome, burbs on the ocean are the jewels, OB, PB, Encinita

3. San Fran-amazing

4. Vancouver

5. Denver/Austin-tie both are just plain cool, with good people

6. Baltimore/DC area. Great drinking and eating towns.

7. Salt Lake City-actually a pretty good drinking area, I like that the best ski towns are 20 min away

8. Phoenix-just love the overall feel, although there is WAAAAAAAAYYYYY too much driving around

9. Dallas-good town, good food. people are a bit weird sometimes.

10. Cincinnati-great sleeper town- Mt adams area is a diamond in the rough.

11. Boston-people are annoying as hell, great drinking though, good pubs.

Hey, you bastard, I resemble that remark. :D