Aaron Poreda

SoxAce

Poreda is the one guy that I irrationally believe is going to be a star. Despite what I have heard about his slider being a show-me pitch and his change being worse, I have hope that his secondary pitches will develop to solid options, and that despite his crappy mechanics, he won't get hurt. Realistically, he probably won't make it past AA.

Edited by Elgin Slim

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 11:32 AM)
Hey my suspicions were right. We drafted a reliever ahead of one of the top pitching prospects in baseball. I don't see how I'll ever be happy with this pick.

what about if porcello fizzles out?

Poreda was ranked as the #67 prospect in baseball by Keith Law on espn.com today....Gio didn't even make the list....Fautino was ranked at 57

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/col...&id=3222233

Aaron Poreda

LHP

Chicago White Sox

TOP '07 LEVEL:

Rookie (Great Falls)

Poreda is still a project, but he brings one undeniable tool to the table. Left-handers with plus velocity (93-97 consistently, with anecdotal reports of 98 plus) and excellent sink to generate ground balls are rare birds, making Poreda a very good value for a late first-round selection. His secondary stuff remains raw. He's messed around with a curveball and slider, with the latter showing more promise, and his low three-quarter arm slot has made it hard for him to master a changeup. He's big and can hold his velocity, but the White Sox should move him slowly to give him time to develop at least one -- preferably two -- average offspeed pitches so he can fulfill his promise as a No. 2 or 3 starter.

he also listed the top 5 in our org. as Poreda, Griffith, Broadway, McCullouch, and Shelby in that order

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 02:25 PM)

Well any of them could fizzle out, but Porcello is ranked as the 11th top prospect overall. This guy has all the earmarks of a top of the rotation stud. Its a wait and see on this, but I would rather have Porcello right now just based on projections and health.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jan 26, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)

If Poreda turned out to be a fireballing lefty reliever (Matt Thorton version 2006, making the comparison for the umpteenth time), I think Sox fans should be pretty happy. I know it sucks that we didn't draft Porcello, but folks need to bear in mind that the expected value of a pick in the mid-20s isn't all that great. Getting a quality setup man obviously wouldn't be ideal, but it certainly wouldn't be something to be ashamed of. In fact, a smart move might be to let Poreda start for the first half of the year and then turn him into a reliever in July -- that would limit his innings and, if Kenny is right and this team is good enough to compete, there's a chance Poreda could help the team out in August or September.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
If Poreda turned out to be a fireballing lefty reliever (Matt Thorton version 2006, making the comparison for the umpteenth time), I think Sox fans should be pretty happy. I know it sucks that we didn't draft Porcello, but folks need to bear in mind that the expected value of a pick in the mid-20s isn't all that great. Getting a quality setup man obviously wouldn't be ideal, but it certainly wouldn't be something to be ashamed of. In fact, a smart move might be to let Poreda start for the first half of the year and then turn him into a reliever in July -- that would limit his innings and, if Kenny is right and this team is good enough to compete, there's a chance Poreda could help the team out in August or September.

Keith if Porcello was off the board at that pick sure Poreda is what you get. But he was on the board, and with the absolute sucktatude our minors have been Porcello would of easily been our top prospect, and it would be nice to see a sox prospect at 11. Which means either he has perceived value for trades(see Cabrera) or real value see Verlander. We didnt want to go over slot, and passed on the better talent. Hopefully with the 8th pick this year we dont fall into the same trap.

Nate (MI): Any concerns about putting a guy who has never thrown a pro pitch (Porcello) at #11? As a Tigers fan I'm thrilled, but even I have to admit that seems a bit high.

Kevin Goldstein: None whatsoever. Maybe the best high school arm of the decade so far.

:crying

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 02:09 PM)
Keith if Porcello was off the board at that pick sure Poreda is what you get. But he was on the board, and with the absolute sucktatude our minors have been Porcello would of easily been our top prospect, and it would be nice to see a sox prospect at 11. Which means either he has perceived value for trades(see Cabrera) or real value see Verlander. We didnt want to go over slot, and passed on the better talent. Hopefully with the 8th pick this year we dont fall into the same trap.

:crying

JR will never allow KW to go over draft slot for a bonus, because JR and his bunch of owners want to keep salaries down for draftees. There was never a chance that we would draft a guy overslot. That fact won't change no matter how much we cry about it. Berating the same point doesn't change that.

This was in Keith Law's chat on ESPN in reference to his list of top 100 prospects.

How far outside the top 100 is the next best White Sox prospect?

Keith Law: A long ways. I sat down to do those top 5s, and for most teams it was straightforward. For them, I wrote:

"1. Aaron Poreda

2. X"

and finished all the other teams before even trying to find another prospect there.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
JR will never allow KW to go over draft slot for a bonus, because JR and his bunch of owners want to keep salaries down for draftees. There was never a chance that we would draft a guy overslot. That fact won't change no matter how much we cry about it. Berating the same point doesn't change that.

Well with the number 8 pick, Kenny has been telling us we will pick the best talent. The top ten should be littered with Boras clients as well as other expensive guys. Will we pick up a top 10 talent, or try to pass off a late round reach as gold next year.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 02:00 PM)
if Kenny is right and this team is good enough to compete, there's a chance Poreda could help the team out in August or September.

If Poreda sees time in AAA, I'll be shocked.

I'm not a big fan of these top prospect lists because they're hardly ever right. It should rank AA/AAA prospects and that's it.

These guys that have only spent a year in rookie ball or low A ball....you just don't know enough about them yet to compare them to the rest of the field IMO.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 07:34 PM)
Well with the number 8 pick, Kenny has been telling us we will pick the best talent. The top ten should be littered with Boras clients as well as other expensive guys. Will we pick up a top 10 talent, or try to pass off a late round reach as gold next year.

Depends on how you characterize Jordan Danks: top 10 talent or pyrite?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)

There are several clubs that dont go over slot.

The MLB assigns "slot values" to each draft pick, which are guidelines for how much of a signing bonus should be given to that pick. If a team wants to give out a bonus above the slot they have to contact the Commissioner's office, but they're hardly ever stopped from doing it. So, for example, if the slot value for pick 8 was 1.5 million, and the Sox want to offer that player 1.8 million, they'd have to petition the league office.

I'll be disappointed if we don't pick the BPA with our #8 this season. last year it was widely know that Porcello was a top 5 type talent but slid down becuase of bonus concerns, with the 8 pick this year we'll already be paying a large bonus so we have absolutely no excuse to take a lesser talent just to avoid paying a big bonus