CREDE CREDE CREDE

NCsoxfan

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NCsoxfan @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 05:27 AM)
Is the thinking here that Crede would net us a B/C level prospect?

I am not sure what a B/C level prospect is, but if we ever traded Crede it better be for major league ready prospects or someone already on tghe roster and ready to step in as a top notch player. Personally I think Crede should be signed to a long term deal.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)
I am not sure what a B/C level prospect is, but if we ever traded Crede it better be for major league ready prospects or someone already on tghe roster and ready to step in as a top notch player. Personally I think Crede should be signed to a long term deal.

You think we will get a top notch player for one year of returning from back surgery Joe Crede? I wish we could have worked something out with Crede almost as much as anyone, but that's not looking too likely anymore.

The longer Crede is held the more desperate a team in need of him could become. The reason I disliked the Garland and Garcia trades so much was when they went down.

They can play on the desperation of a team especially a team that losses a 3B in spring training. This is the same thing that could happen to Uribe and possibly even Nick Massett or Gavin Floyd.

There is no need to take nothing prospects for them now as at worst they add depth of MLB players, not great players, but guys that you can count on for something.

Lost in the Crede situation in my mind is the fact that the Sox signed him to a high contract when they still had time. I am not certain if he worked out, had a physical or what but they could have held out until it was time to go to arbitration to sign him.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:19 AM)
The longer Crede is held the more desperate a team in need of him could become. The reason I disliked the Garland and Garcia trades so much was when they went down.

They can play on the desperation of a team especially a team that losses a 3B in spring training. This is the same thing that could happen to Uribe and possibly even Nick Massett or Gavin Floyd.

There is no need to take nothing prospects for them now as at worst they add depth of MLB players, not great players, but guys that you can count on for something.

Lost in the Crede situation in my mind is the fact that the Sox signed him to a high contract when they still had time. I am not certain if he worked out, had a physical or what but they could have held out until it was time to go to arbitration to sign him.

This type of thinking also can screw you over if you wait too long and the prospective buyer moves on to plan B

Holding onto a player who can provide gold glove caliber defense and give you more than respectable offensive numbers instead of selling low on him isn't the worst idea in the world. I really wish there was room for both Josh and Joe, but selling low on Crede doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I think his value on the '08 team is potentially much greater than a couple of average prospects he'd likely yield via trade.

QUOTE(BaseballNick @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 08:08 AM)
Holding onto a player who can provide gold glove caliber defense and give you more than respectable offensive numbers instead of selling low on him isn't the worst idea in the world. I really wish there was room for both Josh and Joe, but selling low on Crede doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I think his value on the '08 team is potentially much greater than a couple of average prospects he'd likely yield via trade.

Unfortunately, selling low may not make much sense, but the other option remains losing him for nothing. Either we're selling low on him because he hasn't proven his back is healthy, we're selling low on him because he's 3 months away from being a FA if we move him a couple months into the season, or we lose him at the end of the year for nothing.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Unfortunately, selling low may not make much sense, but the other option remains losing him for nothing. Either we're selling low on him because he hasn't proven his back is healthy, we're selling low on him because he's 3 months away from being a FA if we move him a couple months into the season, or we lose him at the end of the year for nothing.

Or we keep him, and hinder our brightest young player. It's a trade-off.

Edited by sircaffey

Depending on how he looks in ST...Crede could be a cornerstone for a team like the Giants that have some money and need to get a little younger. I don't think it's impossible to get a very close to major league ready player. Or even one that they've soured on...kinda like a Carlos Quentin deal.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
Depending on how he looks in ST...Crede could be a cornerstone for a team like the Giants that have some money and need to get a little younger. I don't think it's impossible to get a very close to major league ready player. Or even one that they've soured on...kinda like a Carlos Quentin deal.

The problem is...can you name a player like that on the Giants?

If we were talking about other teams, ok, but if our market for trading Joe is down to the Giants, they don't exactly have a lot of stuff that we'd be interested in. Their really high draft picks are Cain and Lincecum, but other than that, their system is basically where ours is except that we've traded everyone to get to this point, they just never had it in the first place.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 11:48 PM)

Crede alone will not get us much of a high prospect or MLB ready prospect. The reasons are: 1. coming off back surgery and 2. he is a one year rent a player due to the impending free agency and the tough negotiations that will follow with Boras.

I think we will get a high prospect or MLB ready pitcher because we will be packaged with others such as Anderson. The return will be a pitcher. KW trades for a targeted player not what the other team wants to offer and right now I think KW wants to acquire pitching. His position players are pretty well set.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
Health, contact hitting, emergency catcher ability, already signed to en extension, a non Bora$ client.

Joe Crede makes a heck of a lot more contact than Brandon Inge. If you are trading for an everyday 3rd baseman, I doubt you would want to risk throwing him behind the plate.

Health, contact hitting, emergency catcher ability, already signed to en extension, a non Bora$ client.

Those all sound pretty compelling to me. If I am any team in need of a third baseman, I would sooner call the Tigers. He is wrapped up for 3 or 4 years at an average of roughly $6MM per season. Detroit will probably want either prospects or relief pitchers. I am not sure the Giants have enough of either to make it worthwhile to the Tigers, though.

Brandon Inge is a dreadful contact hitter and "emergency catcher" really means nothing seeing as how he's your starting 3B. He's also 31 years old and signed through 2010 so his representation is a non-issue.

You could say: Clean bill of health with no real history of injury problems, signed for another 3 years to a reasonable contract and he's been a more consistent offensive player than Joe Crede over the past 4 years.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
Brandon Inge is a dreadful contact hitter and "emergency catcher" really means nothing seeing as how he's your starting 3B. He's also 31 years old and signed through 2010 so his representation is a non-issue.

You could say: Clean bill of health with no real history of injury problems, signed for another 3 years to a reasonable contract and he's been a more consistent offensive player than Joe Crede over the past 4 years.

Inge's representation may be a non-issue, but you can not say the same for Joe since his term is up by mid-October at the latest. Crede might be the better option if the Giants don't have enough chips to play with or if they are grooming a 3B who needs another 500 ABs at AAA before bringing him up.

A couple of these are huge strikes against Inge-

Already signed to an extension....for so much more money than he's worth, that nobody is even willing to take the salary off Detroit's hands. Taking into account the positions they play, it would be like us trying to get someone to take Uribe if we had him signed for 3 years and $8 million a year.

In fact, it would be smarter for the Giants to take Uribe to play 3rd base rather than Inge, if Crede's back were a concern.

Contact hitting?- Maybe that was a typo. Inge struck out 150 times last year and has averaged about 140 for the past 3 years. Crede strikes out about half as often. Inge is basically exactly a very poor man's Joe Crede. Very good defensively, has some power but not as much as Crede, doesn't hit for average, doesn't get on base, strikes out a lot.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 03:31 PM)
A couple of these are huge strikes against Inge-

Already signed to an extension....for so much more money than he's worth, that nobody is even willing to take the salary off Detroit's hands. Taking into account the positions they play, it would be like us trying to get someone to take Uribe if we had him signed for 3 years and $8 million a year.

In fact, it would be smarter for the Giants to take Uribe to play 3rd base rather than Inge, if Crede's back were a concern.

Contact hitting?- Maybe that was a typo. Inge struck out 150 times last year and has averaged about 140 for the past 3 years. Crede strikes out about half as often. Inge is basically exactly a very poor man's Joe Crede. Very good defensively, has some power but not as much as Crede, doesn't hit for average, doesn't get on base, strikes out a lot.

Sounds like Uribe without the ability to play short.