CREDE CREDE CREDE

NCsoxfan

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
A simple statement. Sometimes it's the only way to be very clear. Start the better player, it's not a very difficult decision for Ozzie and the coaches to make.

I also prefer the sort and to the point style. I don't have to write 6 paragraphs to make my point. But then again, everyone has their own style.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is why less than two weeks ago Ozzie said Fields was the starting 3rd basemen for the team?

I always thought the unwritten rule in professional sports is "thou shall not lose his starting job due to injury." Although Ozzie doesn't like rules.

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 02:48 PM)
I always thought the unwritten rule in professional sports is "thou shall not lose his starting job due to injury." Although Ozzie doesn't like rules.

Drew Bledsoe

Kurt Warner

Jim Thome

Frank Thomas

and I'm not even thinking

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 06:36 AM)
A simple statement. Sometimes it's the only way to be very clear. Start the better player, it's not a very difficult decision for Ozzie and the coaches to make.

If Joe Crede was capable of hitting .260 this season with an OBP of around .330 and 20HR's, then yes I would agree with you, Crede would be more valuable to this team in 2008.

However I'd say the chances of the above scenario happening aren't very good, based on Crede's rustiness at the plate so far, and you don't know if he'll ever be 100% again.

And sometimes the above isn't so simple, you have to look at things such as the contracts of both players, and where both players fit into your long - term core.

Fields does, but Crede at this stage does not.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
If Joe Crede was capable of hitting .260 this season with an OBP of around .330 and 20HR's, then yes I would agree with you, Crede would be more valuable to this team in 2008.

However I'd say the chances of the above scenario happening aren't very good, based on Crede's rustiness at the plate so far, and you don't know if he'll ever be 100% again.

And sometimes the above isn't so simple, you have to look at things such as the contracts of both players, and where both players fit into your long - term core.

Fields does, but Crede at this stage does not.

How can you judge Crede on 22 AB when he hasn't played in a long while, and not only is he getting used to playing again, don't forget the hand injury suffered when the White Sox incredibly had MacDougal, he of the hard throwing I have no idea where the ball is going MacDougals pitching batting practice to guys owed millions and the predicable occured?

Fields was awful at 3B. He blew more then a couple games at 3b last year.

Let's hear which games he blew. This should be fun. I remember Crede's gloving blowing a game back in 2005 when he dropped a foul pop up and the next pitch was crushed over the fence in the 9th inning.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
How can you judge Crede on 22 AB when he hasn't played in a long while, and not only is he getting used to playing again, don't forget the hand injury suffered when the White Sox incredibly had MacDougal, he of the hard throwing I have no idea where the ball is going MacDougals pitching batting practice to guys owed millions and the predicable occured?

I'm certainly not judging that on what he does in ST. 22AB's is a terrible sample size to use.

I'm basing it, on how much time he has missed, and how long it will probably take him for him to find a comfort zone at the plate, when he can get everything back together. He hasn't faced MLB pitching in almost a year before ST.

Unless you're Albert Pujols, Barry Bonds etc., that is going to take some time for you to get used to again.

I see Crede starting slowly, and then getting into a rhythm around July / August at the plate.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
I'm certainly not judging that on what he does in ST. 22AB's is a terrible sample size to use.

I'm basing it, on how much time he has missed, and how long it will probably take him for him to find a comfort zone at the plate, when he can get everything back together. He hasn't faced MLB pitching in almost a year before ST.

Unless you're Albert Pujols, Barry Bonds etc., that is going to take some time for you to get used to again.

I see Crede starting slowly, and then getting into a rhythm around July / August at the plate.

As do I. Crede's bat will cost the Sox opportunities early in the season no doubt. If his defense also needs time to get back to where it was (not saying this is a good indication but he's been aweful in the field thusfar in ST), then Crede is an utterly useless player for the beginning of the season and we're better served with Pablo at 3B let alone Fields.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
Let's hear which games he blew. This should be fun. I remember Crede's gloving blowing a game back in 2005 when he dropped a foul pop up and the next pitch was crushed over the fence in the 9th inning.

You never give Manny a second chance, he'll kill you every time. I was at that game. I believe Vizcaino was on the mound, he worked his way out of a jam in the 9th or 10th inning and forced Manny to pop one up in foul territory near third. The eight other players start jogging toward the dugout and Joe just drops it. There was nothing tricky about it, just a simple pop up and he muffed it.

Many good arguments on both sides. Since Crede is a bust as trade bait this would be the best case scenario. Crede starts the season as the starter plays good enough to up his trade value. Then someone on a contender gets hurt and we snag more than he's currently worth . Could Fields possibly stick with the team if Crede is the starter ? I can't see Thome playing as much this year against lefties so use Fields (DH) and Crede in the same lineup against lefties and at other times rest Crede and start Fields. The Sox can still contend this way ( if all else goes well) and Fields take over at 3rd when Crede is traded.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 08:55 PM)
You never give Manny a second chance, he'll kill you every time. I was at that game. I believe Vizcaino was on the mound, he worked his way out of a jam in the 9th or 10th inning and forced Manny to pop one up in foul territory near third. The eight other players start jogging toward the dugout and Joe just drops it. There was nothing tricky about it, just a simple pop up and he muffed it.

Ya, it was Viz. I was there as well and once Joe missed that pop up, EVERYONE knew what was coming.

Sox-Giants differ on Crede's value

A talent evaluator familiar with both teams said the Sox were miffed the Giants' offers for Crede included since-released pitcher Scott Williamson; pitcher Randy Messenger, who was optioned to Triple-A Fresno last week; and veteran outfielder Dave Roberts.

Just UGH.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 07:49 AM)
Your link doesn't work. Dave roberts eh? Bleh.

I couldn't get the link to work, so posted the full url. Either way, just a horrible offer from the Giants. At that price, I'm glad KW hasn't traded Crede yet.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)

i was at that game, f-ing manny ramirez -_-

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
The Sox stance and track record with Boras is going to keep making this difficult. Everyone in baseball knows the situation and will low ball.

Joe isnt helping the situation batting .080 either.

I think SF will eventually cave and give up Sanchez or something else a little more worthwhile. They need bats worse than the Sox need to get rid of Crede. And its not like there are a ton of options out there. Inge is the only other one, and DET isn't going to give him up for nothing either.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
I think SF will eventually cave and give up Sanchez or something else a little more worthwhile. They need bats worse than the Sox need to get rid of Crede. And its not like there are a ton of options out there. Inge is the only other one, and DET isn't going to give him up for nothing either.

Does SF really need to make a deal? They are going to suck either way - why part with young talent (which I'd assume the Sox want) for a guy that probably won't make them better than a last place team. It seems SF only wants to trade their old talent, and there really isn't a fit for those guys on the Sox.