CREDE CREDE CREDE

NCsoxfan

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 11:51 PM)
I just dont f***ing get it here anymore.

Rock its the same comments you see when people were comparing Crede to Arod and then used the, well Crede has a ring. Well so does Geoff Blumm, Neal Cotts, and Willie Harris. Are they immortalized forever. No.

Thank you Joe for your contribution. I hope you and Boras break the bank. Soon it will be time to turn the page, and the legend of Joe Crede will live on. Just like the people who blame Thome for 06. They think that Rowand + 06 = 2nd championship. They have this selective memory that forgets how our pitching sucked, and Thome pretty much put the team on his back in April and carried them out of the gate. If it was nt for Mr. Incredible we would be talking about 2 back to back bad seasons.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imagine in 2 years and baseball experts are sitting around a table talking about their favorite players from 2000-2010. They get to the subject of who the best player was at the hot corner (thats 3B for all you kids out there). Everyone goes around the table and mentions their favorites for the best, then some guy says "Joe Crede". What kind of reaction do you think that would get?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 11:54 PM)
Imagine in 2 years and baseball experts are sitting around a table talking about their favorite players from 2000-2010. They get to the subject of who the best player was at the hot corner (thats 3B for all you kids out there). Everyone goes around the table and mentions their favorites for the best, then some guy says "Joe Crede". What kind of reaction do you think that would get?

They'd tell Hawk to pipe down.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 12:06 AM)
They'd tell Hawk to pipe down.

Think about the Hawk factor. He makes silly comments like I would rather have every player on the whitesox, and then goes position by position on how his team is better than everyone in baseball. He made a comment about how Crede is Brooks Robinson in a broadcast when they were playing against the Orioles. Now we have people parroting that comment referencing Crede and Brooks in the same breathe.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 12:45 AM)
Crede seems like a popular guy. Who is he?

He hit a couple home runs and now he is still being immortalized as one of the best 3Bman in the game. Podsednik hit a couple homers in the postseason too, including a walk-off shot, but now he's with the Rockies cuz he sucks

My boy Sanchez is scheduled to pitch against us today on CSN. (Rumored to maybe be part of a package for Crede) I won't be able to catch the game :( but can anyone give me their imput on how he pitched (outstanding, well, decent, average/below average, awful, :ph34r: etc..) Won't be home till about 10 p.m. Thanks. :)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 11:42 PM)
Joe Crede's best year and really only good year.

.283 .323 .506 30hr 90RBI

Robin Ventura's good years

1991 .284 .367 .506 23 hr 100rbi

1992 .282 .375 .442 16hr 93 rbi

1993 .262 .379 .433 22hr 94 rbi

1994 .282 .373 .459 18hr 78rbi (109 games)

1995 .295 .384 .498 26hr 93rbi

1996 .287 .368 .520 34hr 105rbi

1997 .262 .373 .426 (54 games)

1999 .301 .379 .529 32hr 120rbi

he continued to post more than 20hr each season until retirement and posted better than avg obp at .338-.368. And I still have no idea how Crede could have more power, Robin outslugged him over their careers and pretty much each season.

Not to get off topic, but I believe Ventura deserved some discussion as a HOF candidate. He is close but in the end probably comes up a bit short due to a lack of an MVP trophy plus his offensive numbers seem a few inches from the goal line. Anyway, I have used Ventura's career as a good benchmark for why Santo also does not deserve to be in the HOF. I think the numbers you just laid out illustrate an excellent career that just comes short of the hall, no matter how much we love him.

When I first read the Ventura vs. Crede question, I thought only this. Robin! Without a doubt. And as for the some of the other things mentioned. Joe Crede is no Brooks Robinson. Joe Crede is no Robin Ventura. Robin Ventura is no Brooks Robinson. I DO think Santo belongs in the HOF.

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
Not to get off topic, but I believe Ventura deserved some discussion as a HOF candidate. He is close but in the end probably comes up a bit short due to a lack of an MVP trophy plus his offensive numbers seem a few inches from the goal line. Anyway, I have used Ventura's career as a good benchmark for why Santo also does not deserve to be in the HOF. I think the numbers you just laid out illustrate an excellent career that just comes short of the hall, no matter how much we love him.

Ventura's not a Hall of Famer. Not even close, really, IMO. A solid, capable major league player, but HOF? No way.

The Trade Winds Crede threads wound up in here also right? Because that's where this post would have gone if those threads were still around.

While San Francisco has been the rumored landing spot if Joe Crede is traded, the Dodgers may be in the market for a third baseman. Andy LaRoche tore a ligament in his right thumb and will need surgery that could sideline him for eight to 10 weeks, and Nomar Garciaparra was hit by a pitch on his right wrist and is day-to-day.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
When I first read the Ventura vs. Crede question, I thought only this. Robin! Without a doubt. And as for the some of the other things mentioned. Joe Crede is no Brooks Robinson. Joe Crede is no Robin Ventura. Robin Ventura is no Brooks Robinson. I DO think Santo belongs in the HOF.

The best thing Santo did in his career is kicking up his heels, other than that, no chance.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
The best thing Santo did in his career is kicking up his heels, other than that, no chance.

Take your Cub hater glasses off and look at what the man did. He was the best 3B in NL during the 60's. Compare his numbers to Brooks. Not that far off. The man deserves to be in the Hall. I don't care what uniform he wore or how bad of a color man he is in the radio booth.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
Take your Cub hater glasses off and look at what the man did. He was the best 3B in NL during the 60's. Compare his numbers to Brooks. Not that far off. The man deserves to be in the Hall. I don't care what uniform he wore or how bad of a color man he is in the radio booth.

I was half kidding, but he still wont make the hall, the same way that Ventura wont, and they actually have pretty similar numbers. Santo never had a real stand out season, never really factored in the MVP race or playoff race, and played on crappy teams a majority of his career. Because of those reason, he probably wont get in, although he should and still has a chance to. I would argue his numbers were worthy especially during a "pitchers era", but he doesnt have that hook to hang his HOF hat on.

Fun fact: Santo led the NL in walks 4 times.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)

Ron Santo was a real good player and he does deserve consideration for the HOF. Don't forget even though he was a Cub he did try and right things by coming to the Sox :lol:

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
I was half kidding, but he still wont make the hall, the same way that Ventura wont, and they actually have pretty similar numbers. Santo never had a real stand out season, never really factored in the MVP race or playoff race, and played on crappy teams a majority of his career. Because of those reason, he probably wont get in, although he should and still has a chance to. I would argue his numbers were worthy especially during a "pitchers era", but he doesnt have that hook to hang his HOF hat on.

I hope he makes it before he dies. Growing up in the 60's and in the Chicago area, I would get home from school and turn on the Cubs. Hey, I was always a Sox fan but it was baseball on TV so I watched. I saw a lot of Ron Santo playing baseball, and in my opinion he deserves to be in the Hall.

Rock, you are a damn good poster here, so don't take this wrong. But I'm not going to argue about it with anybody. I remember just how good Santo was and if anybody else wants to jump in with stats or whatever to shoot my opinion down, you won't change my mind. Brooks Robinson was the best 3b of the era, but Ron Santo was a close second to him. I think the biggest reason he is not in the Hall is because from that '69 team Jenkins, Banks and Williams are in. Banks was a shell of his former self by that time so that shouldn't be held against Santo. In fact, I think Santo deserves it more than Jenkins. I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.

I know I keep ... so much for stopping ... comparing Santo to Brooks. But I look at that comparison like I look at comparing Billy Pierce to Whitey Ford. If one is in, the other should be. And Chicago ends up on the short in in both cases.

QUOTE(haroldbainesknees @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
We can't sign Crede long term. According to some posters here we are just a few months away from a full-scale Florida Marlins type firesale. Therefore, signing Crede long term is a moot point.

Which posters are those? I haven't seen anyone say the Sox need to go on a full scale rebuilding really at all. I've seen people say that it might help in the long term and would probably be better, but the Sox have put themselves in a pretty good position for the future right now.

What I've suggested previously is that this is the most important draft for the Sox in about 10 years; if they mess it up, there could be a lot of problems in the organization in the next 2-3 years.

I think there's another reason that Santo isn't in the Hall, and if this has already been posted, forgive me. Once Santo fell into the Veterans Committee voting procedure, his personality undermined his play. There was an extended time in 1969 during which Santo would celebrate Cub wins with a sprint down the left field line and click his heels. This got a lot of publicity. Back then you didn't do this sort of thing, and I think he pissed off a lot of his contemporary opponents. He also reamed Cub centerfielder Don Young after Young made a couple of crucial errors in a game against the Mets during the stretch drive. I think the people on the Vet committee have been influenced by Santo's behavior over the years. Politics plays a large role in the Vet committee's deliberations.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)

I agree. How can you be considered a HOF player if you were never considered to be one of the best when you played? MVP winners are sometimes political based on press but all of the best players get at least into the top 5. Was he ever a top five player in baseball when he played? I don't think so. Did you ever do anything that would even arguably be the best of all time? He was a very good player but I don't think he ever was the best or is the best at anything.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 11:15 AM)
I hope he makes it before he dies. Growing up in the 60's and in the Chicago area, I would get home from school and turn on the Cubs. Hey, I was always a Sox fan but it was baseball on TV so I watched. I saw a lot of Ron Santo playing baseball, and in my opinion he deserves to be in the Hall.

Rock, you are a damn good poster here, so don't take this wrong. But I'm not going to argue about it with anybody. I remember just how good Santo was and if anybody else wants to jump in with stats or whatever to shoot my opinion down, you won't change my mind. Brooks Robinson was the best 3b of the era, but Ron Santo was a close second to him. I think the biggest reason he is not in the Hall is because from that '69 team Jenkins, Banks and Williams are in. Banks was a shell of his former self by that time so that shouldn't be held against Santo. In fact, I think Santo deserves it more than Jenkins. I'm rambling now, so I'll stop.

I know I keep ... so much for stopping ... comparing Santo to Brooks. But I look at that comparison like I look at comparing Billy Pierce to Whitey Ford. If one is in, the other should be. And Chicago ends up on the short in in both cases.

I agree with you, numbers-wise he deserves to be in the hall. His persona during the era and the people who vote are the only things that are really keeping him out. Its a shame, but its that way with alot of players who should be there.

QUOTE(knightni @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
AHAHAHAHAHA!

We merge all the Crede threads and what happens?

We talk about Ventura and Ron Friggin' Santo in the thread.

:lol:

Better than the legend of Joe Crede. We are finally talking about some serious 3B.