CREDE CREDE CREDE

NCsoxfan

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
When Aaron Rowand bats 3rd for you, your team pretty much Sucks. If Crede goes to SF, two of our bottom of the order hitters from the world series team could possibly be their 3 and 4 hitters.

Rowand was the primary 5th hitter in Philadelphia last year in an offense that scored 892 runs. He had a monster year, and going from the bandbox in Philly to the cavernous stadium in San Fran will take a ton off of his production...more or less just saying

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)
Rowand was the primary 5th hitter in Philadelphia last year in an offense that scored 892 runs. He had a monster year, and going from the bandbox in Philly to the cavernous stadium in San Fran will take a ton off of his production...more or less just saying

Would you want Rowand as your #3 hitter? Just saying.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 05:25 PM)
The Rowand from last year? Yes. The Rowand from 04? Yes. The Rowand from 03, 05, and 06? God no.

Call me a skeptic, but I think he played way over his head last year. I know I do not subscribe to the grinder/Rowand could walk through a pool of flesh eating fish with meat pants myth, but Rowand does not strike fear in the hearts of pitchers. And with nobody to surround him the the order (ie, Ryan Howard), his stats are going to fall this year.

I'd almost bet that Rowand will have a very poor BA this year and a career high in strikeouts. He's the kind of guy that wants to "make it happen" all the time, so he'll want to try and be "the man" and will probably be less selective and overswing.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Jan 28, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
You think we will get a top notch player for one year of returning from back surgery Joe Crede? I wish we could have worked something out with Crede almost as much as anyone, but that's not looking too likely anymore.

Crede is obviously worth more than a B/C level prospect to the organization. It ain't that hard to trade a Joe Crede for a low ceiling prospect, even with time off and an injury risk. I don't doubt the White Sox want to deal him, but I do doubt it's for a player that won't help them today or even in the next 15 minutes.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Would you want Rowand as your #3 hitter? Just saying.

I'd take last years version of Rowand as my 3 hitter any day of the week. In fact, If Rowand produces like he did last year his contract will be a bargain. I doubt he does, but I think that will be due to him playing in such a pitchers park more than him playing so over his head last year.

Note: I don't think he'd duplicate last season, but I actually think he signed a pretty fair contract. He's a better offensive player than he was on Chicago and if he stays healthy his contract won't be a bad one. However, it won't necessarily be a good one either because San Fran is just so far away, imo.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 07:58 PM)
I'd take last years version of Rowand as my 3 hitter any day of the week. In fact, If Rowand produces like he did last year his contract will be a bargain. I doubt he does, but I think that will be due to him playing in such a pitchers park more than him playing so over his head last year.

Note: I don't think he'd duplicate last season, but I actually think he signed a pretty fair contract. He's a better offensive player than he was on Chicago and if he stays healthy his contract won't be a bad one. However, it won't necessarily be a good one either because San Fran is just so far away, imo.

How about trading Crede to the dodgers for top prospect CHin-Lung-Hu.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)

Eh his numbers weren't THAT much difference between home vs. away in 2007.

Home: .319 avg, 17 HR, 48 RBI

Away: .299 avg, 10 HR, 41 RBI

Not a dramatic difference. His power numbers will suffer a bit, but who wouldn't take .300 on the road? He's a quality player now, but the Giants really overpaid for his services. That's how it goes with free agents, though.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Call me a skeptic, but I think he played way over his head last year. I know I do not subscribe to the grinder/Rowand could walk through a pool of flesh eating fish with meat pants myth, but Rowand does not strike fear in the hearts of pitchers. And with nobody to surround him the the order (ie, Ryan Howard), his stats are going to fall this year.

Don't forget the Phillies also had Chase Utley (.332, 22, 103 in '07), Jimmy Rollins (.296, 30, 94), and Pat Burrell (30 jacks, 97 ribbies) who had extremely solid years. Throw in Howard's 47 and 136, and you have an extremely potent lineup that Rowand happened to be a part of, and he certainly carried his weight with his best season ever. The talent level in Frisco is going to be laughable compared to that, and yes, it is more of a pitchers' park.

Factoring in that '07 was a contract year with a great lineup in a hitters' ballpark, you can look for a significant decline in 2008 for Mr. Rowand. If he had come to the Sox instead, then his numbers probably wouldn't have changed very much. Stick him in our lineup, and we'd be just as good offensively as the Phils were last year, if not better. *sigh*

Out of curiousity would the Sox be considering him as a potential starter or would they seriously be thinking about carrying Thornton/Logan and Kuo in the pen.

Also, I want to point out that he's had some arm troubles in his past and has control issues but there is no denying he has a tremendous arm with good stuff. I don't know if I would do that deal straight up though because I am one of those people that really overrate Joe Crede, lol. Plus I want to see Fields shorten his swing. If Fields shortens his swing I have no doubt he'll be a few time all star during his major league career. If he doesn't, I really don't think he'll ever be as good of an all around player as Joe (that said, I'm not going to lie, he had a very impressive rookie campaign).

Like I said, I'd want something else for Kuo. Kuo would be the equivalent of Andrew Sisco. You know he has great stuff, but the actual production has never been there and he isn't getting any younger. In this case, in addition to arm injuries, Kuo has the command issues that Sisco has (while Sisco has been heatlhy).

I would love Kuo if the Sox were forced to move Masset or someone else that was out of options (I'm assuming Kuo still has an option left) but I definitely wouldn't move Crede for Kuo straight up. Give me something else from the lower levels with some upside and I'll listen.

QUOTE(whitesox94 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 02:23 PM)
a little bit of both, the sox want to get rid of crede and i guess the dodgers have an overcrowded b-pen

Am I the only who thinks that KW is going to seriously undervalue Crede and give him away for a guy like this or that guy Cain in San Fran.

IMHO, a team that wants to win now and needs a third baseman should give up a lot more then that. Joe is provin to be healthy and mobile. Sure he's a one year rental, but if you're in a win now mode you're getting a defensive stud wh ocan hit 30 HR's.

Maybe I overvalue Joe but Joe is at least worth a good #3 starter or 2-3 very good propsects with one being a can't miss prospect.

There's zero reason to trade Crede for an injured emergency starter...unless you're an idiot. The Sox have a chance to shore up their rotation or get some depth in the minors in case some of these older guys break down.

Don't screw this up Kenny!!!!!!

Bob

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 07:43 AM)
Eh his numbers weren't THAT much difference between home vs. away in 2007.

Home: .319 avg, 17 HR, 48 RBI

Away: .299 avg, 10 HR, 41 RBI

Not a dramatic difference. His power numbers will suffer a bit, but who wouldn't take .300 on the road? He's a quality player now, but the Giants really overpaid for his services. That's how it goes with free agents, though.

100 point difference in OPS. Thanks for so sneakily leaving that out.

.937 at home

.843 on the road

That's a monstrous difference, and now he's going to a monstrous stadium. I'd be surprised if he put up an .800 OPS.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 04:53 PM)
Am I the only who thinks that KW is going to seriously undervalue Crede and give him away for a guy like this or that guy Cain in San Fran.

IMHO, a team that wants to win now and needs a third baseman should give up a lot more then that. Joe is provin to be healthy and mobile. Sure he's a one year rental, but if you're in a win now mode you're getting a defensive stud wh ocan hit 30 HR's.

Maybe I overvalue Joe but Joe is at least worth a good #3 starter or 2-3 very good propsects with one being a can't miss prospect.

There's zero reason to trade Crede for an injured emergency starter...unless you're an idiot. The Sox have a chance to shore up their rotation or get some depth in the minors in case some of these older guys break down.

Bob

I think you mean Lowry. Because I'd take Cain in a heartbeat for Crede.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 09:17 PM)
I think you mean Lowry. Because I'd take Cain in a heartbeat for Crede.

KW is doing the smart thing by waiting. I think he is waiting for a team to offer a legit young starting pitcher to become our 5th-6th starter. Obviously were not getting Cain or Linecum for a 1 year of service Crede deal. But now that Lowry is gone would can the Giants offer? Im hearing Sanchez quite a bit. What do the dodgers have to offer? Will they part ways with Billingsley? I doubt it..... I actually wouldn't be suprised if KW tried to trade Crede for Lowe. They are both entering the final year in their contracts.. Everyone seems to think KW is going to trade Crede for young pitching.. Well if he can get a veteran starter like Lowe im sure he will be all over it. Crede-Floyd for Lowe and B level prospect? If you look at LA's starting rotation they have Penny, Lowe, Billingsley, Kuroda, Loaiza and Schmidt. They have 6 starters... hmmm

Im just speculating of course.. but this seems like a KW type move to me.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Mar 9, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)

Bob

360controller.jpg