CREDE CREDE CREDE

NCsoxfan

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
Does SF really need to make a deal? They are going to suck either way - why part with young talent (which I'd assume the Sox want) for a guy that probably won't make them better than a last place team. It seems SF only wants to trade their old talent, and there really isn't a fit for those guys on the Sox.

SF made some offseason moves for not-young players, and they are in a weak division in a weak league. I think they figure, if they put a team out there that doesn't completely suck, they will be competitive most of the season. More butts in the seats.

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
SF made some offseason moves for not-young players, and they are in a weak division in a weak league. I think they figure, if they put a team out there that doesn't completely suck, they will be competitive most of the season. More butts in the seats.

Weak? The NL West? Are you serious?

They have the Rockies, who were the 2007 NL Champs. The Diamondbacks, who won the division last year with 90 wins and added a young stud pitcher Dan Haren. And the Padres, who won 89 games in 2007.

And weak league? Hardly. In 2007, there were 11 teams that won 88 or more games: 6 in the AL, 5 in the NL.

The Giants finished 19 games out of 1st place last year, and there is no chance of them competing in 2008. They wasted their money on Rowand, and if they trade any young talent for Crede, who would amount to a 1 year rental, they are insane.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
Weak? The NL West? Are you serious?

They have the Rockies, who were the 2007 NL Champs. The Diamondbacks, who won the division last year with 90 wins and added a young stud pitcher Dan Haren. And the Padres, who won 89 games in 2007.

And weak league? Hardly. In 2007, there were 11 teams that won 88 or more games: 6 in the AL, 5 in the NL.

The Giants finished 19 games out of 1st place last year, and there is no chance of them competing in 2008. They wasted their money on Rowand, and if they trade any young talent for Crede, who would amount to a 1 year rental, they are insane.

Rockies will be pretty good, so will the D-Backs. I actually for some reason was thinking the D-Backs were in the Cental.

But in any case, as I said, SF isn't going to just give up the ghost because they lack the bats to be a great team. People here seem to forget that - teams want to be competitive, even if they aren't likely to win a championship, because it puts people in the seats.

And you seriously think that the NL isn't the weaker league?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)
Rockies will be pretty good, so will the D-Backs. I actually for some reason was thinking the D-Backs were in the Cental.

But in any case, as I said, SF isn't going to just give up the ghost because they lack the bats to be a great team. People here seem to forget that - teams want to be competitive, even if they aren't likely to win a championship, because it puts people in the seats.

And you seriously think that the NL isn't the weaker league?

I'll agree with you on the NL/AL split, but I have to agree with him on the NLF West. Outside of San Francisco, that division is loaded with talent. I could hypothetically see the Padres competing if one or two of their reclamation projects (Prior?) turn out solid for them, but the other 3 teams are just stocked with ridiculous amounts of young talent. I think it's entirely possible that any of those 3 teams could step up this year and be good enough to hang with the best teams in the AL.

The Dodgers may be the best team in the NL West. That rotation is nasty: 1. Penny 2. Lowe 3. Kuroda 4. Billingsley 5. Schmidt/Loaiza and a back end of the bullpen with Broxton and Saito. They've got a boatload of young promising hitters too (Kemp, Loney, Eithier, and LaRoche).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
I'll agree with you on the NL/AL split, but I have to agree with him on the NLF West. Outside of San Francisco, that division is loaded with talent. I could hypothetically see the Padres competing if one or two of their reclamation projects (Prior?) turn out solid for them, but the other 3 teams are just stocked with ridiculous amounts of young talent. I think it's entirely possible that any of those 3 teams could step up this year and be good enough to hang with the best teams in the AL.

As I said, I for some reason programmed Arizona into the Central in my head before. I was incorrect on that. The NL west is not as weak as I was originally thinking.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)

is there any word on how prior is doing this spring?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
is there any word on how prior is doing this spring?

They're bringing him along very slowly.

Mark Prior threw curveballs for the first time since he had shoulder surgery in April. Every fifth day, he is throwing fastballs at about 75-80 mph. “Prior is coming along,” pitching coach Darren Balsley said. “He hasn't really cut loose. It's not because he's not capable. He doesn't have to test himself yet.”