The Bench

SoxAce

This was kinda gettin to me and it made me think. I'm not sure if it's bothersome or if I'm just being a tired bum posting at 4:30+ in the morning :lol: but currently, the bench looks somethin like this..

Crede

Hall

Owens (maybe Quentin, not smart if it happens)

Ramirez (or AAA)

Ozuna

Richar/Uribe

Anybody I'm missing on that list for the bench I apologize.

Now assuming Crede is (or should I say will be) gone, BA more than likely traded, Uribe possibly gone and Ramirez possibly going to AAA. Is there any player we invite (besides Jason B.) that we could see on the bench since it looks like we will be thin? Maybe a prediction on the invites recently signed that have a shot? Is KW going to address it? Are we gonna use an extra arm (or 2) in the pen instead? Or am I'm just making too much of this and the whole bench/platoon/rest players thing?

Just somethin to chat about near 2+ weeks away from ST.

Well obviously we're going to have 12 pitchers IMHO (especially if they want to hang onto Masset which sounds like a real possibility after KW's comments at SoxFest). So that leaves 4 spots for the bench. Hall, Owens / Quentin and Ozuna are definites.

It may be a good idea to hang onto Uribe for insurance, but I'd still dump his contract if I could. Ramirez could surprise, but probably a good idea for him to start at AAA. So that 4th spot is still up in the air.

I think we'll have that extra pitcher, as DBAH0 said. My prediction of the bench:

Owens

Ramirez and/or Ozuna

Uribe

Hall

I think that's your bench, 4 or 5. I think Ramirez is likely to be on the big club. And I think there is a good chance that Uribe or Ozuna gets traded, in which case, you bring up a Bourgeois or a Getz.

That group does lack one position - first base. But I am sure Uribe (or Bourgeois) could handle learning it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 07:37 AM)
I think we'll have that extra pitcher, as DBAH0 said. My prediction of the bench:

Owens

Ramirez and/or Ozuna

Uribe

Hall

I think that's your bench, 4 or 5. I think Ramirez is likely to be on the big club. And I think there is a good chance that Uribe or Ozuna gets traded, in which case, you bring up a Bourgeois or a Getz.

That group does lack one position - first base. But I am sure Uribe (or Bourgeois) could handle learning it.

Swisher can play first.

12 pitcher + 9 starters + hall ....three spots left means we need someone who can play all three IF spots (uribe), a 4th OFer (owens), and a do it all utility guy (pablo)....replace uribe with ramirez if uribe is traded

KW said crede and fields won't be on the same team...so assume one of them is starting and the other is elsewhere (whether its crede on a diff team, or fields in AAA[which would never happen, KW is just saying that for lip service])

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
well, Uribe has SOME decent power. problem is he's streaky and you can't streak from the bench.

I would have to say that the only time we truly saw Uribe go on a streak was when he was the superutility guy coming off the bench in 2004. Maybe he has to have his comfort level taken away from him

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)
I would have to say that the only time we truly saw Uribe go on a streak was when he was the superutility guy coming off the bench in 2004. Maybe he has to have his comfort level taken away from him

This is exactly how I feel. I might be in the minority but though he'd obviously be an expensive bench player, I'd rather keep Juan than to just dump him off, I really think he holds a lot of value playing that super utility role.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(shipps @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
When I think of a guy in the super utility role I think of a player that will bunt,hit to the other side,make contact and keep the ball in play,play some OF as well as infield,and actually enjoy doing it.Juan is not that.

But Pablo is. And Ramirez might be - we'll have to see.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 09:47 AM)
Would someone please go to Spring Training and step on Ozuna's leg so that the Sox can get a useful player for the bench? Thank you.

Why is Ozuna not useful? He's been solid off the bench for us offensively, brings some speed, and defensively can play lots of positions mediocre-to-poor. That's about as good as you can expect off the bench.

Would someone please go to Spring Training and step on Ozuna's leg so that the Sox can get a useful player for the bench? Thank you.

Pablo actually is a pretty decent bench player. He plays multiple positions, and isn't afraid of tough lefties. He just is not a starter.

You won't get me doing that, Pablo brings a spark to this team. Plus I love his safe signal when he's trying to beat out a ball at first base.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Wasn't Ramirez rumored to have some power as well?

I think he's projected to be 10-15 hrs if he started. I could be wrong, tho.

Anyone think Liefer can make the team as the backup 1B/3B? He's got some pop. Just a thought.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
Anyone think Liefer can make the team as the backup 1B/3B? He's got some pop. Just a thought.

If this team carries 12 pitchers, which all signs suggest they will, then the only way there's room for a guy like that is if Crede and Uribe are both traded and Ramirez doesn't make the team as a replacement.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
Pablo actually is a pretty decent bench player. He plays multiple positions, and isn't afraid of tough lefties. He just is not a starter.

And he can bunt, move runners over and run. I love Pablo coming off the bench.

The only way that I would use Ozuna is as a DH so I would rather find another player that has speed and can bunt but can actually play some defensive positions adequately.

Besides, Ozuna's best days as a utility guy are behind him. He's 33 and coming off a broken leg and speed was his best asset. I think he'll have negative value this year.