The Bench

SoxAce

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
The only way that I would use Ozuna is as a DH so I would rather find another player that has speed and can bunt but can actually play some defensive positions adequately.

Besides, Ozuna's best days as a utility guy are behind him. He's 33 and coming off a broken leg and speed was his best asset. I think he'll have negative value this year.

So then why would you even use him as a DH?If he will have no speed and he has never had power why would DH benefit us?

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
The only way that I would use Ozuna is as a DH so I would rather find another player that has speed and can bunt but can actually play some defensive positions adequately.

Besides, Ozuna's best days as a utility guy are behind him. He's 33 and coming off a broken leg and speed was his best asset. I think he'll have negative value this year.

A broken leg isn't a torn ACL or something like that...broken legs don't slow you down.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 05:36 AM)
IMO, the sox need an OFer who can play all 3 spots well defensively. And hit LHP well. That guy likely would only be available via trade during spring training. Esp. as Ozuna isn't slated to play the OF this year.

With Quentin, Swisher, Dye, and Owens- you have all of the spots covered defensively. Will there be a better outfield threesome in baseball at hitting LHP this year than Quentin, Swisher, and Dye?

So then why would you even use him as a DH?If he will have no speed and he has never had power why would DH benefit us?

Exactly. That's why I don't want him. He does so little for this team. Three years ago he could do a little more when he was younger and faster. But, even then his being on the team was more a factor of the weakness of the bench than his great ability. There's a reason that he's a career minor leaguer. And, now he's an older slower version.

The Sox could do much better at filling this space. I'd even take Bourgeois over him.