2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Lemon @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
Anyone think the Rays would make Wheeler available? If MacD and Masset continue to suck, I think he would fit in nicely as a 7th inning type b/c unlike MacD, he's not a walk machine!

If the Sox decide they need to replace a righty reliever, they have a solid option sitting down at AAA that will cost us less to get (aka nothing) than trading for someone.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 03:43 PM)
A-Rod went down with a strained quad today, looks like he might miss a few games. That could be huge for this week...

IIRC, the Sox have always had decent "success" against Arod, but missing a guy like that is never a bad thing.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Sorry, I didn't say I already have Comcast cable and signed up for the Digital Starter and HdTV packages yesterday. I didn't have any time to play around with it, though. Will I need a different package than this?

Nope.

These are two White Sox "prospects" previous numbers in Charlotte. Both account for about a full season.

Player A - .297/.374/.443/.817 in 639 PAs

Player B - .267/.347/.353/.700 in 760 PAs

Both players have, at one time or another, led the White Sox in stolen bases. One of these players is in his 5th organization and is generally considered a pretty terrible player. The other is a player some people wanted playing CF for this team coming into the season. Guess who's who.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
Player A is Willie Harris and Player B is Jerry Owens

You'd be correct.

What's interesting is that Harris was versatile, seeing as how he could play 2B, emergency SS, and CF/LF, whereas Jerry's left-handedness prevents him from doing that, and the Sox cut bait with him pretty quickly.

The one thing Jerry does much better is steal bases, but that alone shouldn't get you a spot in the starting lineup; quite honestly, that should be the last factor that gets you into the starting lineup. If Jerry can't prove that he's capable of putting up something like .300/.350/.350 (essentially Pods' numbers from 2005), he shouldn't be anywhere near the starting lineup.

I didn't see this posted, but, it may have been and I missed it.

Joe Cowley, Sox beat reporter for the Sun Times, was dogging AJ about throwing out only 16% of basestealers in 2007. Cowley said he wasn't sure he could throw that many out, but that he could sure steal 50% of the time on AJ. AJ challenged Cowley to prove it. To Cowley's credit, he gave it a try - 10 steal attempts on AJ. Here is the video. Its awesome. You need the audio, but be aware, some NSFW language.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
I didn't see this posted, but, it may have been and I missed it.

Joe Cowley, Sox beat reporter for the Sun Times, was dogging AJ about throwing out only 16% of basestealers in 2007. Cowley said he wasn't sure he could throw that many out, but that he could sure steal 50% of the time on AJ. AJ challenged Cowley to prove it. To Cowley's credit, he gave it a try - 10 steal attempts on AJ. Here is the video. Its awesome. You need the audio, but be aware, some NSFW language.

yeah it was posted already and it was in the sun-times couple weeks back. It was real good, Cowley got smoked

It was kind of unfair though, considering that AJ knew he was going to have a runner stealing on him... But Cowley woulda been toast either way.

You can tell how out of shape Cowley is by how he was gassed from running 90 feet a couple of times.

Edited by BearSox