2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
I wonder when the league will put to use the scouting report on Swisher,throw him strikes because he isnt very skilled at hitting the baseball.

if throwing quality strikes whenever you felt like it, and wasn't difficult, a lot more pitchers would have sub 3 ERA's in the league, it's just not as easy as it sounds. now, throw swisher enough get-me-over fastball strikes or offspeed strikes that are right down the middle, and i'm sure he'll have absolutely no problems hitting them

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 12:23 PM)
Based on 3 weeks of play?

No based on his career.From the start I havent been a fan of Nicks abilities or the lack there of.The only thing that has been a surprise to me is coming from him is that he hasnt struck out as much as I thought he would.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
No based on his career.From the start I havent been a fan of Nicks abilities or the lack there of.The only thing that has been a surprise to me is coming from him is that he hasnt struck out as much as I thought he would.

He's got a big OBP, which is exactly what I wanted from him in that position. The hitting will get better, he's not likely to be .230-something for the year.

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 11:25 AM)
I wonder when the league will put to use the scouting report on Swisher,throw him strikes because he isnt very skilled at hitting the baseball.

His power numbers disagree with this statement.

"When our pitchers go out there and do a heck of a job for us, we have to score some more runs for them,’’ Swisher said. ‘‘And it’s going to come. ... We’ve had plenty of opportunities to win a lot of games, and that’s one thing we’re going to have to work on. I think the one thing that we might be doing is trying TOO hard, trying to get the big hit EVERY time.’’

Isnt this the same BS thing they did last year, when the offense started to press. If they are pressing this is not good.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 09:32 PM)
For all those that b****ed and moaned about "missing out" on signing Yasuhiko Yabuta, he left the game tonight with a season ERA of 8.31 in 13 innings, surrendering 19 hits in the process.

I don't think it was Yabuta that everyone b****ed about missing out on, (he was pretty terrible in Japan) it was Masa Kobayashi with Cleveland that everyone really wanted.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)
I don't think it was Yabuta that everyone b****ed about missing out on, (he was pretty terrible in Japan) it was Masa Kobayashi with Cleveland that everyone really wanted.

There were a few who were pissed about Yabuta, and I think I was personally slightly upset. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 1, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
There were a few who were pissed about Yabuta, and I think I was personally slightly upset. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again.

Yeah, you're right Yabuta is the one who signed with the Royals (I was thinking of Fukumori who signed with Texas.) Yes I remember quite a few people were up in arms when the Royals of all teams signed Yabuta.

My bad Tony.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 1, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
Yeah, you're right Yabuta is the one who signed with the Royals (I was thinking of Fukumori who signed with Texas.) Yes I remember quite a few people were up in arms when the Royals of all teams signed Yabuta.

My bad Tony.

Part of it was because of how cheap it was, so in that regards, it's not a terrible investment yet...I think it was 2 year, $4 mill deal. It was just like, the Sox can shell out $1 mill to nearly useless players like Erstad and Timo, $4 mill a year for Linebrink, but they can't offer $2 mill on a short term deal to a reliever who seems pretty good?

At this point, it looks like KW and company were right on Yabuta.

i know it would bring alot of PR trouble (is any pub bad pub though?)...but if bonds would be willing to play 4 times a week and be available to pinch hit he would be absolutely perfect for this team. He could spell Dye against tough righties (if he can play left, which could be troublesome) with CQ playing right. He could spell Thome against tough lefties (.268/.463/.535 vs. LHP last 3 years for bonds, .209/.325/.344 for thome, which is awful). not to mention he would be a dynamite pinch hitter off the bench to hit against tough righties. On days he doesn't play he fills our glaring need for a lefty guy with pop off the bench. As much as I hate the guy (which is alot), he would be a great fit on this team.

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (daa84 @ May 1, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
i know it would bring alot of PR trouble (is any pub bad pub though?)...but if bonds would be willing to play 4 times a week and be available to pinch hit he would be absolutely perfect for this team. He could spell Dye against tough righties (if he can play left, which could be troublesome) with CQ playing right. He could spell Thome against tough lefties (.268/.463/.535 vs. LHP last 3 years for bonds, .209/.325/.344 for thome, which is awful). not to mention he would be a dynamite pinch hitter off the bench to hit against tough righties. On days he doesn't play he fills our glaring need for a lefty guy with pop off the bench. As much as I hate the guy (which is alot), he would be a great fit on this team.

Bonds would be great for several teams. He'd rather "start" than come off the "bench," though I quote them because for Bonds in your scenario, they are essentially the same thing.

I'm sure this has been mentioned elsewhere but what is up with WCIU claiming it's an HD broadcast? Whenever we play on The U the signal comes in at 480. Isn't that false advertisement? I have DirecTv HD btw.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ May 2, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)
WCIUHD comes through at 1080i on my TV and the picture quality is great, kicks the s*** out of CSN. I have Comcast by the way.

I just sent DirecTv an email questioning this mess.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ May 2, 2008 -> 04:25 PM)
They have some polos and stuff, but not a basic T.

I'd say get that paper that lets you iron logos and stuff onto shirts. Then find an MLB logo, reverse the image, print it out, and iron it onto a basic t-shirt.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ May 2, 2008 -> 03:28 PM)
I'd say get that paper that lets you iron logos and stuff onto shirts. Then find an MLB logo, reverse the image, print it out, and iron it onto a basic t-shirt.

Did I hear copyright infringement?

58314-BudSelig.jpg