2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ May 11, 2008 -> 10:25 AM)
I see veteran lefty reliever Ray King signed with Charlotte

I liked that guy a few years ago but unless there is an injury, we have no room for him.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ May 8, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
Is there video anywhere of Buehrle going nuts on the space heater? I missed it...

Oh, they just showed it on CSN. That was freakin' hilarious. :lolhitting

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
Terrible article by a terrible writer.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...2.column?page=2

I've said for years the reason I believe the Cubs are so popular is that more people are dumb than are smart in this world. Articles like this by Cub mouth pieces in the media make me think that statement was dead on.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 13, 2008 -> 05:40 AM)
fathom...are you Mike Downey?

This article is just so stupid. 5 days ago, Cubs fans were in panic mode after getting blasted by the Reds. Now they're putting in vacation requests to go to the World Series celebration.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2008 -> 11:44 PM)
This article is just so stupid. 5 days ago, Cubs fans were in panic mode after getting blasted by the Reds.

May I ask you why you follow the Cubs and their fans so much? I assume it involved being surrounded by them at work or something?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 13, 2008 -> 05:46 AM)
May I ask you why you follow the Cubs and their fans so much? I assume it involved being surrounded by them at work or something?

Oh yeah, it's horrible at work. Consider yourself lucky you're in Michigan most of the year. The Cubs bandwagon is getting pretty bad already. Oh, and Ron Santo might be my least favorite person in the world, besides my mother-in-law.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2008 -> 12:57 AM)
Oh yeah, it's horrible at work. Consider yourself lucky you're in Michigan most of the year. The Cubs bandwagon is getting pretty bad already. Oh, and Ron Santo might be my least favorite person in the world, besides my mother-in-law.

Have you considered avoiding watching/listening Cubs games on TV/Radio? Perhaps tone down the Cubs article reading? Turn the channel when Chicago Tribune Live slurps the Cubs? Avoid anything that had to do with Dan Plesac, Len Kasper, Bob Brenly, Ron Santo, and Jay Marriotti? Not reading the Cubs thread in The Diamond Club? I've done just this, and been Cubs free for months. It's quite refreshing.

I've been back in Chicago on Summer break for almost 3 weeks now and I haven't had many run-in's with the Cub craziness. And I've been downtown more than usual the past couple weeks.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 13, 2008 -> 07:02 AM)
Have you considered avoiding watching/listening Cubs games on TV/Radio? Perhaps tone down the Cubs article reading? Turn the channel when Chicago Tribune Live slurps the Cubs? Avoid anything that had to do with Dan Plesac, Len Kasper, Bob Brenly, Ron Santo, and Jay Marriotti? Not reading the Cubs thread in The Diamond Club? I've done just this, and been Cubs free for months. It's quite refreshing.

I've been back in Chicago on Summer break for almost 3 weeks now and I haven't had many run-in's with the Cub craziness. And I've been downtown more than usual the past couple weeks.

It's funny, I actually refuse to watch Chicago Tribune Live. David Kaplan is such a sellout. I enjoy talking about the Cubs in the Diamond Club, as usually it's other Sox fans in there that hate the Cubs.

QUOTE (fathom @ May 13, 2008 -> 12:07 AM)
It's funny, I actually refuse to watch Chicago Tribune Live. David Kaplan is such a sellout. I enjoy talking about the Cubs in the Diamond Club, as usually it's other Sox fans in there that hate the Cubs.

What the hell happened to Dan Jiggetts? I noticed this since I've been back. All the ads and promos still say Dan Jiggetts...

Downey I think is overall good.

But that was not a good effort.

The Sox don't deserve a standing ovation.

Anybody who has followed the team closely realizes the team just is not playing well.

I'm grateful we are in the race, but that's about it.

Jimmy, Paulie - A joke thus far. Any sane person would agree. Or a C minus at best.

OC and Swish - Very disappointing starts. OC got four hits two nights ago, Swish has looked better at the plate. I applaud them for that.

AJP and Dye - Doing pretty well. Earning their money, but lots of clutch hits lacking.

Quentin - Marvelous.

Bobby - Great.

Linebrink and Dotel - Decent of late, especially Linebrink.

Starters - Yes they have been very good. Most of us are excited about them.

Uribe - We applauded his hard slide and effort there.

Crede - I think everybody respects his comeback. He'll at least rap a clutch hit once in a while.

I think most of us are hopeful. But most of us I think are sick of the awful station to station baseball when our big boppers are not hitting the ball out of the park.

And like many sluggers in the AL and NL, our sluggers are not doing so.

No standing ovation. But no stadium full of boos either.

Not as long as the rest of the division continues to sputter as well.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (fathom @ May 12, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
Terrible article by a terrible writer.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...2.column?page=2

What is wrong with the article? I believe Downey is a Sox backer and the Trib is a whole lot more pro-Sox than the times and their writers seem to be 50/50 with Rogers and Sullivan heavily backing the cub.

He seemed right on the money, just read this board.

What I don't understand is the Walker bashers refusing to bash any other coach. Why is it the coach's fault when a player strikeouts out, but not the coach's fault when a player misses a cutoff man for the upteenth time? How many times is Swisher going to air mail the infield allowing runners to advance before he or a coach is held accountable?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 14, 2008 -> 11:53 AM)
What I don't understand is the Walker bashers refusing to bash any other coach. Why is it the coach's fault when a player strikeouts out, but not the coach's fault when a player misses a cutoff man for the upteenth time? How many times is Swisher going to air mail the infield allowing runners to advance before he or a coach is held accountable?

To me that part of the game falls on the manager. At the end of the day it is the manager who sets the tone and unless he benches guys or gets on them or discusses/communicates with them what not to do than a player is probably going to continue making the same mistakes.

Fundementally the Sox have been absolutely horrific this season (Position wise) and I put that blame on both the players but also the coaching staff. About the only coach that I'm completely happy with is Don Cooper because I just really love his approach to pitching. I also have no problem with Cox on 3rd as I think he's done a pretty darn solid job. Can't comment on Baines at 1st because being a 1st base coach isn't tough, it is the other stuff that he contributes that should be important and since I'm not in the clubhouse I'm not privy to such circumstances.

The big thing this team misses is Nossek, a legitimate, baseball guy who just flat out knows the game, more importantly the strategies of the game, which is something Ozzie is very clueless in. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Ozzie's best qualities are the intangibles he brings to the clubhouse and if he can't get the best out of his players and force quality fundamentals than he probably shouldn't be managing because he's one of the worse managers in the game in terms of "strategy".

Interestingly enough, on mlbtraderumors.com, there is a little blurb where Jonathan Mayo predicts the top 10 draft picks this year, and he has the White Sox selecting Gordon Beckham, ss. Would love that pick.