2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 22, 2008 -> 04:22 PM)
And those balls in play aren't LD's have been poorly-hit balls. If you are just barely making contact and rolling over on pitches, your BABIP is going to be bad. That doesn't mean you're unlucky.

Yeah, but his LD% is at his career norm...meaning he's been unlucky thus far and will almost assuredly have his luck improve in the future.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 22, 2008 -> 10:59 PM)
I got a feeling that a Carlos Quentin jersey is going to be a hot commodity very soon.

It's in my future plans once I get some money in the bank this summer (college student, summer worker).

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ May 22, 2008 -> 09:59 PM)
I got a feeling that a Carlos Quentin jersey is going to be a hot commodity very soon.

My black alternate Rowand jersey will be turning into a Quentin jersey sometime in the not too distant future.

even if we don't make the playoffs this year, i have a good feeling about this teams future with the players we currently have

you have to think there's at least a 50% chance that Fields will be playing 3B for us sooner rather than later, and couple that with Swisher (He'll come around I think), Alexei (in his recent playing time, you can see definite talent with this guy and he's playing an above average 2B IMO), Quentin (Nothing needs to be said here), and Danks+Floyd+Mark+Javy anchoring our rotation for the next 3+ years. when Jim leaves/retires, we'll still have some veteran presense in the lineup for the youngsters with Dye probably moving to DH and Paulie hanging around at 1B, along with AJ doing an excellent job behind the plate with Toby backing him up (Toby looks like, at least so far.. last year's lack of production was definitely injury-related).

a 2010 Lineup that looks like this

1. Chone Figgins (FA signing!) 2B

2. AJ Pierzynski C

3. Carlos Quentin LF

4. Jermaine Dye DH

5. Paul Konerko 1B

6. Nick Swisher LF

7. Josh Fields 3B

8. Brian Anderson CF

9. Alexei Ramirez SS

feel free to disagree with the batting order, but that lineup wouldn't disappoint me in the slightest assuming Brian has turned the corner and Alexei pans out to be better offensively than Uribe (How hard could that be?)

sorry, it's just that the way we're playing right now has me feeling good and optimistic about this team right now and in the future

Regardless of how our lineup looks in 2010, I think Kenny has the pieces in place to help him make this team competitive for the years ahead, either via starting position players in our organization or to grab other players via trades

Edit: Does anyone know when Brian Roberts will be a free agent, is it 2009?

Edited by joesaiditstrue

"And if we win it all again, oh man, I will be so cocky this time they won't be able to stand my ass. I will rub it in peoples' face. When we won in 2005, I was in the back just taking it easy. If we win now, no matter what stage it is in my career, believe me, I will rub it in people's faces."
--Guillen

QUOTE (Heads22 @ May 23, 2008 -> 05:04 PM)
"And if we win it all again, oh man, I will be so cocky this time they won't be able to stand my ass. I will rub it in peoples' face. When we won in 2005, I was in the back just taking it easy. If we win now, no matter what stage it is in my career, believe me, I will rub it in people's faces."
--Guillen

Me too Ozzie. Basking in the glory of a WS was beautiful one time. Next time will be soooo much more fun and will definitely be taken advantage of.

QUOTE (Nokona @ May 24, 2008 -> 03:11 AM)
Me too Ozzie. Basking in the glory of a WS was beautiful one time. Next time will be soooo much more fun and will definitely be taken advantage of.

Kidna weird how that works out. You're supposed to go nuts the 1st time, and act like you've been there the next time.

gamethread streak over :(

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 23, 2008 -> 09:00 AM)
Well that and a $150 million payroll helps...

just curious...how many other $100+ million teams have won the World Series? $85+ mill?

Now how many of them have won two? And how many of them have replenished their minor league system during the same time period like the Red Sox have?

Anyone that says Bill James hasn't had an effect on the Red Sox is fooling themselves. The Yankees haven't won, the Mets haven't won, the Angels haven't won since they started spending, the Rangers sure as hell haven't won, and the Sox haven't been successful since they started spending either. Money doesn't guarantee success - you have to do something right, and the Sawks have figured it out.

So yeah, sure, you can tell everybody that it's the money that's doing it, but there's something more to it than just the money.

trying not to overreact w/ these last two losses. at least we're not losing 13-1 or 8-0. pitching is still there. even octavio had one hell of an inning yesterday. and friday's game had us hitting against a guy with a sub 1.4 ERA on the year, we just got beat that day. it was hard to swallow yesterday's loss (getting shut out is painful), but I don't see that much of a difference in production between us and the Angels to be quite honest. in fact I think our starting rotation as a whole is better than theirs, just wondering when these guys will start hitting. after 2007, i will not hop on the bandwagon necessarily that "They'll come around", though i think warm weather will help

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 25, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Shouldn't have anything to do with it, as it's his left shoulder that was surgically repaired and he throws right handed.

oh, okay, that makes me feel a bit relieved. Perhaps he just had some tightness in his throwing arm, because those two throws he made yesterday were pitiful.

QUOTE (29andPoplar @ May 25, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
Shouldn't have anything to do with it, as it's his left shoulder that was surgically repaired and he throws right handed.

oh, okay, that makes me feel a bit relieved. Perhaps he just had some tightness in his throwing arm, because those two throws he made yesterday were pitiful.

QUOTE (BearSox @ May 25, 2008 -> 11:26 AM)

Yes they were and even in SanFran he had a couple throws that were weak.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ May 22, 2008 -> 10:29 AM)
What's up with the Wilder thread? It disappeared to be worked on? And now the "placeholder" thread is closed too? Did somebody say too much?

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ May 25, 2008 -> 05:58 AM)
I'd like to know too. What's going on? How come it's getting the ex-girlfriend treatment?

It was speculation.

We never got confirmation, so we deleted it.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 25, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
It was speculation.

We never got confirmation, so we deleted it.

I still don't see the point of deleting. Most of the stuff we talk about anyway, like trades and such is speculation.