2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
Because we don't already have more outfielders than at bats to go around?

No, because Lofton can still get on base and run and is a far better player than Jerry Owens. His being 40 means he will require some time off so he fits into Owens' supposed role only he's a superior player. He isn't going to cost much money.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greg775 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
Was just reading an article here about Miguel Olivo today. Wouldn't you rather

have him as AJ's backup than Hall? Just askin.

If we could get them at equal cost, sure. But Hall is already under contract for this season. Hall is going to be paid about $2 million no matter what. So is any upgrade from him to Olivo worth extra money?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
If we could get them at equal cost, sure. But Hall is already under contract for this season. Hall is going to be paid about $2 million no matter what. So is any upgrade from him to Olivo worth extra money?

I would have had no problem with the Sox eating the $1.75M remaining on Hall's deal if it meant signing Olivo. What's $1.75M to a team like the Sox? Hell MacDougal is going to make more than that next year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 08:31 PM)
I would have had no problem with the Sox eating the $1.75M remaining on Hall's deal if it meant signing Olivo. What's $1.75M to a team like the Sox? Hell MacDougal is going to make more than that next year.

I guarantee Toby Hall improves on his 2007 performance. He still might suck, but he can't possibly be as bad as last season.

Was just reading an article here about Miguel Olivo today. Wouldn't you rather

have him as AJ's backup than Hall? Just askin.

Absolutely. The only defense for why Hall is on this team is because of his so called talent to hit LHP. Olivo blows him out of the water in that category along with defensive skills.

I guarantee Toby Hall improves on his 2007 performance.

scottj made the same post and you had a great response to it. Something along the lines of "how could he possibly be wrose than the worst major league player in 2007?" :lolhitting

It'd be nice to see Hall have a big comeback year.

AJP definitely needs some rest once in a while. And if Hall is as bad as last year,

we can't afford to rest AJ.

p.s. Here's hoping there's some life in the ball this year. We still are full of power hitters,

like Thome, Paullie, AJP, Dye, Josh. It'd be nice to see the ball carrying deep.

Also, by no means do I want them on the Sox, but I'm surprised nobody is taking a chance

on Sosa or Mike Sweeney. Nobody will sign them on the cheap.

Edited by greg775

Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere else, but Danks has learned a cutter, and appearantly its very impressive. It's being compared to Buehrle's cutter, and Fields took a few AB's vs. Danks today, and said that the cutter was "nasty" and even better than Danks had been raving about.

God I hope this is for real. If Danks has mastered a cutter, then I really really feel good about him next year. With Floyd being praised beyong belief, Danks appearant "sick" cutter, and MacDougal doing really well, there is a LOT to be excited about these Spring Training games.

QUOTE(JoeCoolMan24 @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 10:23 PM)
God I hope this is for real. If Danks has mastered a cutter, then I really really feel good about him next year.

I feel great about him THIS year. I'm a huge fan of Danks and I even have expectations for him this season. To the few Danks fans here. :cheers :cheers

Not sure if it was mentioned anywhere else, but Danks has learned a cutter, and appearantly its very impressive. It's being compared to Buehrle's cutter, and Fields took a few AB's vs. Danks today, and said that the cutter was "nasty" and even better than Danks had been raving about.

God I hope this is for real. If Danks has mastered a cutter, then I really really feel good about him next year. With Floyd being praised beyong belief, Danks appearant "sick" cutter, and MacDougal doing really well, there is a LOT to be excited about these Spring Training games.

I like hearing this kind of stuff too. But take it all with a grain of salt. This is almost a spring training tradition.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)
I feel great about him THIS year. I'm a huge fan of Danks and I even have expectations for him this season. To the few Danks fans here. :cheers :cheers

Define fan? Cause I like Danks and I think he can eventually be semi successful but right now between him, JC and Floyd I just think there is such a high chance for failure.

dayn perry listed KW as the 9th best GM in the game...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7815398...pieces-together

9. Ken Williams, White Sox

Until last season, the White Sox had never suffered a losing season on Williams' watch, and of course he's got that 2005 World Series trophy to his credit. What's also impressive is that the Sox under Williams have drawn at least 2.3 million in home attendance in each of the last three seasons, something that's happened only once before in franchise history. Williams was forced to learn on the job to an extent, but he's evolved into a fearless GM who always strives for contention.

QUOTE(fathom @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 08:59 AM)
Uribe's going to end up being our everyday starter at 2nd base this year.

Snacks and Cakes was already headed down this route. Any other material just helps build up the case for S&C.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 09:25 PM)
Richar having visa problems?

Thats just gotta be stupidity because hes already been in the US.

The U.S. government keeps changing the visa rules, and I'm pretty sure Richar isn't the only MLB regular currently having problems.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 11:38 AM)
The U.S. government keeps changing the visa rules, and I'm pretty sure Richar isn't the only MLB regular currently having problems.

I've read of at least 13 players who have had trouble getting back into the country.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 10:26 PM)

Ah, I meant next year as in the season that starts in 5 weeks. Not as in 2009. :headbang

Call me extrememly optimistic about Danks, but I am feeling a 12 win season, with an ERA in the mid-to-low 4's. :ph34r:

This is the kind of s*** you read about every year. Everyone is either in the best shape of their lives and looking amazing come the first few days of spring training.

It doesnt matter, the visa is the key to his entire life. He has an agent, which means he has an attorney in the United States. Its just plain negligence to not have your attorney on that type of thing.

I mean if I had a client who worked in the United States and needed a visa, i can guarantee that I would keep myself updated on all visa laws regardless of how new they were.

Laws change all the time, city of Chicago changes laws all the time, if its important enough you make sure that its not a problem.

I work with visas and attorneys who do immigration, our clients arent MLB players but we some how manage to make it so their visas dont expire or have problems when they are reentering the US.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 11:55 AM)
It doesnt matter, the visa is the key to his entire life. He has an agent, which means he has an attorney in the United States. Its just plain negligence to not have your attorney on that type of thing.

I mean if I had a client who worked in the United States and needed a visa, i can guarantee that I would keep myself updated on all visa laws regardless of how new they were.

Laws change all the time, city of Chicago changes laws all the time, if its important enough you make sure that its not a problem.

I work with visas and attorneys who do immigration, our clients arent MLB players but we some how manage to make it so their visas dont expire or have problems when they are reentering the US.

As for Liriano, the Twins still weren't sure exactly when he'd show up. Liriano has been throwing at the team's development academy in the Dominican Republic while waiting for visa clearance. The hope was for the left-hander to arrive by Saturday, when the first full-squad workout takes place.
Link