2008 White Sox Catch-All Thread

Heads22

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For everyone who thinks playing Toby Hall at 1st base last year was stupid, what are your thoughts about having MacDougal, a guy who throws hard, but even in midseason form a guy with very little command, pitching batting practice to major league players? Let him throw to some minor leaguers. If they aren't there yet, let him throw to those plastic dummies. You're just asking for trouble having him throw to people you are counting on, or looking to trade.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 04:55 PM)
On First and 10 this morning they kept mentioning that the Sox should sign Bonds. I'm thinking that won't happen.

i love the sox more than i hate bonds, so if we signed him, i think i would ultimately be happy....the guy put up 28 HR in 470 ABs last year and had a .480 OBP...if we go cabrera, swisher, bonds, konerko, thome, dye, AJ, fields, richar....damn thats a ton of obp from 2-5

and yeah...id play him in left against righties and let him DH against lefties...(of course giving him plenty of days with quentin/owens filling in)

Edited by daa84

Ozzie on Mike North:

He would love to have Owens in CF and Swisher in LF. But is looking to start Quentin against CC on opening day. So this pretty much means his BS about OBP was a smokescreen and that a platoon that favors Owens as the start will be put in place. This is the only team in baseball where the 4th OF type is the starter and the high OBP projectable is the 4th OF. Thank god we love our speedster bantam weights that will cruise in with the sub .320 OBP. Woo hoo Pods Jr.

He was stating that Uribe played a lot of second base and should try to play there everyday. This means that Snacks and Cakes will be back in the starter role swinging for the fence on every pitch. Again dumb. He is going to have a closed door with Uribe today.

Oh and the best. If Crede plays well he will be the starter. Fields will be moved (down to AAA). He states that its not fair, but he has to do what he thinks is the best for the team. He will talk to Fields and Crede individually today about the situation.

He stated again that Floyd and Javy are throwing the best so far.

If Fields and Richar are both in AAA I will be livid.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 19, 2008 -> 12:08 AM)
The decision has already been made, I can guarantee you that. Baring injury Buehrle will take the ball on March 31st in Cleveland.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2008/02...tion_set_1.html

Starting rotation set

TUCSON, Ariz. - Manager Ozzie Guillen unofficially made it official on Friday that Mark Buehrle would indeed start his sixth Opening Day in the last seven years.

The way the rotation sets up right now – with a slight subject to change – It will be Buehrle against Cleveland in the opener, followed by Javier Vazquez and John Danks. Jose Contreras would then start the three-game series in Detroit, followed by Gavin Floyd and then Buehrle.

As far as the home opener, that will fall to Vazquez, rewarding the veteran right-hander for his 15-8 2007 season.

With Cactus League play starting next week, Buehrle is scheduled to start the first intrasquad game, while Vazquez will start intrasquad game No. 2. That means Danks pitches the Cactus League opener against Colorado on Feb. 27.

MAR 31 @ CLE: Buehrle

APR 2 @ CLE: Vazquez

APR 3 @ CLE: Danks

APR 4 @ DET: Contreras

APR 5 @ DET: Floyd

APR 6 @ DET: Buehrle

APR 7 vs MIN: Vazquez (Home Opener)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 01:03 PM)
http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/2008/02...tion_set_1.html

MAR 31 @ CLE: Buehrle

APR 2 @ CLE: Vazquez

APR 3 @ CLE: Danks

APR 4 @ DET: Contreras

APR 5 @ DET: Floyd

APR 6 @ DET: Buehrle

APR 7 vs MIN: Vazquez (Home Opener)

odds that the sox are 0-6 for the home opener?

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
So, Uribe and Crede both will be playing a lot? So will Owens? God, Ozzie will never learn.. :(

Crede and Uribe have to play enough to be seen by other teams. If they aren't traded and play a lot at the end of ST, then there is a problem.

QUOTE(G&T @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
Crede and Uribe have to play enough to be seen by other teams. If they aren't traded and play a lot at the end of ST, then there is a problem.

Oh, I guess I was understanding the quote wrong. I thought he meant they would be playing a lot during the season, not ST. I am all for them playing everyday during ST.

My bad.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 11:12 PM)
Oh, I guess I was understanding the quote wrong. I thought he meant they would be playing a lot during the season, not ST. I am all for them playing everyday during ST.

My bad.

Well, looking at it again, I might be wrong, but I still think they are trying to spin the Uribe situation for a trade.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 12:04 PM)
I see from MLB.com reports that now the Red Sox are reportedly ready to sign Colon to a minor league deal. What happened to the W. Sox supposed interest? Or does MLB have the color wrong?

The White Sox rumors the second time around weren't true.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
The White Sox rumors the second time around weren't true.

I just have mixed feelings about signing anyone-no matter how good they were-once they had arm problems. Maybe a minor leaue deal is ok, but still you always wonder about health issues for pitchers. What is the latest on Freddie Garcia, if anyone knows?

QUOTE(max power @ Feb 26, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
Weird that bart would turn down an "incentive laden deal" from us and accept a minor league deal from the Red sox. Maybe he feels like he has a better chance at making the rotation there.

Most likely the Sox offered him a better deal, Colon thought he could do even better, Kenny got pissed and withdrew the contract offer, and Colon had to settle for the Red Sox minor league deal.

I bet the Sox offer was still on the table. I also think Colon is pretty sure he'll be in a rotation all year, and the $7 mill the Red Sox said they'd give him if he makes 30 starts wooed him away from the White Sox. I doubt KW or anyone in the White Sox front office wanted to give him more than $5 mill or so.

Fields doesn't sign Contract sheet

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Twenty-one players agreed to one-year contracts with the White Sox on Wednesday, the sort of standard news expected to come early on in Cactus League action for players with less than three years of service.

But it was Josh Fields' decision not to sign off on his contract which drew the most attention. Fields' move, made in conjunction with Jeff Berry, his agent, means the White Sox will renew his contract on March 2. The second-year third baseman said the final call on the matter ultimately belonged to him, but all sides understood the situation following a call with Fields, Berry and assistant general manager Rick Hahn.

This move is more about posturing for future contracts, such as if the two sides some day go to arbitration. Fields explained how it had nothing to do with trying to send a message to the organization for more money.

"It was a decision, you know, I pay my agent for a reason," Fields said. "He kind of thought that was the best decision for us.

"There really wasn't a specific reason. He did the same thing with [Mark] Buehrle back in the day, and he has a reason behind why he does it. It's no disrespect between the White Sox and us. It's just a thing we decided to do and chose to do."

Fields chuckled when it was mentioned to him how only two players in this particular service time category have chosen not to sign with the White Sox over the last eight years, and they both were Berry clients. But Fields does not view Wednesday's news as any sort of big deal, hoping there's nothing to talk about down the line in regard to contractual squabbles.

"Other people may view it as disrespect from me to the White Sox or disrespect from the White Sox to me, but it's not like that at all," Fields said. "It's something we can choose to do and it's something we chose to do."

Focus on the field: Bobby Jenks set a franchise record with the largest one-year deal for a player with two years of service, when the White Sox and closer agreed to a $550,000 deal. Jenks did not seem bothered by the lack of a multi-year deal for the team's most important bullpen piece, and also seemed more inclined to talk about pitching than contractual matters.

"Yeah, it's part of the deal," Jenks said. "Getting ready for the season, that's all that matters right now. It's between the front office and my agent. I worry about what I do on the field and let them take care of the rest.

"Whatever I can do to help the team right now ... I go out there and get three outs in the ninth. That's what I do. I don't worry about that [contractual] stuff. I let my attitude on the field dictate what I get later on."

Jenks, who will be arbitration-eligible in 2009, threw one scoreless inning during his Cactus League debut Wednesday against Colorado.

"I feel great," Jenks said. "It's the best I have felt during the three years I've been here."

Early scratch: Non-roster invite Jason Bourgeois replaced Jerry Owens in Wednesday's starting lineup, both in center field and in the leadoff spot, as Owens continued to be bothered by right groin soreness.

"It's more precautionary, as it's not feeling like I thought it would," Owens said. "I've tweaked muscles before and you go home, get a good night of sleep and it's fine. But this is still kind of lingering. For now, it's still day-to-day."

Owens said the plan is to continue testing the injury and then give White Sox athletic trainer Herm Schneider an update on his condition. Owens added he can do everything but explode with his speed right now, but doesn't want to risk doing more damage to the most important part of his game.

"That's the biggest thing," Owens said. "I don't want it to be June 15 and still dealing with the groin.

"For the time being, I talked to Ozzie [Guillen, manager] and Kenny [Williams, general manager], and they both want me to be healthy. My game is my legs and me being 60 percent won't give my team any help. I don't want it to carry on into the season."

Slow out of the gate: Soreness in Matt Thornton's elbow prior to arriving in Tucson has limited the hard-throwing southpaw to side sessions through the first week of the Cactus League season. Thornton said Wednesday that the pain was no reason for concern, and he should be back in game action by the middle of next week at the latest.

"I got it taken care of and it set me back a little bit and I didn't throw for a little bit," Thornton said. "And then Herm got me on a throwing program that I just finished up and now I'm letting the reins loose and I'm ready to go.

"I'm just a little behind. That's all."

Around the horn: John Danks, Gavin Floyd, Ehren Wasserman, Danny Richar, Brian Anderson, Carlos Quentin and Owens highlighted the list of other players who signed off on one-year deals.