Harold Baines Will Be The New Outfield Statue

Al Lopez's Ghost

This is from Reifert's latest blog:

"On Friday, I travelled to Highwood with a former player and his wife to check out the newest sculpture. It is always unnerving to see yourself in clay (so I'm told), and it was fun to watch his and her reaction. As emails of the sculpture were sent out to children, the couple laughed at the positive responses. Unveiling is tentatively scheduled for July 20 for this year's addition to the outfield walk of fame."

My guess is Harold.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea it has to be Harold. Since the last one was Fisk.. I think they are going in order of retirement. Next will be Big Frank....

BTW i think its awesome the White Sox are doing this... paying respect to White Sox legends by putting statues out on the concourse...

Im thinking the next 3 will be Frank Thomas, Paul Konerko and Mark Buerhle.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
No that it will ever happen, but I still think "Shoeless" Joe Jackson should have a statue.

He played 5 1/2 seasons in Chicago, less than half of his 13 year career.

Yes, he was good, but he's not statue-worthy. The only reason he's known is for 1919.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)

Yes, he was good, but he's not statue-worthy. The only reason he's known is for 1919.

To clarify some ambiguity:

You mean the only reason he's known as a White Sox is because of that World Series, right? Unlike, say, Chick Gandil, who is probably known only for that?

Jackson was incredible. Ruth modelled his swing and approach on him. Cobb thought he'd hit .400 every year with the live ball.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
I think Veeck should get one. Didn't he actually save the franchise?

I think it will be Harold. Guillen may get one as well.

Who are they playing June 20th?

I think Bill Veeck does deserve special recognition

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
Yes knighti,I was aware his numbers are good.But for a statue I would think you need to be an absolute icon.

It's knightni, ships. :bang

I see you missed the part about him being JR's illegitimate son. :)

Honestly, the Sox don't have much history when it comes to player loyalty (ie. players here longer than 6 years)

They're historically too cheap to re-sign them in their expensive years.

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 10:39 AM)

Hmm. I found this interesting about Jackson. in 1911, with Cleveland, he batted .408 in 571 AB's. Ted Williams batted .406 in 456 AB's. Most of the other stats are in Williams favor, but given 100+ more at bats, could Williams have hit .400?

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
Hmm. I found this interesting about Jackson. in 1911, with Cleveland, he batted .408 in 571 AB's. Ted Williams batted .406 in 456 AB's. Most of the other stats are in Williams favor, but given 100+ more at bats, could Williams have hit .400?

There may be a 115 AB difference between the two but there's only a difference of 35 PA. Ted Williams walked 147 times in 1941 compared to Jackson's 56 walks in 1911. Not a huge difference in offensive opportunities.