Harold Baines Will Be The New Outfield Statue

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
It's knightni, ships. :bang

Honestly, the Sox don't have much history when it comes to player loyalty (ie. players here longer than 6 years)

They're historically too cheap to re-sign them in their expensive years.

Let's see some comparison with other teams to back that up. How do they compare to the other 26 teams that have been around for 30 years plus?

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
Let's see some comparison with other teams to back that up. How do they compare to the other 26 teams that have been around for 30 years plus?

When I get home from work, I'll go all Baseball Almanac on you. :bang :D

For now though, the basic premise of my post was mostly speaking of teams pre-free agency.

So, players from 1901-1978 primarily.

Well, the other issue is, that the Sox historically have never had that many Hall of Fame-caliber players on their rosters.

There are maybe 2 or 3 guys in the last 30 years. (Fisk, Thomas, maybe Baines)

Not counting guys who played on the Sox past their primes (Seaver, Carlton).

Before that: Rich Gossage, Luis Aparicio, Hoyt Wilhelm, Nellie Fox, Early Wynn, Larry Doby, George Kell.

Non-HOF but good: (Wilber Wood, Jim Kaat, Tommy John, Dick Allen, Rocky Colavito, Norm Cash)

I think Harold deserves a statue. After all, his number is retired. So logically if his number is retired, why is a statue not appropriate?

Baines is the classic Whitesox. He spans two eras. Supposedly Bill Veeck "discovered" Baines at age 13. Baines was acquired 3? different times.

He has 2866 career knocks. If Baines could have squuezed one more solid season out of that arthritic lower body he may have reach the arbitrary cut off of 3000 hits which "fast tracks" players to the HOF.

Besides if any posters remember the post 83 malaise this organization went through.

The Hawk wants you etc.

Fisk in LF!

Dealing a young Bobby Bonilla.

The attempted re-location to Florida and the politics of trying to secure the financing of the Cell.

Harold was a real professional and a damn fine hitter on several sub-mediocre teams of that era 84, 86, 87,88, and his deal to Texas in 89 initiated a new direction of the Himes era from 90-94. The move brought in Wilson Alvarez, Scooter Fletcher, and Roid Head which I remember fondly as very sucessful era.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Feb 2, 2008 -> 09:55 AM)
Any bets on who runs faster? The statue of Paul or Paul?

I don't think that Paulie will have a statue to race. Because if they erect one for him, they're going to need statues for Robin Ventura, Roberto Hernandez, Maggs, and every other really-good-but-not-HOF-caliber former Sox player.

Edited by WCSox