Harold Baines Will Be The New Outfield Statue

Al Lopez's Ghost

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
I don't think that Paulie will have a statue to race. Because if they erect one for him, they're going to need statues for Robin Ventura, Roberto Hernandez, Maggs, and every other really-good-but-not-HOF-caliber former Sox player.

I wouldn't write off Pauly so quickly. If he gets another contract extention, we could be talking about the all time leading home run hitter in Chicago White Sox history. That isn't a light statement to make.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)
I wouldn't write off Pauly so quickly. If he gets another contract extention, we could be talking about the all time leading home run hitter in Chicago White Sox history. That isn't a light statement to make.

He's also the only ALCS MVP in team history. That's gotta count for something too.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 11:16 AM)

I'm making the assumption that Paulie won't be in Chicago past 2010. If he does get that extension, and is productive into his late 30s, I agree that he'd have a strong case. Otherwise, the '05 playoffs are the only thing that separates him from guys like Maggs and Robin Ventura.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 05:12 PM)
I'm making the assumption that Paulie won't be in Chicago past 2010. If he does get that extension, and is productive into his late 30s, I agree that he'd have a strong case. Otherwise, the '05 playoffs are the only thing that separates him from guys like Maggs and Robin Ventura.

Well that and about 150 more HRs than anyone in White Sox history not named Frank Thomas...

Harold Baines gets a statue, nobody is aruing, but Konerko's White Sox numbers are similar and if he gets to equal at bats will be better than Harold's

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI AVG. OBP

6149 786 1773 320 44 221 981 .288 .346 HB

4886 727 1386 256 5 269 866 .284 .356 PK

Add an ALCS MVP and a WS title and GS, one of the biggest homers in White Sox history, if not the biggest, considering how highly JR thinks of him as a person, he's getting close to a lock if he's not a lock yet for having his number retired and getting himself a statue someday.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 04:36 PM)
Harold Baines gets a statue, nobody is aruing, but Konerko's White Sox numbers are similar and if he gets to equal at bats will be better than Harold's

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI AVG. OBP

6149 786 1773 320 44 221 981 .288 .346 HB

4886 727 1386 256 5 269 866 .284 .356 PK

You're comparing two different eras.

Add an ALCS MVP and a WS title and GS, one of the biggest homers in White Sox history, if not the biggest, considering how highly JR thinks of him as a person, he's getting close to a lock if he's not a lock yet for having his number retired and getting himself a statue someday.

Not to take away from what Paulie did in the '05 playoffs, but Crede and Contreras were the real MVPs. It's unfortunate that neither were recognized.

Harold played for about 20 years, has 384 career HRs, came relatively close to 3000 hits, and is a legitimate HOF candidate. And he did the majority of it prior to the steroids era. Paulie has put up some impressive numbers, but has only been playing for about half the time and is nowhere near HOF status.

I understand that being the "all-time Sox leader in..." carries a significant amount of weight, but I don't see how that makes him more deserving than (or as deserving as) a HOFer who "only" played for the Sox for half of a 20+ year career.

Paulie's a very good player, a great guy (from what I know), and does a fine job of representing the Sox. It'd be nice to see him recognized with a statue at some point, but I think that it's WAY too early to call him a "lock." I'd say that Mark (who is has been more dominant at his position) probably has a better chance. But, again, it's too early to call.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
You're comparing two different eras.

Not to take away from what Paulie did in the '05 playoffs, but Crede and Contreras were the real MVPs. It's unfortunate that neither were recognized.

Harold played for about 20 years, has 384 career HRs, came relatively close to 3000 hits, and is a legitimate HOF candidate. And he did the majority of it prior to the steroids era. Paulie has put up some impressive numbers, but has only been playing for about half the time and is nowhere near HOF status.

I understand that being the "all-time Sox leader in..." carries a significant amount of weight, but I don't see how that makes him more deserving than (or as deserving as) a HOFer who "only" played for the Sox for half of a 20+ year career.

Paulie's a very good player, a great guy (from what I know), and does a fine job of representing the Sox. It'd be nice to see him recognized with a statue at some point, but I think that it's WAY too early to call him a "lock." I'd say that Mark (who is has been more dominant at his position) probably has a better chance. But, again, it's too early to call.

Baines also had his number retired about 35 homers and 150 rbi short of those final totals. If Reinsdorf is still around when Paulie retires, he's a lock.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:00 AM)
Baines also had his number retired about 35 homers and 150 rbi short of those final totals.

Why are you comparing what Baines did in the '80s and early '90s to what Paulie has done in a more hitter-friendly ballpark with double-lacquered bats and a more tightly-wound ball? Harold hit .312 with 25 HRs and a 135 OPS+ under those conditions at age 40.