Dollars Overseas

Texsox

I was just watching a show on the History channel that quoted a figure that two thirds of US currency is in circulation overseas. Is all that foreigners working here and sending money back home? Anyone know? I know there is a huge demand for "greenbacks" and many are in private vaults and foreign banks, but how do they all get there?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
The dollar is the closest thing to a "universal currency" that exists in the world today. The utility of the dollar has a lot to do with it. You can spend them anywhere. The trade deficit is probably the biggest mover of dollars overseas.

Right, and as long as they stay overseas and are not presented back, that's good for us, right? IIRC I believe that was Milton Friedman's theory?

What I was wondering was how/why the actual physical bills get overseas. When one company pays another, it's typically a wire transfer, or in some cases paying their US subsidiary. Why would the physical notes be moved?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 09:13 AM)
Right, and as long as they stay overseas and are not presented back, that's good for us, right? IIRC I believe that was Milton Friedman's theory?

What I was wondering was how/why the actual physical bills get overseas. When one company pays another, it's typically a wire transfer, or in some cases paying their US subsidiary. Why would the physical notes be moved?

Sure, its like the gift card that never gets used. It sends up being a profit to the Treasury Dept. Physical notes have a demand, because of the stability of the dollar. People know that there will always be value in their dollars and that they will be able to use them anywhere they want to. That isn't the case with most of the worlds currencies, especially in countries who are in political strife, undergoing hyperinflation, or other unstabilities..

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:34 AM)
But how/why do the actual dollars themselves move to overseas banks? Do we really have plane loads of geenbacks travelling?

Did the show say that the actual, physical bills (or coins) were overseas? Or just a broad statement about the 'currency' in general, because while that could be possible for the reasons discussed above (plus 'dollarized' economies), 2/3 does seem high given the size of our economy.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
Did the show say that the actual, physical bills (or coins) were overseas? Or just a broad statement about the 'currency' in general, because while that could be possible for the reasons discussed above (plus 'dollarized' economies), 2/3 does seem high given the size of our economy.

The show was on counterfeiting bills and yes, they mentioned the actual physical dollars are over seas in circulation.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
The show was on counterfeiting bills and yes, they mentioned the actual physical dollars are over seas in circulation.

Given that our economy is mostly electronic with credit cards, debit cards, online, etc., maybe the reasons posted above are enough for the 2/3...but wowsa, that still seems like alot.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 04:59 PM)
Given that our economy is mostly electronic with credit cards, debit cards, online, etc., maybe the reasons posted above are enough for the 2/3...but wowsa, that still seems like alot.

I was surprised to learn that we are continuing to print more new bills then we retire.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 06:23 PM)
I was surprised to learn that we are continuing to print more new bills then we retire.

the stuff I've seen in 8+ years of banking...amazing. They should retire a whole lot more.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 07:51 PM)
It was India.

You used to be able to pay in Dollars to get into the Taj Mahal. They now only accept Rupees.

I was going to say India, but I was waiting for one of my more lefty comrades to chime in.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
But how/why do the actual dollars themselves move to overseas banks? Do we really have plane loads of geenbacks travelling?

I have two words for some of it, that's for sure...

Drug Money