Food Thread

Texsox

We have threads for music and movies, why not a general food thread? I know we all love to eat around here, based, in part on the posters I have met, (not queenp) :)

Btw, the Red Robin burger with the fried egg, amazing. Friends of mine talked me into it when I couldn't decide. That and endless french fries. Off my diet for the night.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:19 AM)
where? what is it?

Its a "Mongolian Grill". I think its a chain, I know there is one in Evanston. Basically, you have access to a buffet of meat, veggies, sauces and assorted other stir-fry stuff. You put whatever you want in a bowl, hand it to the grill guy, and they stir fry it for you. Then they bring it to your table.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:23 AM)
Its a "Mongolian Grill". I think its a chain, I know there is one in Evanston. Basically, you have access to a buffet of meat, veggies, sauces and assorted other stir-fry stuff. You put whatever you want in a bowl, hand it to the grill guy, and they stir fry it for you. Then they bring it to your table.

50x better than Mongolian Grill, more choices, more sauces.

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
Not all you can eat, where??

One was in Shaumburg, but they were in business 12 years ago. The other was in Harlingen, Texas. So I stopped going. Have they changed?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
One was in Shaumburg, but they were in business 12 years ago. The other was in Harlingen, Texas. So I stopped going. Have they changed?

This was not Flattop Grill, they have never been in these locations. Flattop grill is the name of a chain of restarurants.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
My favorite fast food chain is Chipotle.

While I do like Chipotle, I feel the workers are given cash for the least amount of meat they put on the burrito. Sometimes it is a joke. But I do like the food.

Also, if anyone has been to any of the Tacos El Norte restaurants in the NW burbs, it is worth it. Best Tacos Ever!!!

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
This was not Flattop Grill, they have never been in these locations. Flattop grill is the name of a chain of restarurants.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Those types of restaurants. Both I went to were one trip.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
While I do like Chipotle, I feel the workers are given cash for the least amount of meat they put on the burrito. Sometimes it is a joke. But I do like the food.

Also, if anyone has been to any of the Tacos El Norte restaurants in the NW burbs, it is worth it. Best Tacos Ever!!!

Do they have bistek tacos on corn tortillas with onions and cilantro? yummy, I call them South Texas sliders. Best post drinking food.

La Rosita grocery and taqueria in Crystal Lake is by far and away the most amazing taco in the world. It has to be the Crystal Lake store. I've been to others and they don't do them as well. Corn tortilla, cilantro, onion, steak. Amazing, and all of the parts are perfectly done.

Just can't get into Chipotle. I'm someone who was introduced to burrito's back in high school from my friends mom who was from mexico....and then from hitting the authentic burrito joints late night after being at the bars. I love a good Burrito and to me Chipotle just doesn't even taste like a burrito. It's crazy, cause I have tons of friends that love it...and I've tried it 3 times and every time I'm dissapointed.

There's a real good Mexican place in Woodridge on the NE corner of 75th and Woodward. It's called Los Arcos, but the sign above the place simply says Mexican Food. They also have a Mexican grocery store next door. This place is the real deal and IMO what a burrito should taste like. It's in the same parking lot as an Arby's. My only complaint is their salsa is a bit spicy for my taste, but for anyone who likes heat I'm sure it's the bomb.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
There's a real good Mexican place in Woodridge on the NE corner of 75th and Woodward. It's called Los Arcos, but the sign above the place simply says Mexican Food.

You have me craving a La Bamba burrito.

There was a place in Champaign that had a sign that was visible from quite a distance that said "EAT." The simplicity and directness of the sign always made me want to "eat" there. For months we talked about going there - it took some time because the place looked like a dump. Finally, we worked up the courage to go in, and to our great disappointment, the place had some class and was kind of costly. We decided to take our money elsewhere.

Probably went Stackin' at Homestretch.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
You have me craving a La Bamba burrito.

There was a place in Champaign that had a sign that was visible from quite a distance that said "EAT." The simplicity and directness of the sign always made me want to "eat" there. For months we talked about going there - it took some time because the place looked like a dump. Finally, we worked up the courage to go in, and to our great disappointment, the place had some class and was kind of costly. We decided to take our money elsewhere.

Probably went Stackin' at Homestretch.

If this was the original "burritos as big as your head" La Bamba on Green St., then it must have gone and got classy long after my departure. I ate there at least 2x a week for 2 years. Best chorizo burrito I ever had, especially after a night of knocking back a few pints of the blonde in the black skirt (that would be Guinness) at Murphy's.

I greatly miss all the great the neighborhood burrito joints in Chicago. Some of them were excellent. A very good taqueria finally opened up down here last year near my work, and I ate there at least weekly until I started this $%@*%! New Year's diet.