Food Thread

Texsox

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
If this was the original "burritos as big as your head" La Bamba on Green St., then it must have gone and got classy long after my departure. I ate there at least 2x a week for 2 years. Best chorizo burrito I ever had, especially after a night of knocking back a few pints of the blonde in the black skirt (that would be Guinness) at Murphy's.

I greatly miss all the great the neighborhood burrito joints in Chicago. Some of them were excellent. A very good taqueria finally opened up down here last year near my work, and I ate there at least weekly until I started this $%@*%! New Year's diet.

No. The "EAT" sign was outside truck-stop near the mall.

CC talking Mexican food had me thinking La Bamba - which was on Green St, but later relocated a block or so down to 6th St (?) just off Green. Incidently, the owners of La Bamba were from Chicago.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
No. The "EAT" sign was outside truck-stop near the mall.

CC talking Mexican food had me thinking La Bamba - which was on Green St, but later relocated a block or so down to 6th St (?) just off Green. Incidently, the owners of La Bamba were from Chicago.

I don't remember that sign. Out by Jumers??

The Chicago connection explains the quality of the la Bamba food.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)
If this was the original "burritos as big as your head" La Bamba on Green St., then it must have gone and got classy long after my departure. I ate there at least 2x a week for 2 years. Best chorizo burrito I ever had, especially after a night of knocking back a few pints of the blonde in the black skirt (that would be Guinness) at Murphy's.

La bamba is nowhere near classy, like in another dimension from classy.

Still tasty from time to time though :ph34r:

I'm partial to Ino's myself, I think there are 3 or 4 of them in Chicagoland. We go to the one in Oak Park at 7100 Roosevelt, according to a quick search there also appears to be one at 1856 W. 35th Street. They have some solid burritos, and if you get an Ino's special or a steak only burrito they are absolute huge, putting La Bamba and the "burrito as big as your head" to shame (though you have to tell them what you want in it, otherwise the Ino's special has American cheese on it, which honestly tastes kinda weird). They also have some pretty good barbacoa tacos, and I also order the bistec a la mexicana pretty often, which is pieces of steak cooked with onions, tomatoes, and jalapeno peppers. Quite tasty, though it usually has a pretty good kick.

I'll admit that I frequented La Bamba quite a bit down in Champaign, but after a while I moved on to El Desmadre (not even sure if it's there anymore, used to be between Za's (another one of my favorites) and Brother's on Green Street). La Bamba always struck me as gringo-style Mexican, a lot of lettuce and tomato. El Desmadre's burritos and a lot of the other stuff wasn't particularly impressive, but the Mexicano style tacos with onion and cilantro covered with the green salsa were pretty tasty, and they have/had a liquor license so I could have a Corona with it in my later years there. :D I also basically lived on calzone's from Giovannti's for a while, they were like $5.50 and even at my large size I could generally get two meals out of them.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 11:00 AM)
While I do like Chipotle, I feel the workers are given cash for the least amount of meat they put on the burrito. Sometimes it is a joke. But I do like the food.

Also, if anyone has been to any of the Tacos El Norte restaurants in the NW burbs, it is worth it. Best Tacos Ever!!!

my friends had a trick to get more meat in their burritos. They would say they only wanted one meat and after they put it in they said they changed their mind and wanted 2 kinds of meat, and since they wouldnt take the meat off thats already on there they got a lot of meat.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
I'll admit that I frequented La Bamba quite a bit down in Champaign, but after a while I moved on to El Desmadre (not even sure if it's there anymore, used to be between Za's (another one of my favorites) and Brother's on Green Street). . .

Is "Za's" what Zorba's Greek resteraunt changed into? I worked there through most of my time at Champaign. . . prolly ate gyros 5x a week.

Man I wich I could eat anything I wanted and not gain weight like when I was 20. :angry:

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
I'll admit that I frequented La Bamba quite a bit down in Champaign, but after a while I moved on to El Desmadre (not even sure if it's there anymore, used to be between Za's (another one of my favorites) and Brother's on Green Street). La Bamba always struck me as gringo-style Mexican, a lot of lettuce and tomato. El Desmadre's burritos and a lot of the other stuff wasn't particularly impressive, but the Mexicano style tacos with onion and cilantro covered with the green salsa were pretty tasty, and they have/had a liquor license so I could have a Corona with it in my later years there. :D I also basically lived on calzone's from Giovannti's for a while, they were like $5.50 and even at my large size I could generally get two meals out of them.

El desmadre isn't around and hasn't been in my 4 years here.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
Is "Za's" what Zorba's Greek resteraunt changed into? I worked there through most of my time at Champaign. . . prolly ate gyros 5x a week.

Man I wich I could eat anything I wanted and not gain weight like when I was 20. :angry:

no its not.

Za's is a cheap fast food italian place, zorba's is still around, pretty close to wright/green.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
OK, good. I know they changed the name to "Z's" like the year after I left and I'm glad they changed it back.

I didn't know you were an illini.......I only have a few more months left here :huh:

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 12:10 PM)
Anyone been to Tango Sur on Southport??

When I used to live by Southport Lanes, I ate at Tango Sur once. I remember liking it, but that was probably 6-7 years ago now. I think you had to bring your own alcohol, but that was kind of fun too. A friend of mine had lived in Brazil for awhile and seemed to think that the taste/style was pretty authentic.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
When I used to live by Southport Lanes, I ate at Tango Sur once. I remember liking it, but that was probably 6-7 years ago now. I think you had to bring your own alcohol, but that was kind of fun too. A friend of mine had lived in Brazil for awhile and seemed to think that the taste/style was pretty authentic.

the filet is only 20 bucks......cant beat it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 12:11 PM)

I greatly miss all the great the neighborhood burrito joints in Chicago. Some of them were excellent. A very good taqueria finally opened up down here last year near my work, and I ate there at least weekly until I started this $%@*%! New Year's diet.

I guess I'm in the minority when I hear La Bamba and think "meh"

Now Geovantis, that's some ace level food for ya. Calzone or chicken fingers, can't go wrong either way.

SnB, mail me some of that s*** post haste

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 02:01 PM)
La bamba is nowhere near classy, like in another dimension from classy.

Still tasty from time to time though :ph34r:

I think some La Bamba's are better than others...the one in Lincoln Park is outstanding...the one down at SIU was not especially great. I tend to think the key is whether they have the white cheese (mmm) or the yellow cheese.

I was not allowed into the La Bamba my last year at SIU because my roommate would always ask for mustard on his burrito (which of course they didn't have) to piss them off. Finally, they banned us both from coming.

Speaking of SIU though, boy, do I miss Quattros pizza and Wise Guys subs. I might have to make a trip to the alma mater just for those two late-night delicacies...

And one more thing...my roommate I mentioned previously was of hispanic heritage. We would come home from the bars and he would scramble eggs and cook up some chorizo and we would have breakfast burritos at 4 am....unbelievable...I think that was the best part of living with that guy...:)

Oh, and one more thing. Anyone ever been to "The Diner" on Irving Park Road on the Northside for "the slinger"?

You start with toast, followed by two all-beef hamburger patties, topped with two fried eggs, a couple of hefty helpings of chili, followed by plenty of hash browns....Wow, that is a huge late night delicacy....and if you finish it, you even get a certificate saying you finished the Slinger!

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)
Oh, and one more thing. Anyone ever been to "The Diner" on Irving Park Road on the Northside for "the slinger"?

You start with toast, followed by two all-beef hamburger patties, topped with two fried eggs, a couple of hefty helpings of chili, followed by plenty of hash browns....Wow, that is a huge late night delicacy....and if you finish it, you even get a certificate saying you finished the Slinger!

Along with a bucket and directions to the bathroom.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)
I think some La Bamba's are better than others...the one in Lincoln Park is outstanding...the one down at SIU was not especially great. I tend to think the key is whether they have the white cheese (mmm) or the yellow cheese.

I was not allowed into the La Bamba my last year at SIU because my roommate would always ask for mustard on his burrito (which of course they didn't have) to piss them off. Finally, they banned us both from coming.

Speaking of SIU though, boy, do I miss Quattros pizza and Wise Guys subs. I might have to make a trip to the alma mater just for those two late-night delicacies...

And one more thing...my roommate I mentioned previously was of hispanic heritage. We would come home from the bars and he would scramble eggs and cook up some chorizo and we would have breakfast burritos at 4 am....unbelievable...I think that was the best part of living with that guy...:)

I really liked the La Bambas at SIU. I like it a lot more than the one at U of I and downtown. That was delicious stuff.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)
El desmadre isn't around and hasn't been in my 4 years here.

Well, it was still there in my last year (2005), but I didn't see it when I was down there for the NU/Illinois game this fall. I know that for a fact because I didn't turn 21 until April 2004, and I KNOW I enjoyed the tacos/Corona combo on several occasions. :P

All this talk about my old favorites in Champaign (Za's, Geovanti's, El Desmadre) is really making me hungry...

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 08:41 PM)

That is a meal created by stoned people for other stoned people I think.