Food Thread

Texsox

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 07:01 PM)
I guess I'm in the minority when I hear La Bamba and think "meh"

Now Geovantis, that's some ace level food for ya. Calzone or chicken fingers, can't go wrong either way.

SnB, mail me some of that s*** post haste

geovanti's

-best chicken fingers you'll ever have

-awesome, huge calzones

and location of the drunkest Snb ever got, with the night concluding with Snb and Krush stealing their sox promo signs and running to our dorm/apartment.

:headbang

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 09:35 PM)
geovanti's

-awesome, huge calzones

and location of the drunkest Snb ever got, with the night concluding with Snb and Krush stealing their sox promo signs and running to our dorm/apartment.

If you remembered it, you were not that bad!!

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 10:33 PM)
Didn't Geovanti's have 75 cent drafts every night? I don't know why, but despite a deal like that we never went there to drink.

I believe they still do, there is a core following of it, but most of the campus doesn't catch on, mostly because its a really s***ty bar.

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 09:35 PM)
geovanti's

-awesome, huge calzones

I think people here will be proud of the fact that the reason this happened was that the more we drank that night, the better our odds were of winning 2006 opening day tickets. Once I found that out, I made SnB drink until near death. And somehow some stupid broad still won. And I'd bet my life she either didn't go or didn't stay the whole game. Stupid b****.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 4, 2008 -> 07:37 PM)
Speaking of SIU though, boy, do I miss Quattros pizza and Wise Guys subs. I might have to make a trip to the alma mater just for those two late-night delicacies...

Quatros is absolutely delicious and for some reason I've only had it twice my whole time down here.

Lawrence's Fisheries on Canal and Cermak is always a good choice for shrimp.And they are priced cheap compared to other places that have just crazy prices for a lb. of shrimp.They are always open and there are always customers in there,I have been going there for 15 years.

QUOTE(shipps @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 09:42 AM)
Lawrence's Fisheries on Canal and Cermak is always a good choice for shrimp.And they are priced cheap compared to other places that have just crazy prices for a lb. of shrimp.They are always open and there are always customers in there,I have been going there for 15 years.

:headbang :headbang

Love me some Lawrence's!!

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 08:19 AM)
What blocks is CU on? I'll get you pointed in the right direction :)

Oh what the heck, I am hungry, so here we go

My personal favorite is Mike's Chicken on Clark St just south of the CBOT. Their chicken fingers, fry basket and sauce is to die for, and it is relatively cheap for a downtown lunch.

Two doors down from their is a place called Coco's which specializes in soul food. My god is the place incredible. I recommend calling in early and getting the specials and trying those.

Chicken Planet is on Jackson between Plymouth Ct and State St and you can order grilled chicken right off of the grill. Great food, pretty cheap as well.

My favorite burgers are between the Billy Goat or Gold Coast depending on what mood I am in. Gold Coast does an incredible bacon double cheeseburger, with melted liquid cheddar cheese instead of sliced. It is messy, but sooooo good. Another great thing about Gold Coast is that they serve up great polishes and brats. Billy Goat is a great cheeseburger as well. They do specials on Tuesday for single CBs, Thursday for doubles, and Friday for triples. Another great Billy Goat treat is their ribeye steak sandwich special on Monday.

Well that is a good start anyway. Let me know if you want to hear more, or if you are interested in breakfast.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 01:41 AM)
Oh, and one more thing. Anyone ever been to "The Diner" on Irving Park Road on the Northside for "the slinger"?

You start with toast, followed by two all-beef hamburger patties, topped with two fried eggs, a couple of hefty helpings of chili, followed by plenty of hash browns....Wow, that is a huge late night delicacy....and if you finish it, you even get a certificate saying you finished the Slinger!

love the diner grill. love the slinger.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 11:31 AM)
Good stuff. Usually, I am around Congress/Michigan for class, but I need to get back to Ogilve every day, so I usually cut back over to Madison on State, then take Madison back to Canal. Usually I have a bunch of time to kill, and have just ended up eating in the train station. I need some better food.

My fav place at Ogilve is the chinese place in the far back corner, past Great Steak and Potato and Popeyes... They do a great terriaki chicken and rice. Another great thing to get there is the little place on the same side, but further up that does fresh turkey subs. It is like thanksgiving day turkey, and not the premade lunchmeat crap. I can't remember the name of the place off of the top of my head right now, but is to the east of the popeyes, and to the west of the newsstand over there.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Feb 5, 2008 -> 10:37 AM)
They have one of those in basically every college town. That's some of the best drunk food ever.

oh god, i can't handle pokey stix. They'll usually make me feel worse the next day than the alcohol will.