Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 12:14 AM)
If you aren't aware of the entire Jamar Smith/Brian Carlwell saga, the myth that Weber is a great in game coach, the bizarre showing up of World Wide Wes at the UC recently on the coaching staff's tab, the general ignorance he showed toward the incredible amount of problems off the court within the program the last few years, and his seeming inability to blame anybody but his young players.........that's your problem.

Of course I was aware of that. Smith didn't get what he probably should have gotten, but he wasn't exactly easy on him. You act like Jamar just came back on the team, played the next game and everything was normal.

Jerrance Howard is good friends with World Wide Wes, and quite honestly I don't have a problem with the guy. You need people like him, shady or not, to land good players.

Incredible amount of problems is a huge overstatement. Either that, or I'm missing A LOT.

I think he's a good in game coach, but that's a matter of opinion...and I haven't really seen that many of his quotes, but I don't really care who he blames. A lot of coaches do that. Like the whole Izzo and Floyd thing taking away the kids locker rooms after a bad loss but not blaming themselves. I mean come on. That's how all coaches are.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 01:34 AM)
Smith would be playing now if the coaching staff had their way. It's funny that Kelvin Samson is Satan for making phone calls, but keeping a convicted felon on the team to recruit Richardson is just fine. Also, Weber's mock funeral for Self was just totally classless, but obviously pales in comparison. As for refusing to accept responsibility -- his quote after the AZ game that the way for UI to improve is to get better players was pretty classless as well. In my opinion, the way the UI basketball program has and is being run is indefensible.

I don't know anything about that, but reading quotes on this board from people closer to the program than me, I certainly get the impression there's a lot going on that we don't know about. I'm sure that's true of almost all major college athletic programs to some extent.

As for Weber's coaching ability, I'm not qualified to assess it. He sure should have zoned up Maryland though.

You really think he kept Jamar on the team just to recruit Richardson? That's pointless. Webster was the one who did all of the recruiting, and if he was ever going to waver it was going to be when Webster left.

I understand saying they need to get better players is somewhat classless, however don't you think that's also an indictment on himself too? That's the truth.

There's a lot going on in every athletic department, especially in the major sports. I just don't buy the fact that s*** is hitting the fan over there.

Weber is a good coach. Not great, but when he has talented players he knows how to use them. He knows how to adjust.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 01:40 AM)
You really think he kept Jamar on the team just to recruit Richardson? That's pointless. Webster was the one who did all of the recruiting, and if he was ever going to waver it was going to be when Webster left.

I understand saying they need to get better players is somewhat classless, however don't you think that's also an indictment on himself too? That's the truth.

There's a lot going on in every athletic department, especially in the major sports. I just don't buy the fact that s*** is hitting the fan over there.

Weber is a good coach. Not great, but when he has talented players he knows how to use them. He knows how to adjust.

A few minutes before you posted this I deleted the post you're quoting. It's late, I'm tired and I decided -- too late -- that I don't know enough facts to competently assess the program. Although they really should have zoned Maryland.

Here's my attempt at a sober(ish) rational post: I don't like the way Weber handles criticism. It seems like he doesn't do it well, from the mock funeral to saying his players aren't good. The Jamar Smith incident was bad. Really, it goes beyond UI -- American society treats drunk driving way too lightly. And as for keeping Jamar to recruit Richardson -- I honestly don't know if that was his motivation or not. Boers & Bernstein on WSCR made that claim. Whether they know more than me or you, I have no idea.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
So approximately how much truth is in this?

http://www.cobrabrigade.com/2007/12/sampson_gone.php

Well, we have no idea yet. Nothing on the Google about it. This is the most recent piece with Sampson's name in it.

The No. 13 Hoosiers will play Western Carolina at 8 p.m. Saturday at Assembly Hall. Gordon, who missed last Saturday’s Kentucky game with a back injury, will be in the starting lineup, according to coach Kelvin Sampson.

Bassett will not play as he continues to serve a suspension. The sophomore point guard also sat out the Kentucky game for violating unspecified teams rules.

Ratliff, a senior, has been academically ineligible for the fall. Students are taking finals this week and paperwork could hold up a potential return Saturday.

“It depends on whether he gets his classes in,” Sampson said during a teleconference Thursday. “The academic part of it, through the NCAA, we have to wait on that.”

Sampson said Bassett’s suspension was “game to game.”

“He has some work to do,” Sampson said. “He won’t play Saturday, we’ll have to wait and see about the following Saturday (against Coppin State).”

Sampson “fully” expects Gordon to play. The freshman, who is averaging 24.3 points a game, suffered the back injury in the first half of the Dec. 3 game against Tennessee State when he fell on his way to the basket.

Another freshman, Eli Holman, suffered a wrist injury during Wednesday’s practice. Sampson isn’t sure how long Holman will be out and has not discussed a medical redshirt.

“He went to get it X-rayed, and it was not broken. There may be some ligament damage in there,” Sampson said.

“We really haven’t talked about (a medical redshirt) yet; we have to wait and see how serious it is.”

Sampson there is saying it's academic reasons. Of course, I'm sure he also said "phone calls, what phone calls" too.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Dec 13, 2007 -> 12:13 PM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3152461

Self sure is teaching Rush a tough life lesson. I'm shocked the date is 5 days after the national championship. I'm not sure what's funnier, Self pushing the date to after the season, or Self thinking he will be in the national title :-P.

he had a speeding ticket or moving violation.

Self has kicked off numerous thugs in his few years at Kansas. Giddens and Giles were both practically starters...

To be fair to Bruce, Jamar was not kept for the sake of D.J. Richardson. The one place Illinois can get whoever they want from, even with Bruce as coach, is Peoria, and anybody who said Jamar is still here in order to get D.J. is lying or being lied to by their source. If Jamar is gone tomorrow, D.J. wouldn't care since he's coming here with at least Paul and Bertrand (plus Richmond the next year) to help out, and likely quite a bit more such as Legion since Jerrance Howard is trying to save the program with his recruiting skills.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Valpo is quietly having a very good season. They're 9-1 and will improve to 10-1 tonight if they defeat Chicago State. In their first ever Horizon Leauge game, they knocked off the defending champs, Wright State, on the road. With games against Wisconsin and UNC left this year, we'll see if they are for real by competing with these powerhouses on the road.

I signed up to go with the Barnyard (our student section) on the trip to Michigan at the end of January, which should be an absolute blast. It's $30 for the ticket, hotel, bus, tour of athletic facilities, and a road-trip t-shirt. Talk about a great deal, and it should be a bunch of fun (got two other people I know coming with me, one of whom is 21 years of age :)).

I'll also be at our road game versus Penn State, since I'll still be in Jersey for x-mas break and its only a four hour drive. Standing in the student section with my brother (PSU grad student) and the rest of the section being PSU fans should be an interesting experience. I hope I live :P

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 12:54 PM)
Going to STL tonight for the game. There is supposed to be 6-8 inches of snow on the ground by the time the game is over, so that should be a whole lot of fun.

Stop being a b*tch and suck it up.

QUOTE(gbuk @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 03:35 PM)
Injuries and Tubby leaving them with the players they have, and Vaden scoring 28 in the second half. So yes, partially.

blah blah blah, you don't see Tubby blaming Dan Monson and Jim Molinari for this years Gopher team. And sure, you'll say something about how our schedule is much easier than Kentucky's, but we had a similar schedule last year and we were abysmal.

QUOTE(Felix @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
blah blah blah, you don't see Tubby blaming Dan Monson and Jim Molinari for this years Gopher team. And sure, you'll say something about how our schedule is much easier than Kentucky's, but we had a similar schedule last year and we were abysmal.

Tubby is a good coach, I have no doubt about that.

I haven't said anything about Minnesota and I wasn't planning on it, but if you haven't watched Kentucky this year without Jasper and Meeks, he left them with nothing. It's pathetic.

Tubby brought in some horrible players for Kentucky and that will have an impact, I don't care what anyone says about me just blaming everything on Tubby, but if you pretend that they suck for other reasons besides talent I don't know what to tell you.