Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
it's also clear that Matt Painter is one of the fastest rising coaches in the nation (and certainly the best coach in the league with SIU ties) and that Purdue might win the league this year.

Purdue got very lucky that Weber went UI...he was in line for the Purdue job when Keady retired otherwise. They dodged a bullet there.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 10:32 PM)
Purdue has just had a really surprising year in my eyes. They lost Landry and Teague and I thought the year would be mediocre at best. Just goes to show what one good year of recruiting can do for a squad. A bunch of underclassmen are carrying this team and should only get better.

Ehhhh I am not surprised they are NCAA Tourney good, but I am suprised they are this good this fast. Losing Landry and Teague hurt, but they replaced talent with talent, and you can't overstate just how big a shot in the arm it is for a program to add several really good players like Purdue did. The best part for them though is that those 4 freshman, while very good, are not leave early for the NBA good and thus they will be around for 3 or 4 years to terrorize the league.

And yeah, to say Purdue got lucky with Weber going to Illinois, leaving them Painter is a HUGE understatement. They'd be stuck in mediocrity to say the least had they not gotten fortunate there. As amazing as it is what Weber has done to Illinois' program on and off the floor, he could have done it even quicker in West Lafayette with what was left when Keady retired from coaching.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 10:28 PM)
Going into this year, I thought Purdue would get better as the season went on, make the tourney as an 8 or 9 seed, and be the favorites to win the league next year. While the last part is true (70 of the 72 points they scored tonight will be back on the roster next year), it's also clear that Matt Painter is one of the fastest rising coaches in the nation (and certainly the best coach in the league with SIU ties) and that Purdue might win the league this year. If they can defend their home turf Tuesday in a tough game against Michigan State, they will win out (sorry Ohio State, your not that good) with the exception of perhaps their trip to Indiana, and at least win a share of the Big 10. It's amazing the progress they have made.

Oh, and Jimbo: Your still the best team I've seen this year, and yes you beat a tourney bound Baylor team by 10 tonight, but 90 points? 57 in a half? Letting them make 12 three pointers? Gonna have to work on that defense buddy, or else you'll lose in the Elite 8 again.

That game was crazy, it was like a street ball game. KU scored 100 points with zero 3's!!!!

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
Going into this year, I thought Purdue would get better as the season went on, make the tourney as an 8 or 9 seed, and be the favorites to win the league next year. While the last part is true (70 of the 72 points they scored tonight will be back on the roster next year), it's also clear that Matt Painter is one of the fastest rising coaches in the nation (and certainly the best coach in the league with SIU ties) and that Purdue might win the league this year. If they can defend their home turf Tuesday in a tough game against Michigan State, they will win out (sorry Ohio State, your not that good) with the exception of perhaps their trip to Indiana, and at least win a share of the Big 10. It's amazing the progress they have made.

Oh, and Jimbo: Your still the best team I've seen this year, and yes you beat a tourney bound Baylor team by 10 tonight, but 90 points? 57 in a half? Letting them make 12 three pointers? Gonna have to work on that defense buddy, or else you'll lose in the Elite 8 again.

UCLA says hi. They are the team to beat in the NCAA and they are straight up built for the tourney.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 9, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
Someone got a picture of Rick Pitino's all-white suit tonight?

He changed it at halftime, kind of funny (odd?)...

http://cmsimg.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc...=2&MaxH=400

Supposedly he changed it because he spilled a coke on himself at halftime. Not sure if I'm buying that.

So... Illinois is coming to town on Tuesday. Should be an enjoyable game, hopefully we can make it 3 in a row. If we want any chance at the tournament, we'll have to win this and the rest of these types of games.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
The drop-off after Tenn, Memphis, Duke, UNC, UCLA, and Kansas is huge. Does anyone really believe a team outside of these 6 has a chance at the NT this year?

Yes, it isn't easy to win 6 tourney games. You never know what will happen. Just ask George Mason. Probable, no, possible, yes.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
Yes, it isn't easy to win 6 tourney games. You never know what will happen. Just ask George Mason. Probable, no, possible, yes.

Nah, pretty much every year one of the top teams during the regular seasons ends up winning the NT(the exception may be 'Cuse 5 years ago, altough they were still a top 10 team). It's usually pretty easy to pick the group of teams who have a chance at it around this time of year. Since the six teams I listed are all that much better than everyone else, I'm willing to bet the tourny winner is among them.

Since I'm one of the few Big East followers here, I'll put in my .02 for Louisville. Louisville is pretty deep and, now that they're healthy, are either the best or second best team in the BE. They can hit threes, play inside (four or five deep in the frontcourt) and play some pretty wild defense. I don't think Georgetown is a National Title contender, but they're in that next group that inches up to the Kansas', Memphis' and UNC's of the NCAA. So long as they're a two seed, it's tough for me to see them getting knocked out before the Elite 8. And I'll also throw UConn in the mix as well -- Thabeet is a f***ing monster and Adrien is one of the five best players in the BE (my opinion). Again -- probably not a National Title contender, but not a team I'd like to see in the tourney.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 11:56 AM)
The drop-off after Tenn, Memphis, Duke, UNC, UCLA, and Kansas is huge. Does anyone really believe a team outside of these 6 has a chance at the NT this year?

Well UCLA is definitely the team to beat imo and Memphis after that. But if I'm picking a team besides the ones you mentioned, I'd say Stanford has a shot.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
iu_osu0499.jpg

DJ White is scary good.

IU will need him to be big for the next three, as we have a three-game home stint beginning Wednesday against Wiscy, MSU, and Purdue.

at this point, white is hands-down league player of the year. he has really come into his own.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
I didn't get to see it. That is why I wanted you to send me scores. :angry:

Haha, that was great, man. But anyways, I'm off to BWW to actually go watch the game now(I hate ESPNU). Hopefully we don't suck but we will cause we're on the road. Expect a L.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 11, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
BJ Mullens cant get here soon enough.

if koufos stays, ohio state will be formidable next year. mullens is more of a true five, and if you put koufos at the four you have a lot of potential mismatches for other teams.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 10, 2008 -> 06:37 PM)
Over Eric Gordon? Mmm, not sure about that.

Definitely. Besides hype, all Gordon really has going for him has been straight scoring, but he really hasn't been playing well and has had a lot of turnovers. D.J., on the other hand, is still second in the conference in scoring and first in rebounding (by a large margin) and has led this team all season, not Gordon.