Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (sircaffey @ Jun 11, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
Now no returning scholarship players. Has this ever happened in the history of college basketball? It'll be interesting to see 4 freshman and Kyle Taber, a senior walk-on, start next season.

FWIW, Taber is on scholarship (was last year, as well). However, to reaffirm what you said, the only players that entered IU with scholarships on the team, will be freshmen.

Yay.

Sun-Times Story

Former DePaul star Watkins dies

June 10, 2008

Recommend

BY TONI GINNETTI tginnetti@suntimes.com

Mark Aguirre was the team star and Jim Mitchem, Gary Garland and Clyde Bradshaw provided the team’s steady strength. But Curtis Watkins was the secret weapon on offense and defense for DePaul’s 1979 Final Four team.

And when he hurt his knee before Ray Meyer’s team was to take on Indiana State and Larry Bird in their Final Four meeting, the DePaul coaching staff knew how much tougher it would be to pull off an upset.

``Bird might have gone off on us anyway, but it really, really hurt not to have Curtis to defend him,’’ said Joey Meyer, then the top assistant on Ray Meyer’s staff. ``He was the kind of kid coaches love -- so quiet but so talented. We always said you could always win if you had kids like Curtis. You wished you could clone him.’’

Watkins, 51, and a Harvey native, died late Monday. Circumstances were not immediately known, but those who knew him were grieving Tuesday at the news.

``He was much too young,’’ said Meyer, who began recruiting Watkins out of Thornton High School and got his father -- reluctant in those days to make many home visits -- to close the deal. ``Coach didn’t like making many home visits, but this was a quick one.

``Curtis was so quiet and he’d hardly say anything, but he was a coach’s dream. He would put up numbers in a game and you would be amazed. And you never worried about his man going off because he was such a good defender. A quiet assassin I guess is what opponents would call him.’’

Watkins scored 24 points in DePaul’s March 17, 1979 victory over UCLA in Provo, Utah, sending the Blue Demons and Meyer to the Final Four. He also played on the 1978 squad that reached the Elite Eight.

He finished his career among the school’s all-time scorers and rebounders, and he still ranks 10th all-time in scoring (1,463 points) and ninth all-time in rebounding (810). He is one of only seven players to have scored at least 1,000 points and 800 rebounds. He was an honorable mention All-American in 1979 and was a fourth-round NBA draft pick in 1979 of Kansas City. Watkins was inducted into the DePaul athletic hall of fame several years ago.

``Pound for pound, he was the best player I ever played with,’’ said Randy Ramsey, who was a teammate at both DePaul and at Thornton.

``We played together on the outside courts in Harvey in grade school and then we played together for two years in high school and three years at DePaul. You never knew if he was having a bad day or a good day, he was so quiet. But he was totally different on the court.

``He was sincere and loyal and kind. He was a wonderful friend and we’re really going to miss him,’’ Ramsey said.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jun 16, 2008 -> 03:36 AM)
Apparently Lawson, Ellington, and Green are returning to UNC according to sources tonight. But I'm still not holding my breath, tomorrow will be very interesting.

I've heard very different about Lawson. Also, Green and Ellington pulled out.

- Weber, on the Big Ten race: “The league should be wide open and we can be right in the middle of it. I do know one thing, though. I think Indiana will suck. Don’t put that on the Internet.”

Though this may be the case next year for the revamped Hoosiers, I hope we shove it down your whiny throat Bruce. Still can't get over it can you.

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 05:50 PM)
- Weber, on the Big Ten race: "The league should be wide open and we can be right in the middle of it. I do know one thing, though. I think Indiana will suck. Don't put that on the Internet."

Though this may be the case next year for the revamped Hoosiers, I hope we shove it down your whiny throat Bruce. Still can't get over it can you.

Technically, it was in a speech on how he wanted Indiana to be good because that is best for the conference...

QUOTE (He_Gawn @ Jun 20, 2008 -> 11:50 AM)
- Weber, on the Big Ten race: “The league should be wide open and we can be right in the middle of it. I do know one thing, though. I think Indiana will suck. Don’t put that on the Internet.”

Yeah, just ignore the context of him saying this at an event for Illinois fans and that he was clearly joking.

Well, Indiana IS going to suck, and has nobody to blame but themselves for it. They'll be awfully good in a couple years though, unless the infractions committee gives them a real punishment, but that would never happen to basketball royalty like IU, so that's not a real concern for them.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 07:32 PM)
Brandon Jennings considered the top recruit by Arizona failed all of his standardized tests....

So he'll be going to Europe to play ball for a year.

How can anyone possibly be that ignorant/lazy?

I'm not going to say stupid, because if he's smart enough to play sports, then he should be smart enough to study or get help studying.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jun 28, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
How can anyone possibly be that ignorant/lazy?

I'm not going to say stupid, because if he's smart enough to play sports, then he should be smart enough to study or get help studying.

Sad that some kids are that ignorant. But he has it made. He goes overseas for a year and sees the world and gets a few million to play for a year before being drafted into the NBA.

He just has to hope his game doesn't get exposed playing against professionals.