Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my obligatory NIU post for the thread, I will just say that everybody I talk to in the athletic department here LOVES Ricardo Patton. He has been all over the place visiting places just around DeKalb and he's already got a great staff assembled that is doing a great job recruiting and the players (other than Cody Yelder, our best player, ugh) love his up and down, running style of play. If he continues his recruiting hot start long term, I like our chances to get good at basketball again. Problem is, we have a game at SIU this year. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: And I won't comment on Illinois, God knows I still love 'em but I feel so bad about the basketball program, it's like the football and basketball programs switched places.

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 08:20 AM)
I love Falker, but if he was 2 or 3 inches taller, Yikes!

Gonzaga! OMG!!!1! FTW!

It'd be nice if he were a little taller but still, he's quick and athletic enough to hang with the bigger guys in the country. Hopefully this season he'll catch a few more passes and learn how to get around and pass out of a double team, then he'll be unstoppable.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 09:15 AM)
BTW, we are soooooo going undefeated against the MVC this year.

Oh heads, you never learn.

//obligatory school-you-attend promoting post

If you're reading this thread, Marquette is probably better than your team.

I kid, I kid -- but this is the year my opinion of Crean's in-game abilities will really be formed. I'd say he was average last season, a pretty good defensive coach but a lot to be desired at the offensive end. If Crean doesn't know how to use this deep team, I'll be pretty pissed.

We're also the number one seed of the Maui Invitational, a tourney that includes OK State, Duke and U of I. I haven't checked the brackets but I hope MU gets a shot at U of I.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 10:59 AM)
I'm excited for the season and seeing how Soloman Alabi and Julian Vaughn play. However, this will be another year where FSU doesn't make the Big Dance.

Hey, try being an NU fan, that's par for the course. :P

Still, I am really excited for the season, I love college basketball. I just hope some of NU's young guys show some development.

When's the first good game anyways? Doesn't UNC play Louisville on like Nov 5th?

Edit- nvm, looks like a potential tournament game. I'm far too lazy too look all those up. :P

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
When's the last time you were even the best in the state you reside?

(I kid, I kid)

Not sure how good Wisconsin will be this year, a lot of question marks, but more talent than we have had in the past. Should be a good year, hopefully finish in the top 25.

Boo. MU is gonna roll the Badgers and Madison this year, sort of like last yea-.... ahh s***.

You gonna be at that game? I'm making some efforts at getting tickets -- do you, by chance, know how much an upper deck seat is going to cost me?

I probably wont get up for that game, hopefully go to a different one. I have no clue on the cost, when I was at Madison it was the Dick Bennet days and while we went to a Final Four in 1999, Basketball was not as popular as it is now. Especially the Marquette game because people in Wisconsin think thats a big rivalry. (I really could care less youre not in our conference.)

The tickets are probably going to be hard to come by, unless its some sort of bad scheduling (early in the morning and a lot of students wont show)

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
Especially the Marquette game because people in Wisconsin think thats a big rivalry. (I really could care less youre not in our conference.)

Yeah, I think you have to be from Wisconsin to really 'be in' the rivalrly. I hate DePaul and Notre Dame exponentially more than I hate Wisconsin. Hell, I like Bo Ryan as a coach, so it's tough for me to hate them. Maybe things will change a bit if I go to the game and am outnumbered by the red, but I still don't think it will reach the levels of my hate for the Irish and B-Demons.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 10, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
ISU plays UNI at home, Drake and Bradley on the road, and possibly Missouri State in Las Vegas.

I'm going to be highly disappointed if we don't win those games. Need to start seeing a little improvement this year.

Im thinking that if any of these teams take down ISU(the other, other ISU), its gonna be Bradley. They play tough at their place, its gonna be a hard one to win