Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)
I remember when I sat there at Huskie Stadium back to back years as a HS kid, watching NIU beat a bowl bound Wake Forest in 2002 and then Maryland in 2003 (who won 9 in a row after losing at FSU the next week) at Huskie Stadium and thinking the same thing that article says about Indiana playing at SIU, "what idiot scheduled THIS game?"

NIU of course also hosted and beat Iowa State in 2003, but such idiocy is no surprise out of the Cyclones (sorry Heads). :)

God that was a horrible football team.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 04:41 PM)
God that was a horrible football team.

I saw every NIU game that year, and that was the worst they played, by far, in any of the 10 victories. And that includes some MAC wins which were much closer games than the ISU one. So in others words, I'd have to agree with you.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 11, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
Yep -- key being in the NCAA tournament. It's really too bad DePaul never gets the chance to go these days.

That's okay, though -- January 26th will get here soon enough.

Pride in your team's underachievements must be the marquette gold way...

Expectations are low for us as Mac and Dar develop so hopefully we can surprise some people.

Are you going to the game? Not much else to do in milwaukee anyways. And I would have preferred mirror games with our rivals.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 12, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
Expectations are low for us as Mac and Dar develop so hopefully we can surprise some people.

Yes -- Wainright (sp?) is pulling some top-notch recruiting classes, isn't he? That worries me -- seemingly everybody in the BE recruits better than Crean (unless he lands Shumpert -- then I may change my mind a bit). From a basketball perspective it's a shame that Chandler left -- he's the exact type of player who Marquette has no answer for, unless Mbakwe turns out to be that good on the defensive end.

Are you going to the game? Not much else to do in milwaukee anyways.

Yeah, I'll be there. And yes, Milwaukee is 'teh suck' -- there are some good concert venues but other than that... I gots to turn 21 before I can have the slightest bit of fun.

And I would have preferred mirror games with our rivals.

Ditto. Does DePaul get ND twice? I know we do. I would've liked both DePaul and ND twice -- instead they gave us a home-and-home with Seton Hall. Bleh.

We had Jeremy Schaap at ours, we had replays of Coach Knight choke slamming him over and over again. Then we all lined up and got to take turns getting cursed at. To top it off we had special guest Isiah Thomas for the orphans. All the cheerleaders lined up and got to be sexually harassed by him.

You guys are so jealous.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 05:50 PM)
How in the world do you put Tennessee above Memphis? Honestly. Especially with Duke Crews probably out for a long time, if not off the team completely.

And I can't vouch for Marquette being the 8th (or was it 9th?) best team in the nation. They're in that 10-15 range.

QUOTE(thedoctor @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 05:09 PM)
more sanctions for sampson: indiana scout site

shocking.

I feel bad fort he IU fans here, but I can't help but laugh. The Hoosiers knew what they were doing in hiring this guy, and there was a reason their own fan base hated the signing initially.

The NCAA investigation is only going to get worse, with postseason bans very possible.

IU is reaping what they sew in that case. As long as Sampson is there, those problems will remain. All that stuff that happened to him at OU was not an accident. But I do feel bad for a lot of the IU fans here, they hated that hiring all along because they knew stuff like this would happen.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

I absolutely hate this. This is the first time that a IU basketball coach has been sanctioned for his actions while head coach at IU. This is probably minor in terms of violations, but a violation is a violation.

IU's never had its name tied to stuff like this, and for Sampson to put more dirt to his name after honing up to the past mistakes at OU and saying that wasn't going to happen in Bloomington is pathetic.