Official 2007-08 College Basketball Thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
I absolutely hate this. This is the first time that a IU basketball coach has been sanctioned for his actions while head coach at IU. This is probably minor in terms of violations, but a violation is a violation.

I don't mean to put it on you, but this is anything but minor. It's as bad as you can get, committing the same violations are already on probation for.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
How in the world do you put Tennessee above Memphis? Honestly. Especially with Duke Crews probably out for a long time, if not off the team completely.

I'll tell you how. UT beat Memphis last year by 20, and Tennessee returns every player except Dane Bradshaw, along with adding Tyler Smith and J.P. Prince. That's a sophomore who averaged 15/7 last year for Iowa, and a former 5-star guard. As for Duke Crews, I do think he'll be back for the season.

Yes Tennessee had a 18 point home victory over Memphis early in the year. Memphis was a young team and peaked towards the end of the year. Memphis ended the season 33-4 in the Elite 8 for the 2nd straight year.

Tennessee ended up 24-11 and will be without Duke Crews most likely. Tyler Smith is a nice addition, but JP Prince hasn't done anything in his first two seasons to warrant his H.S. ranking.

Memphis returns everyone from a 33 win, elite 8 appearance, and adds one of the top 4 recruiting classes in the nation including top 5 Derrick Rose.

Memphis returns a core that won 9 more games than Tennessee's core, Memphis' recruiting class is much better than Tennessee's, but Tyler Smith and JP Prince are nice additions. Basically it's a wash. You HAVE to go with the team that went further in the tourney and won 9 more games when everything else is equal.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 04:30 PM)
Yes Tennessee had a 18 point home victory over Memphis early in the year. Memphis was a young team and peaked towards the end of the year. Memphis ended the season 33-4 in the Elite 8 for the 2nd straight year.

Tennessee ended up 24-11 and will be without Duke Crews most likely. Tyler Smith is a nice addition, but JP Prince hasn't done anything in his first two seasons to warrant his H.S. ranking.

Memphis returns everyone from a 33 win, elite 8 appearance, and adds one of the top 4 recruiting classes in the nation including top 5 Derrick Rose.

Memphis returns a core that won 9 more games than Tennessee's core, Memphis' recruiting class is much better than Tennessee's, but Tyler Smith and JP Prince are nice additions. Basically it's a wash. You HAVE to go with the team that went further in the tourney and won 9 more games when everything else is equal.

Yeah, but UT had to play Ohio St. to get to the Elite 8, and they only lost by 1 to the runner-ups. If Ramar Smith hadn't been a stupid freshman (trying to take it the hoop with a few seconds left) and had given the ball to Lofton, UT would have likely won that game with the most clutch shooter in college basketball taking that final shot. Then, I'm 100% confident they would have beaten Memphis again and made it to at least the Final 4.

As for Memphis winning more games, that's highly indicative of them playing in a terribly weak conference. They shouldn't lose any games in C-USA.

It is kind of a wash, like you said, though. Pre-season rankings don't matter anyway.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 03:21 PM)
I don't mean to put it on you, but this is anything but minor. It's as bad as you can get, committing the same violations are already on probation for.

And the "I didn't know" defense on top of it. It's bush league. I'm not going to call for his head, but he would be on a very thin rope.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 14, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)

I'll have a bit of a rooting intrest in Memphis starting next year when Angel Garcia gets there. Provided he qualifies acedemically? or doesen't back out of his verbal for some reason. Any word on why the twins from Philly backed out of their verbals?

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 01:12 AM)
Yeah, but UT had to play Ohio St. to get to the Elite 8, and they only lost by 1 to the runner-ups. If Ramar Smith hadn't been a stupid freshman (trying to take it the hoop with a few seconds left) and had given the ball to Lofton, UT would have likely won that game with the most clutch shooter in college basketball taking that final shot. Then, I'm 100% confident they would have beaten Memphis again and made it to at least the Final 4.

The vols folded like the cheap suit they were. And they were beaten by an even more clutch player. Memphis was an overall better team, talent-wise.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 12:34 PM)
The vols folded like the cheap suit they were. And they were beaten by an even more clutch player.

Ha, okay... Anyway, this should be a fun year watching Tennessee beat up on the SEC. Final 4... Book it.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 01:58 PM)
Ha, okay... Anyway, this should be a fun year watching Tennessee beat up on the SEC. Final 4... Book it.

I not only enjoyed beating the vols once, but even more the second time. We should have packaged in a lesson about how to wear headbands properly as well. ;)

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 10:44 AM)
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...S0601/310170009

More calls than originally reported, suprise suprise.

"Cell phone records show many of the calls lasted one minute, MacIntyre said. That could indicate the call didn't connect, and thus a violation might not have occurred." So basically we were trying to break the rules but didn't because the recruit didn't pick up.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
"Cell phone records show many of the calls lasted one minute, MacIntyre said. That could indicate the call didn't connect, and thus a violation might not have occurred." So basically we were trying to break the rules but didn't because the recruit didn't pick up.

If you are going to pick and choose your quotes, why not at least try and be fair? What the hell, why in the hell should anyone on a message board actually be objective or fair?

For those that didn't read it, the following appeared directly after the above quote.

Other calls made to a recruit's house might have been intended for the player's father, who doubled as his coach. Programs are allowed to make an unlimited number of calls to coaches.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
If you are going to pick and choose your quotes, why not at least try and be fair? What the hell, why in the hell should anyone on a message board actually be objective or fair?

For those that didn't read it, the following appeared directly after the above quote.

Other calls made to a recruit's house might have been intended for the player's father, who doubled as his coach. Programs are allowed to make an unlimited number of calls to coaches.

Look I'm clearly biased on this one and since I'm not a reporter I have no desire or need to be objective. And sure for the calls that were made to a recruit's house intended for the father I have no problem with that. You think all of those calls were of that persuasion? Come on

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 07:12 PM)
Look I'm clearly biased on this one and since I'm not a reporter I have no desire or need to be objective. And sure for the calls that were made to a recruit's house intended for the father I have no problem with that. You think all of those calls were of that persuasion? Come on

Considering none of those could be proven to be a violation and that reason was brought up as a possibility, I'd say it's very likely that the numbers called matched up with that situation. Can I say all of them? Nope

Look, I am an avid IU fan and I am not happy with what has happened. But all of the crap I have been reading makes me want to defend it even though that is not what I am thinking. It would just be nice if people wouldn't cherry pick the info out there (half of which is untrue or unproven) to prove a point that is ridiculous.

Call me an idiot if you will, but when looking at Sampson's 10 phone calls, it is not that hard to believe his story. If he was a cheater or felt he was above the law, it sure as hell seems like there would have been more than 10 calls in a whole year! Call him sloppy or stupid, but from everything I have read (reporters who dealt with him all year, coaches and recruits) he was doing everything the right way. They talked about how difficult it was to get ahold of him sometimes because they could not get through and he couldn't call them back.

Now the other calls, I can't defend. There isn't much detail out there about them, so I will wait until more info is out before I get my panties in a wad over them, but I certainly am not liking the possibilities there.

I very much try not to overreact to situations and wait for all the information to come out. I am doing so here the best I can. I don't want anyone to think I am in Sampson's corner by any means. But forgive me if I defend some of the BS that flies around the media and the internet based on limited, cherry-picked or false information.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
Marquette's new jerseys. Thoughts? I like the checkerred pattern with the blue but I'm only lukewarm on the whites.

Also, can anyone confirm that Shumpert is going to announce at 5:30 tomorrow?

They aren't as bad as I thought they might be. I agree the blue is definitely better than the white. Since I don't hate them, I guess they get a thumbs up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 03:11 AM)
Shumpert to announce at 5:30 on Comcast. I've heard he's going to all 3 places today.

http://bp0.blogger.com/_wLC1BvCK-88/RxZ4iO...whitejersey.jpg

Also, I deleted that "Lots of UNC rumors" from the quote -- no need for that right now (for this MU fan, at least). Landing Shumpert for MU is a program changer -- landing Shumpert for UNC is just another five star recruit.

Good vibes, fathom -- for the next 19 hours I need good vibes

Edited by CWSGuy406