Official Gavin Floyd/John Danks thread

sox-r-us

Small tidbit on Floyd - encouraging

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,6711128.story

-------------------

One of the most interesting to follow in ST this year is the 4th and 5th pitching spots....thought it might make sense to follow Danks & Floyd here in one combined thread. If mods feel it is not a good idea, feel free to change etc :cheers

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Danks and Floyd in the starting rotation.

nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarhea.

I think both will surprise this year. They both have the stuff. Its amazing the same people who are broken hearted over Garland moving on, are the same people crapping on some young kids getting a shot. Garland was anything but a sure thing a few years back. Or do people forget Judy.

GIve them a chance. If they suck, then move them out and try someone else out.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 10:41 AM)
I think both will surprise this year. They both have the stuff. Its amazing the same people who are broken hearted over Garland moving on, are the same people crapping on some young kids getting a shot. Garland was anything but a sure thing a few years back. Or do people forget Judy.

But Garland has been traded, so now is the greatest pitcher ever!

Idon't miss Garland at all, the kid was a headcase. I think if Danks can develop some Cooper pitches he will be great. Floyd is just crap in my opinion.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 08:41 AM)
Garland was anything but a sure thing a few years back. Or do people forget Judy.

Garland still is anything but a sure thing. He's still getting hammered when he doesn't have pinpoint command of his sinker and two-seamer.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 09:58 AM)
Would you be saying that if he were still a White Sox?

No, and I've been critical of Garland's inconsistency here in the past. I wasn't a fan of the trade for Cabrera because it put a gaping hole in the rotation in a year that we're supposedly still going for it. But I don't think that Garland is anything more than a #3 and I wasn't in favor of Kenny giving him another extension.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(WCSox @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 12:02 PM)
No, and I've been critical of Garland's inconsistency here in the past. I wasn't a fan of the trade for Cabrera because it put a gaping hole in the rotation in a year that we're supposedly still going for it. But I don't think that Garland is anything more than a #3 and I wasn't in favor of Kenny giving him another extension.

There's something to be said for a #3 starter and Garland was above average in that role. Not a lot, but he was solid as a #3.

Danks is learning a cutter and Fields says:

3. Turn the Page – Pitcher John Danks pitched like, well, a rookie the second half of last season, but is poised to have a breakout year. Why? The southpaw has been working on a cutter similar to Buehrle’s since late last year, and now seems to have it mastered. Case in point: On Wednesday, facing live hitters, Danks squared off with spring roommate Josh Fields. “He keeps telling me about this cutter,’’ Fields said, before the showdown. After the seven-pitch at-bat, Fields seemed impressed. “Wow, I guess he wasn’t kidding,’’ Fields added. “It was nastier than advertised.’’

From the Sun-Times Joe Cowley blog.

Meh, never was a huge Jon fan. However, I think its much easier to stomach depending on one unknown youngster in the rotation, not two... couple that with praying JC comes back. We're talking 3 ? marks in the rotation.

One thing you knew you were getting out of Garland was 200 innings of just better than league average pitching. I'm not too concerned though, I'm not expecting a WS this year, and Garland being here instead of Cabrera wouldn't change that one bit.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 10:33 AM)
There's something to be said for a #3 starter and Garland was above average in that role. Not a lot, but he was solid as a #3.

Yeah, he was. But I'm sure that he would've wanted a raise from the $10 million or so that he's making this year. I would've loved to have him for '08, but not past that. I imagine that he's going to be a 4.20-4.50 ERA guy from here on out and he'll be 30 next year. Somebody else can over-pay for him as he enters the downside of his career.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
Danks is learning a cutter and Fields says:

From the Sun-Times Joe Cowley blog.

looks like mark's advice seems to be influencing him (i'm sure that's who gave him the idea to use a cutter, or coop mentioned it because of how effective buerhle's is)

Who knows what impact the cutter's going to have on Danks for this season.

But remember that Esteban Loaiza added a cutter when he 1st joined the White Sox, and became an elite pitcher that season (back in 03 or 04).

Hopefully it'll make it harder for RHH's to hit off him.