Sox sign Tomo Ohka

chisox2334

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 01:24 PM)
So Bobby Jenks, Octavio Dotel, Scott Linebrink, Matt Thornton, Boone Logan and Mike MacDougal with one spot available between:

Masset, Wasserman, Ohka, and Carrasco

With Wasserman having options remaining, it seems like he is most likely headed to Charlotte with one of the other 3 making the 25 roster. Now if Ohka signed a minor league deal, he can actually pitch in Charlotte as well, correct? They also mention this about Carrasco:

So it seems like Masset has the inside track.

Wass and Carrasco will probably be in AAA, and my guess is so will Ohka. Masset will get the job.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
Which I think they both did, but, it seems Ozzie and KW feel otherwise. Oh well. I hope Mike does well.

Ok, slight edit...they had to beat out MMac under the Erstad/Anderson rules from 06, where it had to be overwhelming.

QUOTE(flavum @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Ohka got cut today. Reassigned to minor league camp.

Carrasco outlasted him.

Also...Sisco, Lucy, and Eldred were cut.

32 left in camp.

So that last bullpen slot really is between Masset and Wassermann (even though they aren't the same type) - which means Masset.

And with Lucy and Armstrong gone, that pretty much guarantees we have Toby Hall as the backup C, I think.

EDIT: Better question... what slots are left undecided, and what players are vying for them? Looks like 2 of the 4 bench slots remain open (Hall and Ozuna are in), 1 or maybe 2 bullpen slots (Masset, Carrasco, Wassermann and maybe MacDougal competing), CF (Anderson, Owens), and 2B (Uribe and Ramirez). Plus there is the 3B issue (Crede and Fields).

For the 2 remaining bench spots and the starting CF job, I guess the list includes:

--Whomever of Uribe or Ramirez doesn't start at 2B

--Quentin

--Anderson

--Owens

--Bourgeois

--Richar

Am I missing anyone?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
So that last bullpen slot really is between Masset and Wassermann (even though they aren't the same type) - which means Masset.

And with Lucy and Armstrong gone, that pretty much guarantees we have Toby Hall as the backup C, I think.

Who does this leave in camp now?

Pitchers(14): Buehrle, Carrasco, Contreras, Danks, Dotel, Floyd, Jenks, Linebrink, Logan, MacDougal, Masset, Thornton, Vazquez, Wassermann

Catchers(3): Hall, Phillips, Pierzynski

Infielders(8): Cabrera, Crede, Fields, Konerko, Ozuna, Ramirez, Richar, Uribe

Outfielders(6): Anderson, Bourgeois, Dye, Owens, Quentin, Swisher

DH(1): Thome

In my opinion, Carrasco, Bourgeois, and Phillips are still around as an emergency situation.

Masset will make the team as the long man, with Wassermann falling just short.

A lot of the other moves are contingent on possible trades. Crede and Uribe are still trade possibilities. Anderson is a maybe. Quentin and Richar's health. A lot up in the air in the 8 days left in Arizona.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE(flavum @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 12:25 PM)
Pitchers(14): Buehrle, Carrasco, Contreras, Danks, Dotel, Floyd, Jenks, Linebrink, Logan, MacDougal, Masset, Thornton, Vazquez, Wassermann

Catchers(3): Hall, Phillips, Pierzynski

Infielders(8): Cabrera, Crede, Fields, Konerko, Ozuna, Ramirez, Richar, Uribe

Outfielders(6): Anderson, Bourgeois, Dye, Owens, Quentin, Swisher

DH(1): Thome

In my opinion, Carrasco, Bourgeois, and Phillips are still around as an emergency situation.

Masset will make the team as the long man, with Wassermann falling just short.

A lot of the other moves are contingent on possible trades. Crede and Uribe are still trade possibilities. Anderson is a maybe. Quentin and Richar's health. A lot up in the air in the 8 days left in Arizona.

Yeah, I forgot about Phillips. I'm assuming he'll be the backup in Charlotte behind Lucy.

But you're right, there is still a lot in the air.