Boras is a "Bad Person"

Metz

Since I know nothing about him as a man I can not comment on what kind of person he is but as an agent there isn't another person in the field who's better at their job than Boras. Personally, I have nothing against the guy unlike most people who seem to think he's Satan.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
Since I know nothing about him as a man I can not comment on what kind of person he is but as an agent there isn't another person in the field who's better at their job than Boras. Personally, I have nothing against the guy unlike most people who seem to think he's Satan.

He's a dick but he's good at what he does. Kind of like Bonds. Which is why I kind of like him.

I dont actually agree that he is the best in his field.

At a certain point money does not equal happiness and that is why Boras becomes a detriment to his client.

He is always looking for the best deal because that gives him the biggest pay day, he doesnt go and give home town discounts or do the type of things to make sure that his players stay happy.

Some players are bottom line guys, some players are not. For the latter he is not the best agent in the business.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 12:57 AM)
He is always looking for the best deal because that gives him the biggest pay day, he doesnt go and give home town discounts or do the type of things to make sure that his players stay happy.

HE works for THEM. They tell him what to do.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 07:06 AM)
HE works for THEM. They tell him what to do.

And if you think that's the way it always works, you are naive. How many times have you heard a player say "that's why I hired an agent, to do that work for me." Not all agents take control but many convince the players they know best and"just let me handle it."

This is similar to the players have a say in who runs the union. In theory they do but in practice, the leaders of the union decide who they want and tell the players they should vote for the guy. And by the why there is no one else to run against him.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 08:26 AM)
And if you think that's the way it always works, you are naive. How many times have you heard a player say "that's why I hired an agent, to do that work for me." Not all agents take control but many convince the players they know best and"just let me handle it."

This is similar to the players have a say in who runs the union. In theory they do but in practice, the leaders of the union decide who they want and tell the players they should vote for the guy. And by the why there is no one else to run against him.

No I'm not naive at all. The agent does all the work but the final decision on where he goes and what he does is up to the player, not the agent. If a player wants to give a hometown discount to stay in their city they will do it.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 07:32 AM)
No I'm not naive at all. The agent does all the work but the final decision on where he goes and what he does is up to the player, not the agent. If a player wants to give a hometown discount to stay in their city they will do it.

A player that will do that is few and far between with this type of agent. Some agents listen to players more than others. Boras is not one of them.

QUOTE(ChiSox35 @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 09:38 AM)
Tell that to Arod and Kenny Rogers.

Andruw Jones signed a 5/$75 extension with Atlanta too when Boras had something like 7/$115 on the table from Texas.

It still doesn't matter; there are exceptions to everything. Uribe fired Boras upon arriving in Chicago too; it doesn't change the fact that most of Boras' clients remain with him and that most of his clients make a ton of money.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 09:06 AM)
A player that will do that is few and far between with this type of agent. Some agents listen to players more than others. Boras is not one of them.

That's because most players just want the biggest deal possible and that's what Boras is out to do, and he's the best at doing that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 10:38 PM)
He's a dick but he's good at what he does. Kind of like Bonds. Which is why I kind of like him.

Him being good at what he does could be changing. He's burnt a lot of bridges with GM's and owners with his behavior. And while the superstarts he represetns will aways get their money anyway, it'll be interesting to see how the lesser players fare.

Wasn't this the first year he had more players then normal sign short term contracts or give up a year or 2 of free agency?

Bob