Fantasy Sports Catch-All

knightni

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
I have Renteria sitting on my bench, Hanley as my starting SS and Hafner as my DH. What are some examples of names that would be fair to ask for Renteria straight up, I'm thinking of a power hitting outfielder

Matsui, Dye, Pence and Hawpe as buy-low candidates. Best thing to do is figure out who has a shaky ss and look at who he has. Most teams won't want Renteria in the util slot, so you'll need to find someone with a weak ss or mi.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
Matsui, Dye, Pence and Hawpe as buy-low candidates. Best thing to do is figure out who has a shaky ss and look at who he has. Most teams won't want Renteria in the util slot, so you'll need to find someone with a weak ss or mi.

thanks

Upton went down!

NOOOO

Thank god I got Escobar as my backup in my keeper league.

WOW, one of my leagues I've been in first for whole season, I've reached the 100 point mark in my roto league.

I seriously like got the perfect team. Still can't believe I nabbed Miggy and Utley with 12th pick and every other guy went as ranked.

C Geovany Soto

1B Derrek Lee

2B Chase Utley

3B Miguel Cabrera

SS Carlos Guillen

OF Curtis Granderson

OF Nick Markakis

OF Josh Hamilton

Util Adrian Gonzalez

SP Javy

SP Lincecum

RP Soria

RP Sherrill

P BJ Ryan

P Street

P Edison Volquez

Bn Shaun Marcum

Bn Derek Lowe

Bn Tim Hudson

DL Rich Harden

Edited by ChWRoCk2

I have a dilemma. I have a good trade offer in terms of value, but I'm not sure I won't be shooting myself in the foot if I take it. I need innings in a roto league, so I've been shopping surplus outfielders for starters. I received an offer of Lackey + CYoung (of) for Markakis and Sherrill. Now, I love this in terms of value. I think Markakis and Lackey are close (although I prefer Markakis), and Young is a big upgrade from Sherrill, but I'm struggling in terms of rbi and avg, and Young would be a big step down in both cats. Any advice?

The other problem is that Markakis is a favorite of mine, and, dammit, I just like playing with guys I believe in.

Ugh... This guy is convinced that everyone wants desperately to sell low. He needs a third baseman, so he keeps asking for Braun, offering guys like Francoeur and Pedro. And he just keeps bombarding me with trade offers -- five this morning, not one decent player in the bunch. I'm getting really annoyed by his s***.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 8, 2008 -> 10:13 AM)
Ugh... This guy is convinced that everyone wants desperately to sell low. He needs a third baseman, so he keeps asking for Braun, offering guys like Francoeur and Pedro. And he just keeps bombarding me with trade offers -- five this morning, not one decent player in the bunch. I'm getting really annoyed by his s***.

:lolhitting

I pull the same s*** in my leagues. If a good player isn't doing too hot I'll try to trade two ok players for him, but I have a way of making it look like a good trade.

Take this gem trade I made early in the season:

Rich Hill

Brandon Lyon

for

Kazmir

The guy needed a closer, boy did I score ;)

or this gem

Brad Lidge

for

Matt Kemp

When Kemp wasn't even playing.

Guy also needed a closer.

Remind me to propose about 5 trades or so to you in league 2. :)

Edited by ChWRoCk2

• 2 weeks later...

The latest trade offered to me -- His Werth, Rasner, and Cliff Lee for my Braun and Furcal.

What a f***ing idiot. If you want to sell high on Werth and Lee (and Rasner, I guess...but that's a stretch), you might want to got for, maybe, some of my guys who aren't playing great. Not two of my best players who are kicking ass in the meantime.

So I asked for his Reyes, Sizemore, Webb, Putz, and Lackey for my Escobar, Longoria, Greinke, Duchscherer, and Franklin. I think we're getting pretty close to an agreement here...

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 22, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
The latest trade offered to me -- His Werth, Rasner, and Cliff Lee for my Braun and Furcal.

What a f***ing idiot. If you want to sell high on Werth and Lee (and Rasner, I guess...but that's a stretch), you might want to got for, maybe, some of my guys who aren't playing great. Not two of my best players who are kicking ass in the meantime.

So I asked for his Reyes, Sizemore, Webb, Putz, and Lackey for my Escobar, Longoria, Greinke, Duchscherer, and Franklin. I think we're getting pretty close to an agreement here...

Rofl

Sounds like a trade I received in our soxtalk league.

I'll just tell you it was a player drafted high and two FA fodders for Guillen, Rios and Tex.

Need some advice -- W/ Pedro returning soon, I'm trying to decide who to stash on my dl. Between Byrnes, Hawpe, and Carpenter, who would you choose?

I've never been a Byrnes fan, but, c'mon, 50 sb and 20+ homers. I still have faith in Hawpe, but man if he hasn't tested it. And Carpenter's supposed to return only a year after TJ surgery -- that feels a little soon.

Usually I go with the pitcher, but the other two are pretty damn tempting. Thoughts?

QUOTE (knightni @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:04 PM)
Byrnes could be having surgery.

Both of his hamstrings are torn, so, his SB history is... history.

Originally, they said that they were strained, but they are actually torn somewhat.

Eh...that's the first I've heard of surgery, and I find squat when I do a search. Are you basing that on anything or just speculating? Everything I've read says that he'll probably take longer than 15 days to return, but nothing has said he's suddenly going to lose all his speed, nor need surgery of any kind.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 31, 2008 -> 08:14 PM)
Eh...that's the first I've heard of surgery, and I find squat when I do a search. Are you basing that on anything or just speculating? Everything I've read says that he'll probably take longer than 15 days to return, but nothing has said he's suddenly going to lose all his speed, nor need surgery of any kind.

I heard that he had torn hammies on ESPNNews this afternoon.

The surgery is speculation, I admit. But, he will not be stealing bases for the rest of 2008 with those injuries.

Also, as long as it lingers, the only obvious progression for that injury is surgery.

It just depends on how much pain he can handle in the meantime.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 31, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
I heard that he had torn hammies on ESPNNews this afternoon.

The surgery is speculation, I admit. But, he will not be stealing bases for the rest of 2008 with those injuries.

Also, as long as it lingers, the only obvious progression for that injury is surgery.

It just depends on how much pain he can handle in the meantime.

ALL strains are tears, I believe. It doesn't mean it won't heal, nor that he needs surgery, nor that he won't steal any more this year. I think that would be true for a complete tear, but they haven't backed off the diagnosis of a grade 1 strain, which, if I understand it, would just take some rest to heal -- something like 3 to 4 weeks, give or take.

I'm open to correction, but until I hear something worse, I'm kinda doubting your take.

• 1 month later...