Worst and best offseason signings/trades

DaTank

LOVE-LOVE-LOVE the Quentin deal. Really like the Swisher deal. Another unsung move that I really liked was bringing in Jeff Cox.

I honestly don't have anything bad to say about any moves Kenny's made to this winter...probably the most disappointing was letting Fernando Hernandez go unprotected...but if that's the worst...I'm ok.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 07:50 PM)
Before today I would've said signing Uribe. But suddenly i'm actually looking forward to watching Uribe and Ocab work the infield. I don't think Richar will break with the team out of ST - he's not doing himself any favors showing up late, that's for sure. If Uribe can play solid D at 2B and hit 25 dingers, I think the Sox will be a force in the central. something tells me this move to 2B could be a wake-up call for this guy (at least i hope so).

Juan Uribe has hit 25 homers in a season in the majors as many times as I have. He's also only had one above average season in the majors.

Until he stops swinging at every piece of garbage thrown at him, he's going to be a terrible hitter.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
Until someone overtakes Uribe as 2nd baseman, where it looks like he's going to be playing, then the Uribe signing AND Cabrera trade should be off everyone's "worst" list.

uh, why? I'd much prefer Richar at 2B myself, and while I don't mind the Garland trade as much as some, Cabrera isn't exactly a stud

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 04:41 PM)
Until someone overtakes Uribe as 2nd baseman, where it looks like he's going to be playing, then the Uribe signing AND Cabrera trade should be off everyone's "worst" list.

I don't see any good reason Uribe should be starting at 2B aside from the fact that he is being paid like a starter.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
Juan Uribe has hit 25 homers in a season in the majors as many times as I have. He's also only had one above average season in the majors.

Until he stops swinging at every piece of garbage thrown at him, he's going to be a terrible hitter.

he's hit 23, 16, 21, 20 HR's over the last four seasons. yeah...25's a real stretch.

Best move was acquiring Swisher-no doubt in my mind.

Just consider we gave Podsednik & Erstad over 520 AB's last year. I know its a simplistic sabermetric assumption-replacing Swisher's productivity with Podsednik's & Erstad's but I just do not see how we are not better by having Swisher in the lineup.

The worse move I think is siging Linebrink for 4 yrs-$19mil. It's not that I feel Linebrink is a bad pitcher, in fact I think he is going to be pretty solid for the most part. However his numbers have been trending in the wrong direction in recent years, and due to the wild fluctuation of relief pitcher performance, we are going to be paying nearly 5mil a year for a ugly stretch/season sometime during the length of that deal.

I like the Dotel, Cabrera-replacing Uribe moves & the Ramirez signing also.

I can't wait for the season to start.

QUOTE(haroldbainesknees @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
I like the Dotel, Cabrera-replacing Uribe moves & the Ramirez signing also.

I can't wait for the season to start.

I really think its more like Cabrera replacing Richar, which is still good, because its more likely then not that Uribe will start at 2B. And i agree, I can't wait for the season to start either. I'm pumped.

I really have a sinking feeling that Uribe is going to be starting over Richar and taking mad at-bats from him, or at least leaving thin eggshells for Richar to walk on. Which makes this my least favorite offseason move by default. It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd have traded Garland for Cabrera who was also only going to be around one more year AFTERWARDS, but that's not how it worked out.

Kenny really bought low on Quentin and it could end up working out brilliantly. It took me a couple days to come around on the Swisher signing but it was better than any of the other CFers we could've gotten that year except for maybe Fukudome, assuming he lives up to all that hype.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE(lostfan @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
I really have a sinking feeling that Uribe is going to be starting over Richar and taking mad at-bats from him, or at least leaving thin eggshells for Richar to walk on. Which makes this my least favorite offseason move by default. It wouldn't have been so bad if they'd have traded Garland for Cabrera who was also only going to be around one more year AFTERWARDS, but that's not how it worked out.

Kenny really bought low on Quentin and it could end up working out brilliantly. It took me a couple days to come around on the Swisher signing but it was better than any of the other CFers we could've gotten that year except for maybe Fukudome, assuming he lives up to all that hype.

Well why wouldn't Uribe be starting at 2B over Richar? After wasting all of that money on Uribe in the offseason and Richar not even in camp yet certainly don't help. But I don't know, thats just my mindset.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
Well why wouldn't Uribe be starting at 2B over Richar?

Because he flat out sucks and is never going to get better, the whole reason for the Cabrera trade. How much money is wasted on him shouldn't really matter, it's not like the money was spent on a potential All-Star.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 06:41 PM)
Because he flat out sucks and is never going to get better, the whole reason for the Cabrera trade. How much money is wasted on him shouldn't really matter, it's not like the money was spent on a potential All-Star.

I know I know, I hate him as a player, but you know Kenny, with all the money he put out there for him, he make sure it wont be wasted.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 06:50 PM)
Uribe does not "flat out suck". There is more to baseball than just hitting.

What more does he have? He's a lazy fielder and a slow runner. He has no other tools. Just because he had a good fielding percentage last year doesn't mean he is a good player.

It would be nice if he played defensively like he is capable of doing (i.e., 2004, 2005 etc) all the time because it's legit Gold Glove defense. But he doesn't and he has these inexcusable lapses or he looks like he is loafing around out there. If he was, it'd almost be enough to excuse his awful approach at the plate. It looks like he literally swings as hard as he can on every pitch like a caveman, regardless of where the ball actually is, and sometimes he is lucky enough where he actually hits the ball really hard. But most of the time ends up accidentally burying the tip of his bat about 4 inches in the dirt behind him while he hilariously strikes out.

It's actually pretty comical. But Kenny didn't trade away his #3 starter just because he could.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)
What more does he have? He's a lazy fielder and a slow runner. He has no other tools. Just because he had a good fielding percentage last year doesn't mean he is a good player.

Well, I agree that he has looked lazy at times. But he has shown that he can play very good defense and has a great arm. I would prefer to see him in the backup infielder role this year. He is capable of playing all 3 IF positions, and maybe(hopefully) losing his starting job will light a fire under his fat ass.

QUOTE(Leonard Zelig @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
Well, I agree that he has looked lazy at times. But he has shown that he can play very good defense and has a great arm. I would prefer to see him in the backup infielder role this year. He is capable of playing all 3 IF positions, and maybe(hopefully) losing his starting job will light a fire under his fat ass.

I would definitely prefer him not to start but with Ramirez apparently not having an MLB ready bat just yet (although Ozzie likes his defense) and Richar STILL not reporting to camp, I see Uribe in the starting lineup on Opening Day.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
Personally, my worst was trading Chris Carter for Carlos Quentin. I just don't think Quentin will pan out as many think he will, and I think Carter is going to be a monster. And my best was trading for Swisher. How about you guys?

My favorite was Swisher and the least was signing Linebrink.

But that could change when Kenny is forced to dump Crede for next to nothing.

Bob