College drinking

The Beast

Let me see:

In my Introduction to Speech and Communication class, I sit in the front, even though my professor is a hippy b**** that is ignorant. I sit next to the other geek in the class and the rest of the idiots sit on the other side of the room. It's a 1000 class, what do you expect? Stupid freshmen.

In my English class I sit in the front and I like my professor so it definitely has an effect of where I sit---I actually participate in the class due to the lack of participation and intelligence in the class.

See, in my lecture hall class of American Government, it's funny that you mentioned this thread, gentlemen. My professor said that he's definitely noticed how we all sit after the NIU crisis. He mentioned he got the department to change the blocked exits after NIU. He kicks people out of class for talking in the back. He allows students to get up and kick the desk of a student who sleeps. I love the class, I feel politically informed from it and I just love getting into debates with some idiots. The teacher is great---I don't think he knows about Soxtalk but he is openly a Sox fan from Paris, IL that travels by train to USCF. Anyway, I sit in the front 4 rows, the front 5 if my ex-roommate is in the 3rd row. I can't stand the kid, he probably left because I refused to talk to him.

(Yes, Eastern Illinois University has a bunch of idiots who don't care all that much about their education, but about partying.)

I sit in the middle of my Math class because then I can hide behind the big fat guy who sits in front of me. The teacher's lectures are boring, and I can't stand Mathematics: A Human Endeavor, but I'm doing decently in it. My major is English so this doesn't really matter for me other than it being a Gen Ed.

I am assigned a seat for my Weather and Climate class. Dr. Khan is a psycho and probably suffers from a severe case of OCD since everything is in an orderly fashion.

So, I sit in the front of the class for safety reasons, to decrease my chance for being distracted, and of course, because I like listening to some of my professors and getting a higher education than I did in my partially half assed high school, Downers Grove South.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
I believe all that caught up with my son. He went from top of his h.s. class to academic probation his first semester at state. Hmm, could it be alternating weekends in Austin and San Antonio? :P He's learning.

Should I stop buying him drinks?

:ph34r:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 08:25 PM)
I believe all that caught up with my son. He went from top of his h.s. class to academic probation his first semester at state. Hmm, could it be alternating weekends in Austin and San Antonio? :P He's learning.

Haha, yeah you cant beat being 30 mins from both

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 20, 2008 -> 04:02 PM)
(Yes, Eastern Illinois University has a bunch of idiots who don't care all that much about their education, but about partying.)

I think that's more schools than you realize. And I wouldn't characterize them all as "idiots," since that would classify me as an idiot. I get drunk almost every weekend, enjoy my life, go to class and do well in college. Over the last two semesters, I've managed a 3.4 GPA and I don't see any reason for that to stop this semester, and I'm getting drunk probably more often this semester.

For some, that's apart of finding yourself. For others, it's not. But just because people party doesn't mean they don't care for their education; they are going to school and not living at home for a reason.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
I think that's more schools than you realize. And I wouldn't characterize them all as "idiots," since that would classify me as an idiot. I get drunk almost every weekend, enjoy my life, go to class and do well in college. Over the last two semesters, I've managed a 3.4 GPA and I don't see any reason for that to stop this semester, and I'm getting drunk probably more often this semester.

For some, that's apart of finding yourself. For others, it's not. But just because people party doesn't mean they don't care for their education; they are going to school and not living at home for a reason.

wite,

I guess I just don't like how some people abuse alcohol and that is all they can talk about. It makes me think it is very pathetic that some people just waste their weekends on getting drunk and I don't understand how people remember others from the previous night.

I guess it is because I am a non-drinker who is at a town that is about 30-40 thousand less than my own, and there's not much to do here for me. Things have gotten better because I was able to establish a Warlord: Saga of the Storm CCG community here. Gaming is important to me because it is a social event and I'd much rather talk there than feel uncomfortable around those who are drinking. Not to mention I wouldn't want to become intoxicated and make a choice that would compromise what my girlfriend and I have. I also know of some alcoholics who have problem so I certainly don't want to drink because of that.

I'm not saying all of them are idiots, wite, I apologize for that. But I will say I've definitely seen my fair share of idiots, including my ex-roommate who compromised my life by coming in stumbling drunk and threw up throughout the night---I couldn't sleep when this happened and I had exams the next day. When people mess with my life, I mess with them. I didn't help him with anything when he came in stumbling, because it is not my responsibility to be his caretaker.

I guess I'm finding myself through my observations rather than experiencing some things that I wouldn't exactly call moral. Unlike many others I've upheld my values and beliefs coming into school and I do not change my mind much. Drinking and pre-marital sex are both issues that I am against, so I'm glad I've been upholding my values. I was being a bit too judgmental when it came to partying and their education, but I think many people take their "freedom" a bit to the extreme.

Keeping the Faith,

The Beast

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 01:22 AM)
wite,

I guess I just don't like how some people abuse alcohol and that is all they can talk about. It makes me think it is very pathetic that some people just waste their weekends on getting drunk and I don't understand how people remember others from the previous night.

I guess it is because I am a non-drinker who is at a town that is about 30-40 thousand less than my own, and there's not much to do here for me. Things have gotten better because I was able to establish a Warlord: Saga of the Storm CCG community here. Gaming is important to me because it is a social event and I'd much rather talk there than feel uncomfortable around those who are drinking. Not to mention I wouldn't want to become intoxicated and make a choice that would compromise what my girlfriend and I have. I also know of some alcoholics who have problem so I certainly don't want to drink because of that.

I'm not saying all of them are idiots, wite, I apologize for that. But I will say I've definitely seen my fair share of idiots, including my ex-roommate who compromised my life by coming in stumbling drunk and threw up throughout the night---I couldn't sleep when this happened and I had exams the next day. When people mess with my life, I mess with them. I didn't help him with anything when he came in stumbling, because it is not my responsibility to be his caretaker.

I guess I'm finding myself through my observations rather than experiencing some things that I wouldn't exactly call moral. Unlike many others I've upheld my values and beliefs coming into school and I do not change my mind much. Drinking and pre-marital sex are both issues that I am against, so I'm glad I've been upholding my values. I was being a bit too judgmental when it came to partying and their education, but I think many people take their "freedom" a bit to the extreme.

Keeping the Faith,

The Beast

I really just want to rip you apart for this post.. like really bad

but I know I cant, but let me just say.. I disagree, big time, with every single word in it

wite,

Keeping the Faith,

The Beast

I'll just politely say that the stuff cubssuck told me back in the day about you Ross is 100% correct. But I do respect your opinion bro.... to a degree. ;)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 01:34 AM)
I'll just politely say that the stuff cubssuck told me back in the day about you Ross is 100% correct. But I do respect your opinion bro.... to a degree. ;)

It would be easier to respect but his opinion that drinking will make you an alcoholic and make you cheat on your girlfriend is wrong and just plain misinformed

You can have a nice time, while drinking, without being an incoherent douche

QUOTE(Shadows @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 01:39 AM)
It would be easier to respect but his opinion that drinking will make you an alcoholic and make you cheat on your girlfriend is wrong and just plain misinformed

Oh fo sho Tru. I probably party the most, (or one of, there are others) drink, etc.. than most here and I'm not even in college (finally goin this summer) I just know where the hot spots are based on popularity n s***. I was saying his opinion as a whole, not actually at his post here. Ross would never be a dude I would hang with (I'm not down with World of worldcraft, the pip-pip cheerios, and all that) but I would talk sports. (mostly Sox of course) He needs more life experience, and loosen-up a bit, but I can't knock him on HIS opinionated stuff. Me... I want to enjoy MY life my way. (and for alot of other people) You only got one life to live.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 01:49 AM)
Oh fo sho Tru. I probably party the most, (or one of, there are others) drink, etc.. than most here and I'm not even in college (finally goin this summer) I just know where the hot spots are based on popularity n s***. I was saying his opinion as a whole, not actually at his post here. Ross would never be a dude I would hang with (I'm not down with World of worldcraft, the pip-pip cheerios, and all that) but I would talk sports. (mostly Sox of course) He needs more life experience, and loosen-up a bit, but I can't knock him on HIS opinionated stuff. Me... I want to enjoy MY life my way. (and for alot of other people) You only got one life to live.

I hear that man

You can also be an incoherent douche, like I am half the time, and still not cause a world of problems. The worst thing I did this past Saturday was jump in some snow in my t-shirt. That was a hell of a good time.

It would be difficult to become an alcoholic without drinking, and we all know that the chances of cheating on your girlfriend increases with alcohol. That's usually the first excuse that comes out, "but I waaaas drunk". Then "she came on to me".

But for some, getting really drunk is the only way they can have fun. I respect that. I wonder if they are drinking to forget or to remember?

wite,

Keeping the Faith,

The Beast

Sounds like you didn't care for you roommate too much...

Got a question...you may not drink, but do you go out at all? Warlord, or whatever its called...do you just do that online? Cause I can't imagine that does a whole lot for social interaction.

I mean, whatever your convictions, it is a poor attitude to despise other people for the way they live their life, except of course, if they are destructive to those around them. I laugh off the stupidity of some of the people around me, and I admire (and am somewhat intimidated) by those so successful in school, but I don't hold myself above those who aren't as intelligent or don't make the same choices as me. I work my ass off in school, and the way I blow off steam may be different than the way you blow off steam, but it doesn't mean yours is any more respectable or productive than mine.

Edited by bmags

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
I mean, whatever your convictions, it is a poor attitude to despise other people for the way they live their life, except of course, if they are destructive to those around them. I laugh off the stupidity of some of the people around me, and I admire (and am somewhat intimidated) by those so successful in school, but I don't hold myself above those who aren't as intelligent or don't make the same choices as me. I work my ass off in school, and the way I blow off steam may be different than the way you blow off steam, but it doesn't mean yours is any more respectable or productive than mine.

I had 5 exams and 2 essays in the past week, yesterday being my last. You better believe I got f***ed up last night to celebrate. Does that make me a bad person? No. Does that make others that don't drink better? No.

I totally respect those who do not drink. I think that is a great choice to make. But don't try to tell me I'm a bad person because I drink. Like wite says, it's possible to be an incoherent douche and not cause problems. To think otherwise is retarded.

Oh, and gaming is NOT a social event. Unless it is drunken Guitar Hero.

I had a friend in college from Effingham (one of the best names for a town...evar!). He would be drunk almost every night on this stuff called "benzene" which was absolutely awful. BUT, he did all his homework first and got straight A's. In fact, he ended up at Harvard Law and is now a top tax attorney at one of the biggest law firms in Chicago.

I certainly don't condone that behavior, but it worked for him. So...who am I to judge?

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
I had a friend in college from Effingham (one of the best names for a town...evar!). He would be drunk almost every night on this stuff called "benzene" which was absolutely awful. BUT, he did all his homework first and got straight A's. In fact, he ended up at Harvard Law and is now a top tax attorney at one of the biggest law firms in Chicago.

I certainly don't condone that behavior, but it worked for him. So...who am I to judge?

Skadden? Kirkland/Ellis?

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 01:34 AM)

I never cared for what Andrew had to say about me here. High School was a learning experience and college has been a difficult adjustment so far. You don't have to respect my opinion. Just don't judge me with what Andrew had to say about me.

Look man, I'm not saying that it will happen while drinking, I just said that could be an example why some choose not to drink. I do not think that I am misinformed.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 01:49 AM)

SoxAce, it is almost as if you think that you know me. Have we met before? I really don't agree with underaged drinking---it's a personal belief. I don't hold it against people, I just judge people on their character, and for most of the students on the campus, I feel that many of them are all acting the same way.

I don't mind that you wouldn't hang with me. What does pip-pip cheerios mean? I'd definitely talk sports with you. I'm not much for drinking, but I don't think you need to do so to get a "real life experience." I am loose, and I love my life. I don't agree with someone people's way of life, but I'm not going to knock them for it unless their actions speak for who they are in a negative way.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 02:18 AM)
You can also be an incoherent douche, like I am half the time, and still not cause a world of problems. The worst thing I did this past Saturday was jump in some snow in my t-shirt. That was a hell of a good time.

That is harmless compared to what I see happen here on the weekends. That would be fun even if you were sober, right?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 07:55 AM)
It would be difficult to become an alcoholic without drinking, and we all know that the chances of cheating on your girlfriend increases with alcohol. That's usually the first excuse that comes out, "but I waaaas drunk". Then "she came on to me".

But for some, getting really drunk is the only way they can have fun. I respect that. I wonder if they are drinking to forget or to remember?

I don't make excuses, I just tell it like it is. (After all, I'm an Umpire, heh.) I just think some people on this campus should have fun regardless of whether or not alcohol is involved. I'm not planning on cheating or drinking, so good.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 10:06 AM)
Sounds like you didn't care for you roommate too much...

Got a question...you may not drink, but do you go out at all? Warlord, or whatever its called...do you just do that online? Cause I can't imagine that does a whole lot for social interaction.

He didn't like me from the first day we met. He's a liar and a total drunkard. You can't trust the kid at all. Yes, he and others on campus are destructive when they drink. I live on a floor that has a 2.45 GPA (I got a 3.2 GPA) and have several floor fines pending for damges from when they were drunk. There's too many stories that are negative, it would take a long time to list them.

It's funny you ask if I ever go out. To me, I feel like just hanging around the dorm, playing some video games, renting a movie from the movie store as well as grabbing dinner with my guy friends because that works just fine for me. I go home every once and so often to see my girlfriend. As for Warlord, I play that and Magic: The Gathering on the weekend with friends. I am involved with several things at school including the newspaper, I have my own radio show streamed online and I am becoming a eucharistic minister for the church. (No, religion doesn't have anything to do with my values of not drinking---people have asked me this since I'm a Catholic.)

Actually, my girlfriend and I do play EverQuest II online which is similar to World of Warcraft, but we do that during the week when nobody does anything but waste away in the dorms. Warlord and Magic both are definitely interactive as well as social, and I have actually traveled to GenCon in Indianapolis to play Warlord, I find that fun. They have developed a sense of community and there's a bunch of interaction that occurs without drinking. Recently I have created a small playgroup for Warlord that has extended into the next town of Mattoon, IL at a card store called The End Zone. I'm real excited about it.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 12:12 PM)
But don't try to tell me I'm a bad person because I drink.

Oh, and gaming is NOT a social event. Unless it is drunken Guitar Hero.

I didn't mean to come off as, "you are a bad person if you drink."

Why do you need to be drunk to have fun and be social with Guitar Hero? How is Gaming not a social event? There are several gamers on my campus and we consider this a social event.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 21, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
I had a friend in college from Effingham (one of the best names for a town...evar!). He would be drunk almost every night on this stuff called "benzene" which was absolutely awful.

I just thought I'd let you know I'm close to Effingham, about 30 miles away.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
All I can say is that college is as good of a time as any to create some memories. Gotta be spontaneous every once in a while.

It all depends on what your beliefs are - and which option you'll 'regret' the most: will you regret drinking and abondoning your beliefs (if you believe that you shouldn't drink underage) or will you regret not drinking more to have some experiences that is really only acceptable in college?

I didn't drink much my first few years in college (some but not all the time) because of athletics, but my last year, when I didn't swim, I drank like a fish (also got a 4.0). Both were great experiences, and I'm glad that I didn't let alcohol affect my athletic performance those first few years. I would have regretted it if I did. I'm also glad that I had a year of what many consider a 'typical' college experience. Like I said, it all depends on your beliefs and priorities. If Beast were being pressured into his beliefs, I'd say relax, but if that's who he is, good for him to stick with a set of beliefs that are the minority on most campuses.