College drinking

The Beast

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Feb 22, 2008 -> 04:12 PM)
It all depends on what your beliefs are - and which option you'll 'regret' the most: will you regret drinking and abondoning your beliefs (if you believe that you shouldn't drink underage) or will you regret not drinking more to have some experiences that is really only acceptable in college?

Like I said, it all depends on your beliefs and priorities. If Beast were being pressured into his beliefs, I'd say relax, but if that's who he is, good for him to stick with a set of beliefs that are the minority on most campuses.

That's the thing, I do not want to abandon my beliefs. I do not want to abandon what I have back home with my girlfriend or screw with alcohol because I know alcoholics, and I know the effects of alcohol. Peer pressure has never fazed me, and I can say confidently that my 2 1/2+ years of dating my girlfriend have created several memories that I'll treasure forever, and as I said in the Valentine I made for her, I want to make more memories with her. No girl compares to her. I plan on creating memories of gaming and meeting quality intellectual and not generic individuals.

I'm not being pressured at all---this is truly who I am. Thanks for seeing my point, Disco. :headbang :notworthy

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 12:20 AM)
That's the thing, I do not want to abandon my beliefs. I do not want to abandon what I have back home with my girlfriend or screw with alcohol because I know alcoholics, and I know the effects of alcohol. Peer pressure has never fazed me, and I can say confidently that my 2 1/2+ years of dating my girlfriend have created several memories that I'll treasure forever, and as I said in the Valentine I made for her, I want to make more memories with her. No girl compares to her. I plan on creating memories of gaming and meeting quality intellectual and not generic individuals.

I'm not being pressured at all---this is truly who I am. Thanks for seeing my point, Disco. :headbang :notworthy

First off, peer pressure is a bulls*** excuse created by people with no self control.

Alcoholism and social drinking is totally different as well. I basically disagree with everything you said in this thread. Drinking is not bad. And people who drink are not bad. I commend you on sticking to your beliefs and what not, but don't try to put yourself above others because you don't drink. And it's also bulls*** that you label people generic because they drink. Gamers are a totally unique group of "intellectuals" right?

I don't smoke weed. I know many people that do. I don't agree with it and I won't do it, but I don't formulate opinions about people because they smoke weed once in a while.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 01:43 AM)
First off, peer pressure is a bulls*** excuse created by people with no self control.

Alcoholism and social drinking is totally different as well. I basically disagree with everything you said in this thread. Drinking is not bad. And people who drink are not bad. I commend you on sticking to your beliefs and what not, but don't try to put yourself above others because you don't drink. And it's also bulls*** that you label people generic because they drink. Gamers are a totally unique group of "intellectuals" right?

I don't smoke weed. I know many people that do. I don't agree with it and I won't do it, but I don't formulate opinions about people because they smoke weed once in a while.

I have self control. I am not saying alcoholics and social drinking is the same thing either. Underaged drinking is bad. It is against the law. I think it is a bit corrupt that my RA and people on campus overlook the alcohol use by people under 21. I think drinking tickets are justified by police because it is against the law. I'm not putting myself above others, either. Please, do not think I label people generic because they drink. I am just sick of seeing the same old people around because they are so generic. I also am not saying we're a unique group of intellectuals, but generally, on my campus I feel I can only have a non-generic conversation with only select individuals because so many others have to have alcohol to have a good time here. It's people that game I feel like I can relate most with, and I'm not saying the others aren't all generic, but what I am saying is that for the most part on my campus, I see the same kind of generic individuals with little to nothing intellectual to talk about.

Smoking Marijuana is still against the law. I wish some people would take laws into consideration and follow them---again, people on my campus smoke marijuana just like they drink---every single weekend.

Edited by The Beast

You ever bother to think that some laws might be unjust and written poorly? Or do you always want to be a blind sheep? I'm not telling you to break the law, but perhaps you should step away from WoW for just an hour an think why some other people in this world make the decisions you don't.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)
I have self control. I am not saying alcoholics and social drinking is the same thing either. Underaged drinking is bad. It is against the law. I think it is a bit corrupt that my RA and people on campus overlook the alcohol use by people under 21. I think drinking tickets are justified by police because it is against the law. I'm not putting myself above others, either. Please, do not think I label people generic because they drink. I am just sick of seeing the same old people around because they are so generic. I also am not saying we're a unique group of intellectuals, but generally, on my campus I feel I can only have a non-generic conversation with only select individuals because so many others have to have alcohol to have a good time here. It's people that game I feel like I can relate most with, and I'm not saying the others aren't all generic, but what I am saying is that for the most part on my campus, I see the same kind of generic individuals with little to nothing intellectual to talk about.

Smoking Marijuana is still against the law. I wish some people would take laws into consideration and follow them---again, people on my campus smoke marijuana just like they drink---every single weekend.

you sound like a blast.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 12:03 PM)

Underage drinking is against the law in the United States, where many people believe we are still Puritans. A glass of wine a day is good for your heart. A glass of beer a day is good for your blood. I enjoy having a few drinks with friends and have been out with people who don't drink. According to my alcohol and society class I took in college, we were all alcoholics...we were binge drinkers. If I believed that, I'd probably be lying in a gutter somewhere.

Not to mention you are still a young man. It's nice you think so highly of your girlfriend, but for the love of all that's holy, you are in college. You have a lot of life to live. Enjoy it.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
According to my alcohol and society class I took in college, we were all alcoholics...we were binge drinkers. If I believed that, I'd probably be lying in a gutter somewhere.

That's because the "definition" of binge drinking is 4/5 or more drinks in one night, which is bulls***. If you're sitting down and being social, not even heavy drinking, there's a good chance you'll hit 4 or 5 drinks in a night before you're done. It's a crap definition.

I do agree that there's nothing wrong with drinking. If you're in control, and aren't an idiot, it's a fun time. And if you don't want to drink, that's cool too. You can still be social without drinking though, even when other people drink. One of my better friends refuses to drink, yet he still hangs out with us from time to time and has fun.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
You ever bother to think that some laws might be unjust and written poorly? Or do you always want to be a blind sheep? I'm not telling you to break the law, but perhaps you should step away from WoW for just an hour an think why some other people in this world make the decisions you don't.

I do not play World of Warcraft, so stop saying that I do. I do know why some people make different decisions, but I'm just saying, it's hard to hang with people on the weekends when they are drinking and you are trying to have an intellectual conversation with someone. Regardless of what the belief is, it is STILL against the law.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 23, 2008 -> 07:57 PM)
Not to mention you are still a young man. It's nice you think so highly of your girlfriend, but for the love of all that's holy, you are in college. You have a lot of life to live. Enjoy it.

What the heck is this supposed to mean? When I was going away to school, I knew what I was going to do, and that was to maintain my relationship with my girlfriend when I was going away. I do not feel like doing this whole, going to a party or hanging around people who are drinking kind of thing. When I'm 21, I probably will have a beer or two when I watch a baseball game, but I'm really not one to like to go to bars or go hang with people who are drinking to get drunk. I've never been around people drinking underaged and I've never in my 19 years of existence had a drink in my life. The life I want to live is what I have right now, with a healthy relationship (which I will not go out and ruin by doing said things), a close family, a few close friends, hobbies, a job when I return home, and just overall, the life I want is not too shabby. No need to change things, IMO. And I'm not going to go hit on some girl or drink and do something I regret to hurt things in my relationship---that would just be dumb.

QUOTE(Felix @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 10:24 AM)
I do agree that there's nothing wrong with drinking. If you're in control, and aren't an idiot, it's a fun time. And if you don't want to drink, that's cool too. You can still be social without drinking though, even when other people drink. One of my better friends refuses to drink, yet he still hangs out with us from time to time and has fun.

I guess I think a lot of people at my campus are not in control of their drinking, so that makes things ridiculously idiotic. I am social without drinking and hang around others who don't as well, and as I mentioned, things are going well in my life, so there's no need to change to drink, among other things.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(The Beast @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
I do not play World of Warcraft, so stop saying that I do. I do know why some people make different decisions, but I'm just saying, it's hard to hang with people on the weekends when they are drinking and you are trying to have an intellectual conversation with someone. Regardless of what the belief is, it is STILL against the law.

What the heck is this supposed to mean? When I was going away to school, I knew what I was going to do, and that was to maintain my relationship with my girlfriend when I was going away. I do not feel like doing this whole, going to a party or hanging around people who are drinking kind of thing. When I'm 21, I probably will have a beer or two when I watch a baseball game, but I'm really not one to like to go to bars or go hang with people who are drinking to get drunk. I've never been around people drinking underaged and I've never in my 19 years of existence had a drink in my life. The life I want to live is what I have right now, with a healthy relationship (which I will not go out and ruin by doing said things), a close family, a few close friends, hobbies, a job when I return home, and just overall, the life I want is not too shabby. No need to change things, IMO. And I'm not going to go hit on some girl or drink and do something I regret to hurt things in my relationship---that would just be dumb.

I guess I think a lot of people at my campus are not in control of their drinking, so that makes things ridiculously idiotic. I am social without drinking and hang around others who don't as well, and as I mentioned, things are going well in my life, so there's no need to change to drink, among other things.

When I went to college, I drank underage, I joined a fraternity, got hammered a lot. It really never affected my grades as far as I could tell, and really the people I was around were doing the same thing as me so I really never even thought how my behavior would affect others in the bars and restaurants and parties where I was drunk, although I was a happy one. Now several years out of college, I don't drink that much, maybe a couple of beers at a game, or some cocktails at a party. There are a few occassions when I know I'm probably going to be overserved, so I'm pretty much prepared for it. The thing is, when I go to places sober like I used to go in hammered and see people acting like I did, to a point I see they are just having fun, but in a way I do see your point of view. While I was a lot different than you when I was a student, and may not totally agree with all of your views, I do admire you sticking to you them.

I'm not a huge partier, but in college (I still do it now) at least a few times a month I'd go all out and just let lose. For me it was nice to have some drinks (probably a few more than I should have, haha), joke around with friends, make jackasses out of each other and just have a blast and if single at the time, maybe get lucky). I can have tons of fun with a drink in my hand or without it, but don't consider people idiots just because they drink. Nor think that they need a drink in there hands to have fun.

I'd never play Magic the Gathering, but are we sitting around stereotyping you as an idiot for playing that, no. So why stereotype us for having a drink in our hand.

And in terms of grades, I graduated with a 3.75 so I don't think it ever got in my way (obviously for some people it might, but that is just because that person doesn't have there priorities straight). I'd bet there are more people failing out of school from playing Warcart and crap like that than from boozing.

I just don't get what the problem is, beastly. Honestly, what did you expect when going away to school? If you like gaming and don't want to drink, then good for you, more power to you but others want to live their lives differently and not everyone is a moron when they drink. These last few years have easily been the best of my life and I'd be lying if I said that alcohol/partying didn't have something to do with that.

And what I was saying isn't that you should cheat on your girlfriend, or drink when you don't want to, but you are 19 and not everything happens the way you want it to happen. 10 years from now, you may look back on this time and laugh at how different things are. Hey, if it works out the way you want to, great. Just don't be too harsh on yourself or anyone else.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
When I went to college, I drank underage, I joined a fraternity, got hammered a lot. It really never affected my grades as far as I could tell, and really the people I was around were doing the same thing as me so I really never even thought how my behavior would affect others in the bars and restaurants and parties where I was drunk, although I was a happy one. Now several years out of college, I don't drink that much, maybe a couple of beers at a game, or some cocktails at a party. There are a few occassions when I know I'm probably going to be overserved, so I'm pretty much prepared for it. The thing is, when I go to places sober like I used to go in hammered and see people acting like I did, to a point I see they are just having fun, but in a way I do see your point of view. While I was a lot different than you when I was a student, and may not totally agree with all of your views, I do admire you sticking to you them.

All I would like to say to this is thank you for your post.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
I'm not a huge partier, but in college (I still do it now) at least a few times a month I'd go all out and just let lose. For me it was nice to have some drinks (probably a few more than I should have, haha), joke around with friends, make jackasses out of each other and just have a blast and if single at the time, maybe get lucky). I can have tons of fun with a drink in my hand or without it, but don't consider people idiots just because they drink. Nor think that they need a drink in there hands to have fun.

I'd never play Magic the Gathering, but are we sitting around stereotyping you as an idiot for playing that, no. So why stereotype us for having a drink in our hand.

And in terms of grades, I graduated with a 3.75 so I don't think it ever got in my way (obviously for some people it might, but that is just because that person doesn't have there priorities straight). I'd bet there are more people failing out of school from playing Warcart and crap like that than from boozing.

1. I consider people who can't control themselves after they consume alcohol idiots.

2. I'm not stereotyping---people do really stupid things after drinking at school.

3. It does take a toll on some people's grades. It is World of Warcraft, not Warcart. Your argument could be proven, but so could mine.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
I just don't get what the problem is, beastly. Honestly, what did you expect when going away to school? If you like gaming and don't want to drink, then good for you, more power to you but others want to live their lives differently and not everyone is a moron when they drink. These last few years have easily been the best of my life and I'd be lying if I said that alcohol/partying didn't have something to do with that.

I expected maybe initially I would have a decent enough roommate to develop a group of friends with who, I don't know, maybe wouldn't want to get drunk on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I expected that more people would have something better to say than just some generic crap. I expected some deeper conversations---like the ones I have with my girlfriend. I don't think transferring would do much because the counter argument I hear is, "All colleges are like that." Not everyone is a moron when they drink, but on my campus, I feel a vast majority of them don't do so responsibly and so, they are idiots. I suppose the best few years of my life so far were June 2005-end of summer of 2007, and I think once things start to slow down and spring comes out, things could get better. I've also had a blast over the times I've come home or just got together to game on Friday nights. But without my close relationship of actually being with my girlfriend, it's definitely different. (And that's okay, I knew there'd be challenges---I'm willing to face them and do anything I need to.) Luckily we have an early Spring Break in 12 days or so, so that will be fun. I'm glad that you're having fun but for me, I guess it has been a struggle---although it has been better since I've found myself with people who like to game and recently I've found my relationship with God, my girlfriend, old friends and my family to get even better.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 02:11 PM)
And what I was saying isn't that you should cheat on your girlfriend, or drink when you don't want to, but you are 19 and not everything happens the way you want it to happen. 10 years from now, you may look back on this time and laugh at how different things are. Hey, if it works out the way you want to, great. Just don't be too harsh on yourself or anyone else.

One of the things that I find different about me than others is that my morals are strong, I don't do things I know I will regret, and if I want something so bad, I will do just about anything to get what I want. I do not wish to drink at all, I do not find it healthy and actually think I'm in the best shape of my life from exercising (even with the lousy dorm food). I'd love it if it works out, but I know I'll always have the people who are skeptical. Yes I'm optimistic.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
This thread is too wordy.

Some of it may have to do with where people go. Carbondale, there is nothing else to do. There are bars galore. Other alum here would agree.

I agree with the Bar part, but I have to disagree on things for people to do. I know a ton of things to do in and around carbondale. It just so happens that alcohol is part of many of the other things to do.

QUOTE(Brian @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 05:47 PM)
This thread is too wordy.

Some of it may have to do with where people go. Carbondale, there is nothing else to do. There are bars galore. Other alum here would agree.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)
I agree with the Bar part, but I have to disagree on things for people to do. I know a ton of things to do in and around carbondale. It just so happens that alcohol is part of many of the other things to do.

Haha, we're awesome.

QUOTE(BurlyMan56 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 09:02 PM)
I can't play world of warcraft and watch white sox baseball but I can drink and watch it so therefore, Drinking>Gaming

:lol: That might be the best explanation I've read so far on why drinking is great.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Feb 24, 2008 -> 05:55 PM)

Beat me to it. I would think SIU has more stuff to do than any other University in the state, not in the city though. Theres the drinking to of course

ok dude, one thing i want to make PERFECTLY clear.

Just because you drink does NOT mean you will cheat on girlfriend or "hurt your relationship". In my life, only ONCE have i ever done something i sincerely regretted while drunk - and it was after the breakup so hey, no harm done.

also, here are my reactions to your story:

- you're 19 years old and you're so gosh dang committed to this girl which hey, fine, that's nice. but make sure you're making YOU happy and not just doing things to make HER happy. If 2 years from now you break up, will you look back and regret not making the most of your college experience by going out and just letting loose for once??

- gaming =/= social. fine, Magic may be, but you dont even know most of the people you 'interact' with online, and if you're looking for "deep meaningful relationships" why don't you GO OUT AND MAKE SOME FRIENDS!!!???

- I drink usually 2-3 times a week on average and I have a 3.6 after 3 years of school along with working 3 jobs, acting in shows (2 simultaneously right now) and learning/practicing guitar. Think i'm an idiot? I think you'll find that for the most part, alcohol consumption does not affect GPA much at all and you can't put people into stereotyped generalized categories either - you're being just as "idiotic" as them by being so freaking closed minded.

- You kid, just need to get out and LIVE your life. Otherwise I'm pretty damn sure you're gonna look back with regret. You only live once, amigo, and in all honesty - mistakes are a part of the game. if you don't let yourself make mistakes you'll never learn from them and you'll never grow. you'll stay the static human being you are now for the next 70 years. personally not something that sounds all that great to me.

-

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 01:58 AM)
I don't see an end to this thread.

This is the thread that never ends

It just goes on and on my friends

Some people started posting in it

Not knowing what it was

And they'll continue posting in it forever just because...

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 25, 2008 -> 01:17 AM)
ok dude, one thing i want to make PERFECTLY clear.

Just because you drink does NOT mean you will cheat on girlfriend or "hurt your relationship". In my life, only ONCE have i ever done something i sincerely regretted while drunk - and it was after the breakup so hey, no harm done.

also, here are my reactions to your story:

- you're 19 years old and you're so gosh dang committed to this girl which hey, fine, that's nice. but make sure you're making YOU happy and not just doing things to make HER happy. If 2 years from now you break up, will you look back and regret not making the most of your college experience by going out and just letting loose for once??

- gaming =/= social. fine, Magic may be, but you dont even know most of the people you 'interact' with online, and if you're looking for "deep meaningful relationships" why don't you GO OUT AND MAKE SOME FRIENDS!!!???

- I drink usually 2-3 times a week on average and I have a 3.6 after 3 years of school along with working 3 jobs, acting in shows (2 simultaneously right now) and learning/practicing guitar. Think i'm an idiot? I think you'll find that for the most part, alcohol consumption does not affect GPA much at all and you can't put people into stereotyped generalized categories either - you're being just as "idiotic" as them by being so freaking closed minded.

- You kid, just need to get out and LIVE your life. Otherwise I'm pretty damn sure you're gonna look back with regret. You only live once, amigo, and in all honesty - mistakes are a part of the game. if you don't let yourself make mistakes you'll never learn from them and you'll never grow. you'll stay the static human being you are now for the next 70 years. personally not something that sounds all that great to me.

Look dude, I didn't want to need to bring this up in the thread, but I will. I have dealt with depression before in my life and so I think that if I did drink and do something while intoxicated, I would regret it. Let me phrase it this way, I would regret drinking. I don't do things that I would regret.

I won't look back "if 2 years from now" we break up---I do things to make me happy, as my fore mentioned hobbies indicate. My college experience is going to be great, I just need some things (I'm not sure what) to fall into place.

I think there's a common misconception about gamers, we actually do talk about things other than just talk about gaming while gaming. We do have meaningful in depth conversations about things as well as share our lives with each other, and that works for us. I do know people, Magic the Gathering and Warlord are not online---that would be EverQuest or World of Warcraft. I do in fact know all of the people that I play with online. I also have friends that aren't gamers, too.

My god, man, I have already established something about your third reaction in my thread. I do not see a need to further go into this.

I am living my life. Living my life means getting my school work done, working out, having conversations with people instead of generic crap that I had when I started out here, continuing to work as a patched IHSA umpire, having a relationship with my girlfriend, having friends from back home to hang with, gaming here, watching movies here and doing things the way I want them to be done. There is a way to make sure you can prevent things so then mistakes don't consume you in the end---especially if you don't want to regret things, because I know I would and I would always wonder what I would have had if I stayed true to my values and beliefs instead of just changing them.

Edited by The Beast