College drinking

The Beast

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 05:52 AM)
I am not sure what group I agree with here. I find that to engage in a lot of socialization in college, drinking is almost a must. However, that being said, I have never had a drink of alcohol in my life and I am sure I have missed out on a ton of the socialization in college. But, i honestly don't care too much about being that social, so it really never mattered to me. This is an interesting conversation.

well, honestly, my post two pages ago may have been ignored, but it rings true. I thing this thread response encapsulated two things:

1) People didn't like being told they were dropout losers because they drank

2) trying to help out beast learn the values of person to person interaction

I have friends that don't drink. BUT, they don't shy away from interaction. Parties aren't their scene and my fraternity and myself respect that, but they also are involved in a lot of things in campus. That is not a "in place of system", where you aren't drinking so you must do this instead, but, I think it is important in college to push yourself far more than academically and mix yourself with different groups of people for self growth. My greatest personal strides in college have not come from drinking, but from interaction with a diverse group of people (i was a summer welcome leader), and I feel it's important to building important social skills. That said, I work my ass off in school, do drink, do have fun, and resent a sentiment that because i do these things and get stupid on weekends I'm somehow inferior. My friend turned 21 tonight, I don't regret celebrating it.

And maggsmaggs, you live in almost a perfect college campus. I love our cafe culture, our music culture, our film culture. Go take advantage of the j-school buying T/F tickets and go to the director Q and A, you'll meet people there. Get as diverse a network as you can, because our campus, as well as many college ones, have such a great opportunity to maximize every strength available.

and go tigers baseball. Go Crow.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)
well, honestly, my post two pages ago may have been ignored, but it rings true. I thing this thread response encapsulated two things:

I have friends that don't drink. BUT, they don't shy away from interaction. Parties aren't their scene and my fraternity and myself respect that, but they also are involved in a lot of things in campus. That is not a "in place of system", where you aren't drinking so you must do this instead, but, I think it is important in college to push yourself far more than academically and mix yourself with different groups of people for self growth. My greatest personal strides in college have not come from drinking, but from interaction with a diverse group of people (i was a summer welcome leader), and I feel it's important to building important social skills. That said, I work my ass off in school, do drink, do have fun, and resent a sentiment that because i do these things and get stupid on weekends I'm somehow inferior. My friend turned 21 tonight, I don't regret celebrating it.

:headbang

I spent more of my time in college building race cars than drinking.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 03:19 AM)

Well said. I have great memories from college doing community service, and great memories from the bars. It's not what you are doing, but the people you are with.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 11:52 PM)
But, i honestly don't care too much about being that social, so it really never mattered to me.

I think that is what it really comes down to for me.

QUOTE(CubsSuck1 @ Feb 27, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
I can honestly say you are the most serious person I've ever met.

Why's that?

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 02:19 AM)

And maggsmaggs, you live in almost a perfect college campus. I love our cafe culture, our music culture, our film culture. Go take advantage of the j-school buying T/F tickets and go to the director Q and A, you'll meet people there. Get as diverse a network as you can, because our campus, as well as many college ones, have such a great opportunity to maximize every strength available.

and go tigers baseball. Go Crow.

You live in Missouri. Never associate the word perfect with that state again.

QUOTE(bmags @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 03:38 PM)
I heard they are cuttin down hard on it this year. It'll be the first one i've missed since junior year of high school

yeah, a little bit. But this is the first one that I'll be 21 for, so no worries.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 07:14 PM)
i think this should become the new drunk posting thread. :)

Yeah, especially since the debate is over. You know, I'm going to ask for a video camera for my birthday, go around campus and put drunk video tapes on youtube or blue box. :lolhitting

QUOTE(SnB @ Feb 28, 2008 -> 04:29 PM)
I'm sitting here at 3:30, drinking stroh's, getting prepared for the fun that will be unofficial tomorrow.

(what an awful beer, but it's what my dad drinks so i had to get it in honor of him.)

Oh my god. Stroh's is by far the worst tasting beer I have ever had. It is INCREDIBLY watered down.