So Brian Anderson's hitting...

Steve9347

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the Sox brass isn't against the idea of Anderson winning a job.

It's too early in spring training to get too excited, but if this guy has learned

how to hit and get on base and earns the job, he should get it this spring.

Remember how high everybody was on Anderson just 2 years ago?

If he is the real deal, I hope he's not denied the job just because of how

he flopped before.

Tony ... how did he look when you were there? Did he take aggressive hacks?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 11:17 PM)
Nope, I didnt read that. And I said ability, which they both had to be effective, of course the probability of them not being effective was much higher. I think you confused me for endorsing those players, those signings were awful.

All I know is that a white sox fan should want the OF to be Quentin, Swish and Dye, because that gives us the most talent offensively IMO. Quentin is going to end up a ridiculously superior hitter than Owens. Most likely Swish should lead off at this point.

You know, I like Quentin as much as the next guy and think he's gonna be a good hitter, but some of you guys are talking as if Quentin has actually done something at the major-league level that we should be excited about. Yeah, I know he's had bad luck with injuries. But that doesn't change anything. We're not going off of much here.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 07:19 PM)
You know, I like Quentin as much as the next guy and think he's gonna be a good hitter, but some of you guys are talking as if Quentin has actually done something at the major-league level that we should be excited about. Yeah, I know he's had bad luck with injuries. But that doesn't change anything. We're not going off of much here.

Coming up with the D-Backs and hitting 9 home runs in his first 166 at bats is nothing to scoff at.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 09:19 PM)

He was hurt all last year - hurt in spring training.

The year before 2006 in 162 plate appearances with Arizona he had an OPS of .872. (which is lower than he ever had in the minors, so it's no wild aberration).

That's something I'm excited about.

QUOTE(ballyb11 @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 10:34 PM)
He was hurt all last year - hurt in spring training.

The year before 2006 in 162 plate appearances with Arizona he had an OPS of .872. (which is lower than he ever had in the minors, so it's no wild aberration).

That's something I'm excited about.

I'm not saying not to be excited about Quentin being a good player. Hell, I am. I just think some people need to temper their enthusiasm a bit. They're acting like Quentin is already a fringe All-Star player from his first ABs with the Sox. When in reality he's going to need time and patience.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
In 05 we won because of great pitching and an offense that got hot at the very end of the year. Outside of that in 05 the offense was bad. In the first part of 06 we hit the crap out of the ball, and in the 2nd part of 06 Pods was lost in groin-injurville. In 06 we had a good offense because Thome and company were crushing the ball and hitting everything. Not because Pods was stealing bases.

I understand that. However, no matter what way you look at it, the Sox under Guillen and KW have one with this type of offense and I think they will stick with it.

I know the stats people hate it but many people in baseball including those in power believe in the "lineup roles" Leadoff hitter being the speedy base stealer, the second guy is a good bat handler, the third is the best overall hitter and the cleanup guy has the best power.

You can state the reasons you believe the White Sox have done well until last year but that will not change the fact that they have been successful while employing this type of offense. The pitching and good defense factor into the way they built it as well.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 3, 2008 -> 11:01 AM)
And all of... one division title and playoff appearance.

It's like last year all over again. They (Kenny, the media...) told us how awesome our top-of-the-order was going to be with Podsednik and Erstad. Speed and a guy who can handle the bat? OMGz teh awesome!!!!1 Hell -- IIRC -- you had the pro-Erstad people telling the anti-Erstad people after April -- after Erstad had put up an amazing .313 OBP -- how wrong they were.

Yeah -- that turned out well.

It's an embarrassment that we actually have to discuss whether Jerry f***ing Owens is going to be starting.

You can throw all the stats around you want. They have been successful with it and will continue to do so. Many teams would die for a World Series title (especially 80 some years in the making) and only one losing season in the last 7 years.

Don't get caught up in the stats and minutia and forget the results. This team has been successful until last year. Now if they run a couple of losing seasons together then you have a case.

We'll see if it's last year over again. Who cares what the individual stats are (unless fantasy baseball is more important) Wins and loses are all that matters in the end.

This is how guys like David Eckstein look awful when examining stats but somehow are starting shortstops on WS winning teams and win MVP awards. The games are not judged by individual stats. The season is determined by the numbers of wins and loses which are determined by the integration of all the parts. Sometimes the role players add up to more than the sum of their individual stats.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 09:56 PM)
I'm not saying not to be excited about Quentin being a good player. Hell, I am. I just think some people need to temper their enthusiasm a bit. They're acting like Quentin is already a fringe All-Star player from his first ABs with the Sox. When in reality he's going to need time and patience.

No, but he's better than Brian Anderson a ton, and will out produce Jerry Owens this season as well. He's a top talent and if you've seen him at all you should recognize that.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 02:18 AM)
So folks, yes or no, is Brian worthy of a spot in the Sox outfield if he keeps

hitting all spring?

Do you think he's getting a serious look?

He's pulled this "I can hit in spring training" charade before. He really doesnt have much of a spot in this OF. He should be in AAA where he can come up when Dye gets hurt.

Hmmm.

Maybe Quentin's not as healthy as they are reporting.

Then he wouldn't be playing.

Because of soreness in his surgically repaired left shoulder, Carlos Quentin will take the next couple of days off.

"This kid is going to be here for good and I think he was creating bad habits with his swing and it led to some soreness, but he'll be fine," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "If it was the start of the season, he could play. But rather than have him push it and lose one more week, we are holding him back. I think it's the best for him." Quentin appears to be battling Jerry Owens for a starting job in the White Sox outfield.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
This is how guys like David Eckstein look awful when examining stats but somehow are starting shortstops on WS winning teams and win MVP awards.

And that's why teams were lining up to give Eckstein that giant contract, right?

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 10:05 PM)
The games are not judged by individual stats. The season is determined by the numbers of wins and loses which are determined by the integration of all the parts. Sometimes the role players add up to more than the sum of their individual stats.

This is akin to saying that a pitcher's value is based entirely on his win-loss record and "intangibles."

QUOTE(almagest @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:29 PM)
And that's why teams were lining up to give Eckstein that giant contract, right?

This is akin to saying that a pitcher's value is based entirely on his win-loss record and "intangibles."

Eckstein is pst his prime. As I recall he won a world series with Anaheim then the Cardinals acquired him and he won a world series there also. Sounds like he was wanted to me.

That true with pitchers. Who cares if they win or lose. All that matters if they pitch well. That's the problem with many pitchers today. Who the hell cares if the team wins or loses all that matters is that my stats look good. I need my "quality start" If I pitch 6 innings and give up 3 or fewer runs I did my job. That is the attitude that drove me crazy with Garland, he said this many times. Wins and loses doesn't necessarily tell you how well he pitched but it does tell you if the team won or lost when he pitches. A team doesn't go to the playoffs with a pitcxher with a low ERA or high stirkeout to walk ratio. They go if the team wins regarless of individual stats.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 08:47 AM)
He's pulled this "I can hit in spring training" charade before. He really doesnt have much of a spot in this OF. He should be in AAA where he can come up when Dye gets hurt.

If he can carry it over, he's a heck of a backup option.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
If he can carry it over, he's a heck of a backup option.

I would rather him get at bats at AAA and continue the trend and bring him up when the injury bug hits. Thome and Dye are going to be hurt this season, we need guys in AAA who can be brought up and compete.

Eckstein is pst his prime. As I recall he won a world series with Anaheim then the Cardinals acquired him and he won a world series there also. Sounds like he was wanted to me.

Oh please. He's 17 months removed from his WS MVP award that you already mentioned, and had a better year in 2007 than 2006. He was looking for a Julio Lugo type deal and didn't get it. How does an increase in his numbers = past his prime, which you used in response to why nobody wanted him, but then you say he was wanted.

Quit being foolish.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 2, 2008 -> 11:04 PM)
I never thought Jerry Owens versus Brian Anderson would be such a divisive issue. Its like getting to spin the wheel of torture to chose your own death. In the big picture, neither are really that good at what is important ... playing baseball.

DFA Anderson and sent Owens to the Curtis/Tom Goodwin/Lou Frazier/Omar Moreno purgatory and lets start the season.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
Oh please. He's 17 months removed from his WS MVP award that you already mentioned, and had a better year in 2007 than 2006. Quit being foolish.

Who's being foolish? Back injuries cause problems in a hurry.

My only point is GM's and managers build a team with a purpose and most of them like the "pesky" hitter such as Eckstein or the "speed" guy such as Pods at the top of the lineup. Many people here don't like it but these players can be effective. More often than not winning teams are built this way. Of course it doesn't always work no plans ever do, but most winning teams are built along this philosophy.

What puzzles me is why so many are so quick to say Owens sucks, Anderson sucks or Quentin is the guy. It would be great for all 3 to become bonafide major leaguers so it becomes extremely difficult for management to make a decision on who starts. Owens , in my rose colored eyes, seems to be capable of becoming a .300+ hitter , .340+ OBP and with the extra 10 lbs. maybe 30-35 doubles and 50+ steals. Quentin had great minors numbers but seems to be a guy who crowds the plate and gets hurt because of it. Certainly he has the most potential , already being a superior defender, but doesnt seem to be at 100% physically. Anderson is deserving of another chance and seems to be getting it. It'll all play out on the field and its fun watching the competition.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)

That true with pitchers. Who cares if they win or lose. All that matters if they pitch well. That's the problem with many pitchers today. Who the hell cares if the team wins or loses all that matters is that my stats look good. I need my "quality start" If I pitch 6 innings and give up 3 or fewer runs I did my job. That is the attitude that drove me crazy with Garland, he said this many times. Wins and loses doesn't necessarily tell you how well he pitched but it does tell you if the team won or lost when he pitches.

Run support and bullpen pitching prowess are things a starting pitcher cannot control. All a starter can do is keep his team in the game, and pitch to the best of his ability. What's so bad about Garland saying this?

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)
A team doesn't go to the playoffs with a pitcxher with a low ERA or high stirkeout to walk ratio. They go if the team wins regarless of individual stats.

Show an example of a team that went to the playoffs without pitchers possessing these qualities, then.

QUOTE(ptatc @ Mar 5, 2008 -> 05:49 PM)
Who's being foolish? Back injuries cause problems in a hurry.

My only point is GM's and managers build a team with a purpose and most of them like the "pesky" hitter such as Eckstein or the "speed" guy such as Pods at the top of the lineup. Many people here don't like it but these players can be effective. More often than not winning teams are built this way. Of course it doesn't always work no plans ever do, but most winning teams are built along this philosophy.

Like which teams?

Edited by almagest