So Brian Anderson's hitting...

Steve9347

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
I don't necessarily hope Owens stays injured, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the future of this franchise if he did and Anderson become a legitimate CFer.

Would it be silly for me to say that if Owens and Dye get somewhat injured, that the Swish-BA-Quentin (would be one of the best D in baseball) would probably not help our "playoff chances", but would save our future of seeing BA and Quentin develop?

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, unless your name is Jordan4life (me, of course), Heads, Tony, Wite, Kalapse, Yasny, Dbaho and I believe I'm forgetting a couple other people, you are not allowed to jump on the Brian Anderson bandwagon. This entire board has killed him the last couple years. Only a select few supported him through thick and thin. Of course, It's only spring training. But I've got a strong feeling Brian is going to make a lot of folks eat that crow.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
Would it be silly for me to say that if Owens and Dye get somewhat injured, that the Swish-BA-Quentin (would be one of the best D in baseball) would probably not help our "playoff chances", but would save our future of seeing BA and Quentin develop?

I dunno, 80 home runs, lotta OPS, solid defense from that OF? Seems good all around. That's if Quentin can stay healthy though.

If somehow all these OF's came around, and Owens could come up with a .350+ OBP and stay healthy, then suddenly, we're in a position of strength, and we're able to move 2 of Dye, Thome, and Konerko, save a boatload of money in the process, move 1 of them to DH and keep them healthier, and maybe even get better as we get a bit younger, faster, and play better defense.

Funny how a couple weeks of good ball vs. mainly crap pitching can now turn Brian Anderson from trash (which I still stand by that he is) to the "awesomest" player of all time. Unless Anderson did a major overhaul with his stance, approach at plate, and swing in general, he will stand no chance, once again, in the majors.

QUOTE(Jordan4life @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
For the record, unless your name is Jordan4life (me, of course), Heads, Tony, Wite, Kalapse, Yasny, Dbaho and I believe I'm forgetting a couple other people, you are not allowed to jump on the Brian Anderson bandwagon. This entire board has killed him the last couple years. Only a select few supported him through thick and thin. Of course, It's only spring training. But I've got a strong feeling Brian is going to make a lot of folks eat that crow.

You should go back to my post then bro. I think SoxFan1, Greasy, WH (maybe Pratt) also.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
Just curious, say Anderson gets the CF job, who do people envision hitting leadoff? Cabrera-Swisher at 1-2 would be fine with me if BA turns the corner this year, which is really the best case scenario for this year.

I'd go Swisher-Cabrera...which is my hoped for lineup regardless. If BA is in CF, then it'll be Swish-BA-Dye. If BA isn't, it should be Quentin-BA-Dye.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:05 PM)
I dunno, 80 home runs, lotta OPS, solid defense from that OF? Seems good all around. That's if Quentin can stay healthy though.

If somehow all these OF's came around, and Owens could come up with a .350+ OBP and stay healthy, then suddenly, we're in a position of strength, and we're able to move 2 of Dye, Thome, and Konerko, save a boatload of money in the process, move 1 of them to DH and keep them healthier, and maybe even get better as we get a bit younger, faster, and play better defense.

s***, I'm just expecting that from BA now. :P

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 06:10 PM)
You should go back to my post then bro. I think SoxFan1, Greasy, WH (maybe Pratt) also.

I've wanted Brian Anderson to be the guy we all thought he would be since ST of 2006. I'm still rooting for him now and I hope he gets it together and plays awesome and has a breakout year. We know he'll give us great defense, now he's just got to keep hitting.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)
Funny how a couple weeks of good ball vs. mainly crap pitching can now turn Brian Anderson from trash (which I still stand by that he is) to the "awesomest" player of all time. Unless Anderson did a major overhaul with his stance, approach at plate, and swing in general, he will stand no chance, once again, in the majors.

He's been starting almost every game. It's not like he's coming in after the 7th inning to face the scrubs. He's a first round draft pick, we traded Rowand and Young to make room for him, and he's also put up a solid .293/.361/.474 line throughout his minor league career. He's obviously got some talent. If he can play good defense for us and have an OPS of around .800, he's basically Torii Hunter. What's wrong with giving him one last shot to see if he can realize that potential, especially since he's playing so well right now?

QUOTE(Jordan4life @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)

Anderson is another one of my guys. Uribe, Contreras, Crede, I take everyone's trash, except Gavin Floyd.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:06 PM)

But Ryan Sweeney is going to be a star!

QUOTE(KevinM @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
But Ryan Sweeney is going to be a star!

His approach to plate and swing are about 10,000x better then Anderson's. However, Sweeney needs to really build up his wrist and forearm muscles. He needs to get that bat around much quicker.

QUOTE(almagest @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:55 PM)
He's been starting almost every game. It's not like he's coming in after the 7th inning to face the scrubs. He's a first round draft pick, we traded Rowand and Young to make room for him, and he's also put up a solid .293/.361/.474 line throughout his minor league career. He's obviously got some talent. If he can play good defense for us and have an OPS of around .800, he's basically Torii Hunter. What's wrong with giving him one last shot to see if he can realize that potential, especially since he's playing so well right now?

So what... Every player has hot streaks, even ones with as weak of a stick as Anderson's. I am not arguing not to give him another chance, all I am saying is that he sucks and will NEVER ever do anything in the majors. Maybe he will be a 4th OF defensive replacement type of bench player in the majors, but that is all.

He spent the offseason, he said, trying to focus on the mental side of baseball. He came to Spring Training with a stronger mental approach to everything.

Judging from the cerebral capacity he has shown in his stints in Chicago, changing his mental approach probably took about 5 seconds.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)
So what... Every player has hot streaks, even ones with as weak of a stick as Anderson's. I am not arguing not to give him another chance, all I am saying is that he sucks and will NEVER ever do anything in the majors. Maybe he will be a 4th OF defensive replacement type of bench player in the majors, but that is all.

An .835 career OPS over 1136 minor league at-bats is a "hot streak"? Sounds like you're just as biased as the people who feel he's the "awesomest player of all time."

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:13 PM)

Were you sleeping through July-August of 2006? You talk about him like he's Jerry Owens or something.