So Brian Anderson's hitting...

Steve9347

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
If the Sox win 90 games, and Anderson still preforms like a egotistical amatuer, he still gets replaced in 2007. The Sox record has nothing to do with that. Kenny goes out and replaces parts that need fixing. Anderson couldn't handle CF like a major leaguer in 2006, so the Sox had to resort to Darin Erstad in 2007. The failure of Erstad on top of the failure of Anderson led to the Sox flushing their minor leagues for Quinten and Swisher. The one constant in that trend is that if Brian Anderson could have stepped to the plate, none of the next steps would have happened. That is the first domino in that line. I would call requiring the Sox to aquire all of those OFs screwing up the Sox. I would much rather have Anderson playing at his earlier potential, along with Chris Carter, Gio Gonzalez, Faustino De Los Santos, and Ryan Sweeney still in our system.

It's slightly pathetic how many outfielders we've had started regularly since 2004, or could be starting this year. Ordonez, Lee, Borchard, Everett, Rowand, Podsednik, Dye, Anderson, Erstad, Owens, Sweeney, Swisher, Quinten. 13 outfielders in 4+ years, and I'm probably forgetting someone that had a significant amount of starts in the past 4 years.

Besides having that many starting outfielders, this team has made some pretty dumb moves. Trading Jeremy Reed instead of Joe Borchard, even though Reed isn't doing much right how, he was still better than Borchard. Keeping Anderson and giving up Chris Young has also been a slap in the face.

Edited by WilliamTell

So are there some here that are just really against one of these 3 guys being the starter? I mean I have my pick on who I like, but I'm not against one of the others if they are out performing. It seems some here are totally against Owens, Anderson or Quentin regardless how they perform? Is that the case for some of you?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
If the Sox win 90 games, and Anderson still preforms like a egotistical amatuer, he still gets replaced in 2007. The Sox record has nothing to do with that. Kenny goes out and replaces parts that need fixing. Anderson couldn't handle CF like a major leaguer in 2006, so the Sox had to resort to Darin Erstad in 2007. The failure of Erstad on top of the failure of Anderson led to the Sox flushing their minor leagues for Quinten and Swisher. The one constant in that trend is that if Brian Anderson could have stepped to the plate, none of the next steps would have happened. That is the first domino in that line. I would call requiring the Sox to aquire all of those OFs screwing up the Sox. I would much rather have Anderson playing at his earlier potential, along with Chris Carter, Gio Gonzalez, Faustino De Los Santos, and Ryan Sweeney still in our system.

Wouldn't the Sox having to go get Quentin, Pods fault? Anderson was/is a CF and Quentin certainly doesn't play that position. But I suppose if Ozzie or KW rip a player, everything is their fault.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:11 AM)
So are there some here that are just really against one of these 3 guys being the starter? I mean I have my pick on who I like, but I'm not against one of the others if they are out performing. It seems some here are totally against Owens, Anderson or Quentin regardless how they perform? Is that the case for some of you?

I have always supported BA even when 90% of this forum counted him out- the kid has a ton of talent and it has to breakthrough if he's committed as much as he appears to be this year. I even think he has an opportunity to be an all-star someday, believe it or not.

In any event, unless we DL Quentin or Owens, BA doesn't have a prayer to make this team. I just wish Crede was having a spring like BA so we could get something of value from him as well, but we've made our bed now we have to sleep in it.

Trade Crede for sure, perhaps let BA stick around until we get a good offer or bring him up if someone gets hurt.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)

Perform in st, you mean? In that case, yes, I'd be totally against Owens starting over Anderson. It's not that I have anything against Owens, but his ceiling is much lower than Anderson's. For the Sox to compete this year, a lot of things have to break right, and Anderson breaking right would contribute a lot more than Owens breaking right. I don't believe Owens, at his best, is much more than adequate. Not to mention that a productive Anderson would be better for the years ahead.

Not that I think it has any chance of happening, just saying. Also, if Quentin were healthy, then I'd have a problem with him being benched, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I have to say I agree with DA on this one. What happened in 06' was certainly not Brian's fault. And if you want to blame bringing in Erstad on Brian, you should blame it on Kenny, because Brian came to play last spring, beat out Erstad, and then was still not given any real role on the major league club.

While Brian didn't exactly hold up his end of the deal offensively in 06', I really think all in all, defensive production included, Brian played pretty much how one would expect a rookie to play in his first mlb action. Why it was deemed that he shouldn't play last year and instead was replaced by Erstad is the fault of two people, mainly: Ozzie and Kenny.

I am a big supporter of most people in our organization, but if anyone screwed up the center field position, it was Ozzie and Kenny. We basically have a GG cf in our organization, who needs to learn to hit mlb pitching just like any other young kid. Instead of giving him that chance last year, when it was highly unlikely him learning on the job would really affect the mlb club, they took that away from him and set him back god knows how far.

But for those who want to dwell on what's happened in the past and hold grudges, what sense does it make to not put the players who've earned the chance to play out there everyday? What sense does it make to take any chance of Brian becoming the player everyone thought he could be away from him because of what happened in 06' and 07'? Should he not play now because Quentin was brought in, even if Brian is clearly the better choice right now?

If Brian is best-suited to play right now, he should be the OD cf starter, end of story.

We can figure out how best to fit in Quentin when he becomes healthy.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:11 AM)

I think the Sox should give the starting job to whoever, out of the three, performs the best this spring. Like an open competition. But I'm sure thats a stupid idea.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
So if Quentin, Owens and or Swisher are just as successful if not more than the names you mentioned, remember you said Brian Anderson screwed up the White Sox. And if they all perform great, maybe you change your mind and say Brian Anderson fixed the White Sox. You probably also blame him for the economy, 9/11 and so on. You talk out of both sides of your mouth because you think KW does no wrong. You say Kenny goes out and replaces parts that need fixing, so the Sox had to resort to Darin Erstad. Appears he replaced a part that needed fixing with another part that was beyond fixing. What screwed up the Sox was trying to fix holes with guys who were worse. See the bullpen. KW could have kept the prospects if he wanted to shell out more money, but once again, he misread the market. His market correction never occurred/

To be honest, if Anderson has his head out of his ass, I have said for two years now that he is our best option in CF. But I can also understand that Brian Anderson's meltdown has put this team behind the eight ball. I don't see how that is mutally exclusive, or means that Kenny Williams can do no wrong, but OK, have fun with the hyperbole. I am not quite sure how Williams is supposed to handle his players failing. Does he not do anything because he picked them up in the first place? Besides, if Anderson was the answer all along, why should Williams have gone out and paid a lot of money for another CF in free agency. That is talking out of both sides of your mouth. Then again, so would be critisizing Williams for the Linebrink signing when you called him cheap for not dipping into FA to fix our problems.

Obviously Erstad wasn't the answer, so that means Williams screwed that up. He also screwed up by thinking Anderson was ready to be a major league CF. I guess that makes me a guy who thinks KW can do no wrong :lol:

Wanna hear about a guy screwing up an organization. Jon Garland was a nice chip that had to be traded for a guy because the guy making $4M+ can't do his job. Why the bus has never even set it's sites on Uribe while the league minumum rookie is costing the Sox seasons is yet another example of a double standard on this team. Partying with the "honies" is worse than spending a winter going to court and having the team wonder if the SS would be in prison, the buffet line or starting.

Thinking of last spring really ticks me off. Anderson is the best defensive CF and because he was about as productive as Juan Uribe considering the $$$ invested he is crushed with the bus.

I will point out again that I not joking when I say this organization puts winter ball ahead of spring training (see Nick Masset in Mexico, the Venazuela uprising, Anderson winter 2006, 2007 & 2008, and Joey Cora v. Jerry Owens) and hte fact that last spring the regular hitters were gettting all of their at-bats and pitching in B games or at various Tucson Park District Leagues.

2005 lead this organaztion to beleive they are smarter then they really are.

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:50 AM)
Anderson probably deserves the starting CF job but I just don't like the idea of O-Cab or Swish leading off. Though call here.

i agree. sure BA might be the better player, etc but then we become really right handed and dont have a legit leadoff/speed guy. i dont think we should get rid of BA though, if we're going to get garbage in return. if we're out of the race in july, trade dye.

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
i agree. sure BA might be the better player, etc but then we become really right handed and dont have a legit leadoff/speed guy. i dont think we should get rid of BA though, if we're going to get garbage in return. if we're out of the race in july, trade dye.

who's the lead-off guy then? I know Owens has a ton of speed, but his OBP last year was bad. I would feel comfortable with him this Spring if I hear that he is doing a better job taking pitches and getting on base. Having a guy who is going to create a ton of outs from the leadoff spot does this team no good.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)

Dye has a NTC for this season I believe.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:50 AM)
To be honest, if Anderson has his head out of his ass, I have said for two years now that he is our best option in CF. But I can also understand that Brian Anderson's meltdown has put this team behind the eight ball. I don't see how that is mutally exclusive, or means that Kenny Williams can do no wrong, but OK, have fun with the hyperbole. I am not quite sure how Williams is supposed to handle his players failing. Does he not do anything because he picked them up in the first place? Besides, if Anderson was the answer all along, why should Williams have gone out and paid a lot of money for another CF in free agency. That is talking out of both sides of your mouth. Then again, so would be critisizing Williams for the Linebrink signing when you called him cheap for not dipping into FA to fix our problems.

Obviously Erstad wasn't the answer, so that means Williams screwed that up. He also screwed up by thinking Anderson was ready to be a major league CF. I guess that makes me a guy who thinks KW can do no wrong :lol:

Why was it not Pod's fault that Quentin was acquired? Why was it not Erstad's or Owens' fault that KW had to pay the price for Swisher, or why wasn't it KW's fault for not properly assessing how certain players would perform? Ultimately, it comes down to the boss. If you don't like the current state of the team, he is who you should blame, not some guy who had 17 major league at bats last season. It makes absolutely no sense that BA's inability to hit made KW get 2 guys at least one of which maybe both won't even play the same position.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
Why was it not Pod's fault that Quentin was acquired? Why was it not Erstad's or Owens' fault that KW had to pay the price for Swisher, or why wasn't it KW's fault for not properly assessing how certain players would perform? Ultimately, it comes down to the boss. If you don't like the current state of the team, he is who you should blame, not some guy who had 17 major league at bats last season. It makes absolutely no sense that BA's inability to hit made KW get 2 guys at least one of which maybe both won't even play the same position.

I think that is the difference between you and me. I am going to blame the guys on the field, for on the field preformance. If Brian Anderson fails, it is Brian Anderson's fault. What happens off of the field, I blame on Kenny, Ozzie, and/or Jerry. I still say if Anderson was half as good in CF Kenny would have never had to try to fix CF in the first place.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:44 AM)
I think that is the difference between you and me. I am going to blame the guys on the field, for on the field preformance. If Brian Anderson fails, it is Brian Anderson's fault. What happens off of the field, I blame on Kenny, Ozzie, and/or Jerry. I still say if Anderson was half as good in CF Kenny would have never had to try to fix CF in the first place.

But you're not. You pick and choose. Anderson not hitting shouldn't force KW to go get 2 OF. He got Erstad. Erstad failed. Owens apparently failed. Pods failed, yet you blame it all on Brian Anderson. If you're going to blame players, don't blame the ones that don't play. You blame BA for "forcing" KW to trade Carter. Last I checked Quentin doesn't play CF.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:00 PM)
Bruce Levine indicated today the Sox are looking to trade Brian Anderson, and the Cubs are actually interested.

I figured as much

San Diego still seems to be a good place.

If the Cubs really want him badly enough, who do you ask for?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
But you're not. You pick and choose. Anderson not hitting shouldn't force KW to go get 2 OF. He got Erstad. Erstad failed. Owens apparently failed. Pods failed, yet you blame it all on Brian Anderson. If you're going to blame players, don't blame the ones that don't play. You blame BA for "forcing" KW to trade Carter. Last I checked Quentin doesn't play CF.

Owens has yet to succeed or fail.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)

Its not a big in depth thing.

Player fails

GM has to take action to cover failing player

If Anderson could play CF like a major leaguer in 2006, we wouldn't be talking about Erstad, Owens, Quinten, Swisher, and the rest of them. Brian Anderson's failure as a major league CF forced Kenny Williams into action.

If you can't understand the logic there, there isn't much point in continuing.