So Brian Anderson's hitting...

Steve9347

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
Owens has yet to succeed or fail.

You're making my point. Anderson has about the same playing time, and he was blamed for the Sox ridding themselves of all their prospects. So if BA made the Sox go get Erstad, Owens must be partially responsible for the Sox having to trade a lot away for Swisher.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:09 PM)
You're making my point. Anderson has about the same playing time, and he was blamed for the Sox ridding themselves of all their prospects.

I wasn't trying to make or break the point about Anderson - just saying Owens hasn't gotten the chance to show his true value yet. I'd suggest Anderson, starting for most of a season, got more of a shot than Owens has had. And unlike Owens, Mr. Anderson managed to piss off management with his attitude. That in combination with his poor performance (far worse than Owens') caused KW to go get Erstad, basically.

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
How about Neil Cotts and Shingo? Maybe Jeff Samarjia (spell?)

Cotts put up a 4.83 ERA and a 1.45 ERA in AAA Iowa for the Cubs last year, and those numbers were virtually identical to his big league numbers last year as well (that says something both about Neal Cotts and about the quality of the NL Central).

I for one really don't want to see the team trade Anderson now.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
Cotts put up a 4.83 ERA and a 1.45 ERA in AAA Iowa for the Cubs last year, and those numbers were virtually identical to his big league numbers last year as well (that says something both about Neal Cotts and about the quality of the NL Central).

I for one really don't want to see the team trade Anderson now.

I want to see Anderson get a chance to start for the big league club. It's amazing the excuses that have been made for the likes of Contreras and Crede regarding injuries the past few years, but people seem to forget that Anderson's wrist was really messed up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
I want to see Anderson get a chance to start for the big league club. It's amazing the excuses that have been made for the likes of Contreras and Crede regarding injuries the past few years, but people seem to forget that Anderson's wrist was really messed up.

his wrist was injured in '06?

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)

He gets hurt every year. He hurt his wrist, had rotator cuff tendonitis and a concussion all in 2007. I want to say he had some wrist issues in '06 though. If not, I do believe he missed some time, but I may be thinking of 05.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
He gets hurt every year. He hurt his wrist, had rotator cuff tendonitis and a concussion all in 2007. I want to say he had some wrist issues in '06 though. If not, I do believe he missed some time, but I may be thinking of 05.

Although he was benched constantly in 06, there was never more than a day or two where the reason for it was explained as an injury. It was that Mackowiak = wins.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:08 PM)
Its not a big in depth thing.

Player fails

GM has to take action to cover failing player

If Anderson could play CF like a major leaguer in 2006, we wouldn't be talking about Erstad, Owens, Quinten, Swisher, and the rest of them. Brian Anderson's failure as a major league CF forced Kenny Williams into action.

If you can't understand the logic there, there isn't much point in continuing.

The flaw in your logic is KW has yet to get a CF. Of the players you mentioned

Erstad was brought to be a fourth outfielder but his wondeful spring with that of the Prancer buried Anderson after Anderson won a job. Thus Erstad, the ultimate Grinder, plays just long enough to kill Anderson's season (19 AB in a month will do wonders for a young player) and render 2007 a disaster becasue of flawed KW logic on the player he brought in and handed a job to. Erstad played until the end May and did little to produce.

Quintin is not a CF.

Swisher is not a CF but he may be more equipped to do so than Mackowiak....

Owens can run and therefore is needed to get on base once a game and steal and maybe even score a run. The fact that he is no better a CF than Swisher is beside the point.

If this team had a game plan that they truely believed in like they preach (pitching and defense) Anderson would have started last year and played just about every day in 2006.

Anderson was no worse in 2006 than a majority of other rookies and did what was asked of him, played great defense. Which with statues in leftand right was really needed.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
I still don't consider Owens anything more than a LF, and would have had no problem with him being an option there. I just don't like it when your CF has to two hop it to the cutoff man.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen him make any throws from the OF this spring? Owens was also supposedly dealing with a minor shoulder issue last year.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)

Erstad was brought to be a fourth outfielder but his wondeful spring with that of the Prancer buried Anderson after Anderson won a job. Thus Erstad, the ultimate Grinder, plays just long enough to kill Anderson's season (19 AB in a month will do wonders for a young player) and render 2007 a disaster becasue of flawed KW logic on the player he brought in and handed a job to. Erstad played until the end May and did little to produce.

Quintin is not a CF.

Erstad was brought here to start, end of story.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Speaking of which, has anyone seen him make any throws from the OF this spring? Owens was also supposedly dealing with a minor shoulder issue last year.

Levine did say Anderson's arm has been amazing so far.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)

I have yet to see the Sox play, but the book on him throughout the minors was that he was a LF, due to the lack of great fielding ability and arm. So, if there was an injury, it's either been there a long while or his arm is really that bad.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:34 PM)

He originally hurt it in college and had a minor surgical procedure after the sox drafted him. They weren't sure if he was going to need a more extensive procedure on it in the future. He obviously did.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:39 PM)

Quintin is not a CF.

Swisher is not a CF but he may be more equipped to do so than Mackowiak....

Owens can run and therefore is needed to get on base once a game and steal and maybe even score a run. The fact that he is no better a CF than Swisher is beside the point.

If this team had a game plan that they truely believed in like they preach (pitching and defense) Anderson would have started last year and played just about every day in 2006.

Anderson was no worse in 2006 than a majority of other rookies and did what was asked of him, played great defense. Which with statues in leftand right was really needed.

The other flaw in his "logic" is what would BA failing in CF have to do with acquiring a corner OF in Quentin? I think BA can be a very good player, but injuries should be a concern. He gets banged up a lot. At least we know one thing, if the Sox don't win 95 games this year, its Brian Anderson's fault.