League #2 Thread

I'm going to rule out Fridays and Saturdays and weekdays before 7 pm. Weekday nights are available March 11-13 (Tuesday to Thursday of next week), and Sunday mornings on March 16 and 23. Limiting the choices to those, what say ye?

I'd like for everyone to comment on this (unrealistic, but it's good to have goals), especially those who haven't said anything yet.

Still waiting on fattyguy78 to join. I pm'd him earlier today.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 04:55 PM)
I'm going to rule out Fridays and Saturdays and weekdays before 7 pm. Weekday nights are available March 11-13 (Tuesday to Thursday of next week), and Sunday mornings on March 16 and 23. Limiting the choices to those, what say ye?

I'd like for everyone to comment on this (unrealistic, but it's good to have goals), especially those who haven't said anything yet.

Still waiting on fattyguy78 to join. I pm'd him earlier today.

I think any of those times should be fine with me, I kinda liked the morning of the 23rd but whatever works for the majority.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 06:57 PM)
How about next Thursday at 8 PM? I'm gonna need at least a week to prepare. I mean, I already know that I'm drafting Tim Lincecum, but I'm gonna have to come up with a list of guys who'll be able to mesh well with Tim for team chemistry purposes.

And Pedro, right? Get back on the horse, hh.

I can't guarantee any specific time. I just saw that some evening times were available.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 6, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
And Pedro, right? Get back on the horse, hh.

I can't guarantee any specific time. I just saw that some evening times were available.

If Fridays and Saturdays are out the next best for me would be Sunday. I have activities with the kids most weekday evenings. If it has to be a weekday evening I will do my best to make it.

Tuesday nights are a no-go for me. I have class from 6-9, but then again, I sit on my laptop during class. Thursday nights would be a good time, Sundays are good, but I sleep in, so probably nothing before like 1 PM ET. Thursday the 13th would be fine.

So, fattyguy78, is White Sox Stompers your team? I just want to make sure that you are the one who signed up.

Okay, some times opened up the next week, so I changed the time to Thursday, March 20, at 9:30 pm Chicago time. Looking over the responses, it seems most people could at least make a weeknight time, as long as it's late enough, and enough had trouble with a Sunday morning to make the change worthwhile. So it looks like we're almost set.

One more thing -- I wanted to ask about some possible rule changes, to see how people feel. I'll probably type up what I was thinking about tomorrow or Tuesday.

About the rules:

A couple years ago, there was some anger over someone constantly dropping/adding ("streaming") pitchers. The rule about the total number of transactions was changed to only allow 100 for the season. While that prevents someone from streaming the entire season, someone could potentially stream towards the end of the season, if he's saved his transactions until then.

Basically, I just want to avoid any hard feelings about this and state my position upfront. I'm not going to change the rules midseason if someone starts doing this. If we want to rule out streaming completely, we need to make the changes now, before the draft.

There are a couple ways to do this. The most extreme would be to change to weekly transactions. That would mean that transactions are only allowed at the end of the week -- after that, your choices for the week are set, so streaming would not be possible. It would also level the field as far as injury pickups. Right now, if a closer goes down, the first person to see the news can grab the setup guy immediately. Those who get the news 20 minutes later are out of luck. With weekly transactions, it will just depend on who has the higher waiver priority.

Another way would be to limit the number of weekly transactions. Pickups would still be first-come, first-served, but noone would be allowed to switch more than a handful of players each week. Although, I'm not sure what the 'right' limit would be.

As a minor thing, I was also thinking about changing the time on waivers to one day (from two). That seems enough, but it's not a big deal either way.

I haven't changed any of the rules yet, and unless there's strong support for a particular change, I'll leave things as they are. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Another way would be to limit the number of weekly transactions. Pickups would still be first-come, first-served, but noone would be allowed to switch more than a handful of players each week. Although, I'm not sure what the 'right' limit would be.

I think that a maximum of 3 weekly transactions would be reasonable.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 01:08 PM)
About the rules:

A couple years ago, there was some anger over someone constantly dropping/adding ("streaming") pitchers. The rule about the total number of transactions was changed to only allow 100 for the season. While that prevents someone from streaming the entire season, someone could potentially stream towards the end of the season, if he's saved his transactions until then.

Basically, I just want to avoid any hard feelings about this and state my position upfront. I'm not going to change the rules midseason if someone starts doing this. If we want to rule out streaming completely, we need to make the changes now, before the draft.

There are a couple ways to do this. The most extreme would be to change to weekly transactions. That would mean that transactions are only allowed at the end of the week -- after that, your choices for the week are set, so streaming would not be possible. It would also level the field as far as injury pickups. Right now, if a closer goes down, the first person to see the news can grab the setup guy immediately. Those who get the news 20 minutes later are out of luck. With weekly transactions, it will just depend on who has the higher waiver priority.

As a minor thing, I was also thinking about changing the time on waivers to one day (from two). That seems enough, but it's not a big deal either way.

I haven't changed any of the rules yet, and unless there's strong support for a particular change, I'll leave things as they are. Let me know your thoughts, thanks.

Lol I believe I complained about that last year. Ya know the streaming pitchers thing. 100 move maximum is good idea.

May I also suggest NO can't cut list? Seriously, how unfortunate would it be if a top player like David Wright or Pujols gets injured for the season, it would kinda suck to have to keep them on the roster, I certainly would like to drop that player if thats the case, that or just make it 2 DL spots.

THoughts?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
There's always that one coward who will add/drop wack SPs on a daily basis in order to win the accumulation categories (Ks, Ws). There is nothing worse than being in a playoff matchup with someone like that.

Limiting transactions on a weekly basis could help to curb that nonsense.

I agreee. The weekly limit sounds reasonable.

Another option is you could lock adds and drops when playoffs start and if someone wants to make a change it would only be if they have no DL spots left and need to make an add also if they need to take someone off DL.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
Another option is you could lock adds and drops when playoffs start and if someone wants to make a change it would only be if they have no DL spots left and need to make an add also if they need to take someone off DL.

s*** happens, though. I lost both Carl Crawford and Tim Lincecum during the playoffs last season*. Carl didn't go on the DL, and Tim got shelved without the NA designation, IIRC. That type of stuff occurs every year, though. We definitely need weekly transactions in the playoffs.

*I still would have gotten slammed by jackie, regardless. It was a monumental beatdown.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 11:06 PM)
s*** happens, though. I lost both Carl Crawford and Tim Lincecum during the playoffs last season*. Carl didn't go on the DL, and Tim got shelved without the NA designation, IIRC. That type of stuff occurs every year, though. We definitely need weekly transactions in the playoffs.

*I still would have gotten slammed by jackie, regardless. It was a monumental beatdown.

Damn right. :headbang :D

I don't like the idea of having different rules for the playoffs. It just seems somewhat arbitrary. Streaming in the playoffs doesn't seem any worse than streaming in weeks 21 and 22 in an effort to get into the playoffs.

(Actually, personally, I don't have any problem with streaming. But a LOT of people do, so...)

So, it SEEMS that most people would prefer to go to a weekly transaction limit, but NOT weekly transactions. Is that right?

Alright, I'm going to put in a weekly transaction limit of 5. Working out the season limit of 100 on a week-by-week basis, we'd have 4 transactions per week. Everyone seems pretty happy with the 100-move limit, so I didn't want to go below 4, since that would effectively lower the season limit. Considering knightni's concern, I thought 5 gave someone enough flexibility for a busy week (5 changes would mean almost 25% roster turnover in one week), but would pretty much cut off streaming (seeing as streamers would use about 3 each day).

Like I said, not everyone will be happy with this, it's too many for some and too few for others. It's a compromise. If you have strong objections, feel free to pm me, though barring an uprising it's unlikely I'll change it again. Thanks to everyone who gave input, and see y'all Thursday night.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 07:03 PM)
I just sent you a PM with a threat of great bodily harm. Check that out when you get a chance.

Is this one at least different from the last three? Because I don't think it's even physically possible to do that to a kidney.