Singleton Out, Stone In

quickman

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
Was Farmer ever listenable? I just hope he makes him shut up.

Aww, you just must not like 15-minute golf story tangents that have nothing to do with baseball. ;)

Congrats to Chris and welcome aboard, Steve! :cheers

my one problem with Farmer, and it is a HUGE problem, is his tendency to try and create and continue inside jokes that really arent funny. Chris never wanted to go along with them, it was painfully obvious. I suspect that Stone will lay the smackdown on what he feels is and is not appropriate

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
my one problem with Farmer, and it is a HUGE problem, is his tendency to try and create and continue inside jokes that really arent funny. Chris never wanted to go along with them, it was painfully obvious. I suspect that Stone will lay the smackdown on what he feels is and is not appropriate

He also thinks he is a genius and does not know how to speak Spanish nearly as well as he believes. He hazed Singleton for two years. It does not surprise me Chris went elsewhere so quickly. I think Chris needed another 2-3 years in AAA broadcasting before making the jump to national TV full time.

Edited by Pants Rowland

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 12:27 PM)
As a testiment to how good John Rooney was, he made Farmer tolerable, especially compared to the last few years.

Farmer will not be the big man in the booth anymore. He won't be able to talk down to Stone.

Stone was actually a very good baseball player, unlike Farmer.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
As a testiment to how good John Rooney was, he made Farmer tolerable, especially compared to the last few years.

I always liked Farmer as a color guy. As the main play-by-play guy? Meh. But as annoying as they can be at times, I couldn't imagine White Sox baseball without Farmer or Hawk.

This sounds like a win-win. Singleton has some talent, but I was never that fond of him. I'd rather listen to DJ's commentary. Glad to hear that he's taking a step up, though.

And even with Farmer still being somewhat out of place, Stone is one of the best color guys in baseball.

Stone will have Farmer's respect as a colleague. Stone was able to work with Harry when he was in decline. I'm sure Stone will be better able to have a professional partnership with Farmer. Farmer never gave Singleton a chance. Instead of helping the guy along, he seemed to go out of his way to make him look like an ass. I've lost a lot of respect for Farmer for that. I will also be getting gameday audio. I hope they have made the games down loadable so I can listen on the go instead of sitting by my computer.