Singleton Out, Stone In

quickman

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 08:23 AM)
Score reports just now that Singleton is going to Baseball Tonight. Stone doing radio analysis.

That Baseball Tonight would want a guy who can't speak in complete sentences, and has different pitches in his voice is very baffling.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 01:56 PM)
That didn't stop ESPN from hiring Michael Irvin.

I actually think Michael Irvin does a fairly good job, especially in his one-on-one interviews with current players. He's far better than I ever anticipated him being.

The story on Whitesox.com notes that he is fulfilling Singleton's one year contract for 2008. I hope this is going to be more permanent than a one year rental until Stone heads to the Cubs front office or back to the TV booth for Len Kaspar under the new ownership group.

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 12:44 PM)
The story on Whitesox.com notes that he is fulfilling Singleton's one year contract for 2008. I hope this is going to be more permanent than a one year rental until Stone heads to the Cubs front office or back to the TV booth for Len Kaspar under the new ownership group.

Even if it's just temporary, it does set us up to be able to retool anywhere we decide we need to next year. A lot probably depends on how much Stone wants to do.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 02:59 PM)
Stone's going to return to the organization that forced him out? :huh:

That depends on your interpretation of the organization. I consider Dusty Baker, his players, and the current ownership group the people who forced Stone out. Dusty and the players in question are gone and the ownership group will be changed in due time. The wild card is Hendry, who was also part of the problem. If he is retained as GM after the sale, it could be a big enough obstacle to keep Stone away. Otherwise, it is an entirely clean slate. With the Cubs/WGN/Wrigley myth creation and false nostalgia, I can see one of the first priorities of a lot of ownership groups being bringing Stoney back "home".

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 01:11 PM)
That depends on your interpretation of the organization. I consider Dusty Baker, his players, and the current ownership group the people who forced Stone out. Dusty and the players in question are gone and the ownership group will be changed in due time. The wild card is Hendry, who was also part of the problem. If he is retained as GM after the sale, it could be a big enough obstacle to keep Stone away. Otherwise, it is an entirely clean slate. With the Cubs/WGN/Wrigley myth creation and false nostalgia, I can see one of the first priorities of a lot of ownership groups being bringing Stoney back "home".

IIRC, Hendry and McFail were the ones who forced him out. I don't see Stone going back there if Hendry's still around. But if he's gone, I agree that there's a shot that he returns.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(spiderman @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 02:50 PM)
That Baseball Tonight would want a guy who can't speak in complete sentences, and has different pitches in his voice is very baffling.

You're talking about the same network that employs Lou Holtz to speak on the air. Nuff said.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 03:44 PM)
IIRC, Hendry and McFail were the ones who forced him out. I don't see Stone going back there if Hendry's still around. But if he's gone, I agree that there's a shot that he returns.

A neighbor of mine had a chance to speak to Stone off the record recently. The subject of the whole fiasco with Dusty came up and Stone's general opinion was that between Dusty, McPhail and Hendry, there weren't two testicles to go around. There is definitely not a lot of respect for Hendry there. People around baseball seem to love him. I suppose it helps that he has a ton of cash to work with and pay every free agent above list price.

QUOTE(Pants Rowland @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
A neighbor of mine had a chance to speak to Stone off the record recently. The subject of the whole fiasco with Dusty came up and Stone's general opinion was that between Dusty, McPhail and Hendry, there weren't two testicles to go around. There is definitely not a lot of respect for Hendry there. People around baseball seem to love him. I suppose it helps that he has a ton of cash to work with and pay every free agent above list price.

Maybe they made up. According to the Sun Times, Stone was having lunch with Hendry when Boyer called him about the job opening.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Mar 4, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
Sort of disappointed because I was hoping he would eventually get the TV job with Hawk.

I don't think this precludes that from happening at all. Might even increase the chances now that he's more directly in the White Sox team's camp.