Marty Booker, Brandon Lloyd sign with Bears

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
I always liked him when he was with the 49ers.... but he did do a dissapearing act with the Redskins where I thought he would become a good WR.

I have to imagine it would be tough being the teams 5th receiving option. He was behind Moss, Cooley, Portis, and Randle El in Washington.

QUOTE(MurcieOne @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
just dont expect him to catch anything over the middle... the guy short arms the ball when he feels the heat.

True but they don't need him to do that. That's what Booker's for. Lloyd and Hester are the deep threats.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Mar 7, 2008 -> 08:37 PM)
I have to imagine it would be tough being the teams 5th receiving option. He was behind Moss, Cooley, Portis, and Randle El in Washington.

Well if you do good in practice and show up in games when you have a chance.... your going to jump up in that depth chart. And Portis is a RB and Cooley is a TE so he isnt competing with them to get on the field. Its not like Randle El is a superstar or anything that he shouldnt have been able to climb past him and be the 2nd WR.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
He. f***ing. Ducked. Out. Of. The. Ball's. Way.

Great.

thats called not knowing where the other receivers are during the play. He thought it was going to someone behind him, which was the Lb's feet.

Lloyd was once thought of as one of the young/upcoming WR's in the NFL. He had shown great hands and solid athletism and had success early in San Francisco (even with suspect QB play). He than took some heat in San Fran for calling out the QB and was dealt to Washington where attitude issues again put him in the doghouse. The Redskins also had poor QB play and were a run first run often offense which had some other weapons utilized well before Lloyd (Moss/Cooley and eventually Randle El). This put Lloyd in a tough spot and given him rubbing the coaching staff the wrong way (which is his fault) he didn't get the opportunity to show anything and than got hurt this season.

We can only hope he learned that his attitude hurt him and that he'll have to temper himself and work hard and earn things. The Bears are thin at the WR spot and appear to be losing Davis (which I have no problem with because I don't think much of him). This means you have quite a few openings at the WR spot given that the top 3 from last year are likely gone.

Booker is a vet, should be good on 3rd downs and helpful. Lloyd is a guy with the speed to get open and make plays and has good hands. He's suspect over the middle and that will have to change (however, given Rex's play Lloyd could be a pretty good fit as Rex has the arm to make a lot of plays to the sidelines and that is where Lloyd excels).

Than there is Bradley/Hester who will be battling in there as well and get plenty of time, plus a draft pick. My guess is the Bears pass on WR in Rd 1 and take it in the 2nd, but again, you know they have 4 pretty key needs (WR/RB/Oline/QB). They technically have 4 picks in the first 3 rounds so the question is which rounds to they address the needs.

WR has no top notch sure things, but enough solid guys for the 1st 3 rounds (because of this, maybe you are better just waiting till the 3rd and taking whoever grades higher, since it seems like no one really knows, besides Sweed/Kelly, who the next guy is). RB is loaded with talent, I think this is a good spot in the 1st or 2nd (you have guys like Felix Jones, maybe even Jonathan Stewart given the depth that might be there in the 2nd round that typically would be gone top 20).

The Bears have done nothing on the RB front after indicating all off-season that they have little faith in Benson, which leads me to believe they feel pretty strongly about what they can get in an extremely deep RB pool. If you wait till the 3rd round you may really limit your chances at RB (yes good ones will be there, but you have potential pro-bowl type backs that could be there when you pick in the 2nd).

At the oline you know at 14 you can get yourself one of the best ones in a strong draft. Again, you can hold and grab a 1st round graded olineman in the 2nd round (given the depth). Williams from Vandy is the risky pick at 14 (less of a sure thing, more likely to be a total road blocker though).

Than there is QB, where if Flacco/Brohm are your guys you either have to go 1st rnd or 2nd round. Henne probably goes 2nd round but than there is a group of guys, including Justin Johnson (poor arm, hell of an athlete though) who you could grab in the latter rounds. Again, you also have Orton/Grossman who I think management believes in enough to consider passing and just taking a pure developmental pick (believing that one of these two above could be the guy) knowing that you have other more important needs (in the sense that a QB pick will not help you this year, while the other picks truly could help you win THIS YEAR).

Not that I like a WR afraid to go through the middle, with Booker, Olsen, and Clark, the Bears have plenty of guys for the middle of the field. That's even more true if the Bears run more two TE sets to get both guys on the field. Lloyd would be more of a sideline guy. If he doesn't work out, this is the definition of low-risk. In short, I like it.

They played a clip today on the score of Lloyd in a conference call saying how he was told Rex is the starter and the team still has a lot of faith in him and all that. LOL, the Bears caught in a lie once again, open competition my ass. Turner, of course, later came on that same conference call in which Lloyd said this and said Lloyd was mistaken and both QB's have a shot, but you know Lloyd was just caught telling the media what his former college coach told him. The Bears are just so damn stupid, and they then try and lie to us and expect us to believe it. Get ready for another year of Rex.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 8, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
They played a clip today on the score of Lloyd in a conference call saying how he was told Rex is the starter and the team still has a lot of faith in him and all that. LOL, the Bears caught in a lie once again, open competition my ass. Turner, of course, later came on that same conference call in which Lloyd said this and said Lloyd was mistaken and both QB's have a shot, but you know Lloyd was just caught telling the media what his former college coach told him. The Bears are just so damn stupid, and they then try and lie to us and expect us to believe it. Get ready for another year of Rex.

Out of those 2...if they both have good training camps, Rex gets the job. Orton would have to perform better by a non-trivial amount for me to anoint him the starter over Rex.