Mariotti on Stone/Sox

Hatchetman

Stone has constructive criticism,he is not a guy that is going to throw outlandish statements just to get the pot stirring.He is more of professional than Mariotti and knows where the line is of critical assessments and taking shots at someone.But Ozzie and KW tend to make asses of themselves somtimes so there is a possibility for a future confrontation but not likely.

Edited by shipps

The thing about Stone, his opinions are based upon his research and knowledge of the game. He is not one to spout off to be sensational like Jay does. I think Stone will be respected because more often than not, he will be speaking the truth and he does not have an ax to grind, he is speaking to educate the fans.

Mike North was all kinds of fired up about this, this morning. Not that I blame him, Mariotti loves to call anyone Reinsdorfs lackey if it fits the column.

It must be wonderful to loft bombs from a distance in Mariotti fashion, and never have to face who he criticizes

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)
Meh....just a chance for Marriotti to get in his digs against Jerry, Ozzie and the like.

Exactly...his hatred for the Sox organization just screams from all his articles, and this one is no different.

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)
Stone has constructive criticism,he is not a guy that is going to throw outlandish statements just to get the pot stirring.He is more of professional than Mariotti and knows where the line is of critical assessments and taking shots at someone.But Ozzie and KW tend to make asses of themselves somtimes so there is a possibility for a future confrontation but not likely.

That's the way I feel about it. He's not going to start taking cheap shots to stir the pot. I think any negative comments he makes will involve on the field performance/decisions. As a Sox fan I look forward to that

What a skumbag. This guy will never miss a chance to bad mouth the Sox. We could pick up A-rod and Johan and he would say how the Sox made a bad move and don't know how run the organization. What a joke this guy is.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
Now in about a day or so, Couch (Marriotti Jr.) will write a follow up article basically rehashing the same things his big brother piped up about.

Unfortunately, this is usually 100% true

i haven't seen the article yet (usually get to the paper over lunch) but upon reading the title of this thread , my first thought was that Jay took his column and made a long plea to the heavens above that before the year was over Stoney would replace Hawk in the booth. I would have bet money that that was the subject. Upon hearing of the jist of the article....don't you think that if Stone felt he was going to be pressured into being a 'yes' man for Jerry then he wouldn't have bothered taking the job????? Likewise...Stone is liked because he presents the numbers (good and bad) and tells it like it is..so if JR was looking for a 'yes' man...why would he think Stone would be that guy????? Isn't that what an interview is for.

Personally....I think it would be great to hear Stone's critique of the Sox through the good and bad times this year. He could easily fill those dead spots that Hawk leaves when the Sox hit that mid-summer 10 game losing streak and Hawk is pissed.........umm....not that the Sox will have a losing streak even half that long..lol

QUOTE(juddling @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 09:15 AM)
i haven't seen the article yet (usually get to the paper over lunch) but upon reading the title of this thread , my first thought was that Jay took his column and made a long plea to the heavens above that before the year was over Stoney would replace Hawk in the booth. I would have bet money that that was the subject. Upon hearing of the jist of the article....don't you think that if Stone felt he was going to be pressured into being a 'yes' man for Jerry then he wouldn't have bothered taking the job????? Likewise...Stone is liked because he presents the numbers (good and bad) and tells it like it is..so if JR was looking for a 'yes' man...why would he think Stone would be that guy????? Isn't that what an interview is for.

Personally....I think it would be great to hear Stone's critique of the Sox through the good and bad times this year. He could easily fill those dead spots that Hawk leaves when the Sox hit that mid-summer 10 game losing streak and Hawk is pissed.........umm....not that the Sox will have a losing streak even half that long..lol

^^^^^.

The Cubs fired one of, if not the best color man in baseball because he had the balls to criticize a team that was falling apart.

If the team struggles or can't play, or just sucks, or is a failure...let him be honest. I'd be vastly disappointed if we couldn't find a way for the organization to behave better than the Cubs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 10:20 AM)
^^^^^.

The Cubs fired one of, if not the best color man in baseball because he had the balls to criticize a team that was falling apart.

If the team struggles or can't play, or just sucks, or is a failure...let him be honest. I'd be vastly disappointed if we couldn't find a way for the organization to behave better than the Cubs.

He wasn't fired.

He was offered a contract extension and turned it down.

QUOTE(SoxWS05 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
What a skumbag. This guy will never miss a chance to bad mouth the Sox. We could pick up A-rod and Johan and he would say how the Sox made a bad move and don't know how run the organization. What a joke this guy is.

If the Sox did pick up those guys, half of this board would be saying the same thing. And have plenty of stats and financial projections to prove it. Then when Jay says it, it will be because he hates the Sox. :lolhitting

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 07:45 AM)
Now in about a day or so, Couch (Marriotti Jr.) will write a follow up article basically rehashing the same things his big brother piped up about.

that's funny you should say that - I sent Couch an email asking "what's the point" after his last re-hash. At least he responded, but his defense was weak.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 10, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
If the Sox did pick up those guys, half of this board would be saying the same thing. And have plenty of stats and financial projections to prove it. Then when Jay says it, it will be because he hates the Sox. :lolhitting

The problem is that Jay has lost all sense of objectivity towards the Sox, not that he has no right to criticize their moves.

Unfortunately, the Sun-Times is in such dire straights right now that they probably need Jay to write articles like this in the hopes of selling some papers.

Honestly, I didn't even read the article. Mariotti has written in Chicago for about 15 years. After 15 years it is obvious his disdain for the White Sox is not based on legitimate insights into baseball but essentially it is a personal vendetta against Reinsdorf, and people employed by Jerry Reinsdorf, KW, Ozzie & Hawk especially.

Kudos to the organization for hiring Steve Stone. Stone can provide excellent analysis and opinions on the White Sox. That is something Mariotti can only dream about as he continually attempts to marginalize the organization throughout the 08 season.

Greatest misconception in Chicago broadcasting: Steve Stone was typically critical of the Cubs when he was in the booth.

He wasn't.

He got into trouble with Mercker and the like in 2004 because those guys had very thin skin, and Baker and Stoney had a personal beef. But there were many, many years when Steve Stone was Cub shill and rooter all the way.

And Mariotti's a turd.