North v South

Texsox

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 11, 2008 -> 08:18 PM)
I think it is HIGHLY unfortunate that the deep south is still so racist. It's staggering the Black/White divide in the south. I am glad to see Obama win these mostly white states, but it kinda hurts to see him win these southern states with such a divide. Just goes to show that after nearly 143 years, there is still such rampid if not secret racism.

I saw way more racism in Chicago than I do in Texas. Boston is in a class(less) by themselves.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
Amazing how much hatred and misinformation there is for the south around here. You guys are so full of b.s. it isn't funny.

Amen. There's an arrogance that is pervasive in the north. There is certainly as much as if not more racism there than there is here in the south. And I've been in every southern state but South Carolina and Louisiana.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)
Amen. There's an arrogance that is pervasive in the north. There is certainly as much as if not more racism there than there is here in the south. And I've been in every southern state but South Carolina and Louisiana.

I would hope you don't actually think this. Well not so much that arrogance is pervasive in the north, because it is and we are proud of it, but I would just hope you don't actually believe there is as much if not more racism in the north, because that might be as ridiculous as it is inaccurate. And I've been in every southern state as well except for North and South Carolina.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:17 AM)
I would hope you don't actually think this. Well not so much that arrogance is pervasive in the north, because it is and we are proud of it, but I would just hope you don't actually believe there is as much if not more racism in the north, because that might be as ridiculous as it is inaccurate. And I've been in every southern state as well except for North and South Carolina.

Damn right I believe it. And that arrogance is not something to be proud of.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:20 PM)
Damn right I believe it. And that arrogance is not something to be proud of.

Well racism is all about the perspective of the viewee, so I will respectfully agree to disagree. I think both sides in such a debate can see it totally different and, in all honesty, be right in their own way.

However, if your saying southern people are just, in general much more kind and understanding whereas northerners are loud and arrogant, that I believe to be unquestionably right. That's just a general culture difference though, as the fact that I am proud of it makes obvious.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:22 AM)
Well racism is all about the perspective of the viewee, so I will respectfully agree to disagree. I think both sides in such a debate can see it totally different and, in all honesty, be right in their own way.

However, if your saying southern people are just, in general much more kind and understanding whereas northerners are loud and arrogant, that I believe to be unquestionably right. That's just a general culture difference though, as the fact that I am proud of it makes obvious.

Fine. We'll agree to disagree. But for the record, I have seen quite a few condescending remarks toward southern Americans on this sight. The type of remarks that you so called righteous and superior (that's the attitude I refering to) northerners would jump on your soapbox over if the same type of stereotypical remark was made against any of a number of minorities. I'll be more diligent about pointing them out in the future.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:29 PM)
Fine. We'll agree to disagree. But for the record, I have seen quite a few condescending remarks toward southern Americans on this sight. The type of remarks that you so called righteous and superior (that's the attitude I refering to) northerners would jump on your soapbox over if the same type of stereotypical remark was made against any of a number of minorities. I'll be more diligent about pointing them out in the future.

That's fine. I actually think southern people are generally MUCH kinder than us up here in the colder, siberian type regions. This, along with waffle houses, are two reasons I enjoy my time in the southland. I'm sure there are a lot of remarks made towards southerners around here though. I honestly don't really have any problems with the south.

Even in the case of standing by my accounts of race in the south, the south has really had much less time to improve it's racial relations than the north with the roots in the civil war and the 60's riots and such being most based in the south. So even in standing by what I said about it being more racist in the south, I would also counter my own statement by saying there has been tenfold more race relations improvement in the south than in the north since, say, 1970.

It wouldn't surprise me either if a generation from now, when i'm in my mid 40's, if the north is eventually more racist, because as the generations go by, the south is improving in this department moreso than the north. It's just right now I think what I think, in large part because the north had a huge head start going back generations to improve race relations. But maybe if I had clarified it in this way at the start, it wouldn't have hit a nerve with you, even if you disagree with me.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

With a more mobile population there is very little difference between the people living in the north and south. I can tell immediately if someone was raised in the north or south. The southern raised person will have more formal manners. They will address elders with a Mr. or Mrs. and say yes sir or yes man, hold doors and push in chairs.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:38 PM)
With a more mobile population there is very little difference between the people living in the north and south. I can tell immediately if someone was raised in the north or south. The southern raised person will have more formal manners. They will address elders with a Mr. or Mrs. and say yes sir or yes man, hold doors and push in chairs.

I think the population in Texas and Florida is very mobile, and very different from the rest of the south (especially in Florida). But in places like Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana, etc.......it's like a different world from the north.

Unless that person happens to be of the opposite race. Then they either just stare distrustingly or just cross the street to avoid then, if not worse things.

Edited by AngelasDaddy0427

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:33 PM)
That's fine. I actually think southern people are generally MUCH kinder than us up here in the colder, siberian type regions. This, along with waffle houses, are two reasons I enjoy my time in the southland. I'm sure there are a lot of remarks made towards southerners around here though. I honestly don't really have any problems with the south.

Even in the case of standing by my accounts of race in the south, the south has really had much less time to improve it's racial relations than the north with the roots in the civil war and the 60's riots and such being most based in the south. So even in standing by what I said about it being more racist in the south, I would also counter my own statement by saying there has been tenfold more race relations improvement in the south than in the north since, say, 1970.

It wouldn't surprise me either if a generation from now, when i'm in my mid 40's, if the north is eventually more racist, because as the generations go by, the south is improving in this department moreso than the north. It's just right now I think what I think, in large part because the north had a huge head start going back generations to improve race relations. But maybe if I had clarified it in this way at the start, it wouldn't have hit a nerve with you, even if you disagree with me.

You had me til Waffle House.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 12:40 PM)
I think the population in Texas and Florida is very mobile, and very different from the rest of the south (especially in Florida). But in places like Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Louisiana, etc.......it's like a different world from the north.

The north has been moving south for decades.

http://www.usnews.com/usnews/images/blogs/barone_flow.htm

For some recent numbers. The rust belt continues to decline and the sun belt continues to increase.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 11:33 AM)

Let me start out by saying that I don't mean this in a condescending way in any way. However, if you are in your mid-20's then there is no way you can have as much of a well rounded view of things as I do, with 25 or so years more of living life. Again, not intended to be demeaning or to say I don't respect your point of view. Personally, I don't buy your argument that the north had a huge head start in anything. That's what you were taught in your northern, liberal schools. And, before you jump in to say I don't know what I'm talking about regarding the schools, I spent my childhood in the Chicago burbs and went through the school system. In fact, I didn't realize the indoctrination that was occuring while I was in those schools, but was able to see it in retrospect. Believe me when I say that north did not welcome the former slaves with open arms. They were segregated from the start, and though there wasn't a George Wallace standing on the schoolhouse steps there were plenty of unhappy people in the area when forced busing was started. I know this for a fact because I lived through it. And yes, forced busing was the term that was used most often because that was the general concensus.

Now let me commend you for turning the tide on the direction this conversation was headed, because yes it did strike a nerve. Not much else I can because it did. That's something I also lived through in the Chicago area as I am the child of two Kentuckians. I heard it, felt it, experienced it and lived it.

Edited by YASNY

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
Let me start out by saying that I don't mean this in a condescending way in any way. However, if you are in your mid-20's then there is no way you can have as much of a well rounded view of things as I do, with 25 or so years more of living life. Again, not intended to be demeaning or to say I don't respect your point of view. Personally, I don't buy your argument that the north had a huge head start in anything. That's what you were taught in your northern, liberal schools. And, before you jump in to say I don't know what I'm talking about regarding the schools, I spent my childhood in the Chicago burbs and went through the school system. In fact, I didn't realize the indoctrination that was occuring while I was in those schools, but was able to see it in retrospect. Believe me when I say that north did not welcome the former slaves with open arms. They were segregated from the start, and though there wasn't a George Wallace standing on the schoolhouse steps there were plenty of unhappy people in the area when forced busing was started. I know this for a fact because I lived through it. And yes, forced busing was the term that was used most often because that was the general concensus.

Now let me commend you for turning the tide on the direction this conversation was headed, because yes it did strike a nerve. Not much else I can because it did. That's something I also lived through in the Chicago area as I am the child of two Kentuckians. I heard it, felt it, experienced it and lived it.

I'm not going to take a side on the north/south thing, but I do want to add two things...

1. Rex is right - racism manifests itself differently in the north and south. I've lived in the midwest, and the south, and the west. Its different everywhere.

2. Here is a little story about Chicago suburban schools and southern kids... A close acquaintance of mine was born in North Carolina, at Camp Lejeune (dad was a Marine), and the family moved to the north suburbs of Chicago when he was about 7. Shortly after arriving and starting in the schools (mind you, this was a highly regarded north suburban district), they put him in speech therapy. As the teachers tried to explain to his mother what the speech issues were, she realized what it was - his drawl. The school took his drawl for a speech impediment.

Just something to think about.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
I'm not going to take a side on the north/south thing, but I do want to add two things...

1. Rex is right - racism manifests itself differently in the north and south. I've lived in the midwest, and the south, and the west. Its different everywhere.

2. Here is a little story about Chicago suburban schools and southern kids... A close acquaintance of mine was born in North Carolina, at Camp Lejeune (dad was a Marine), and the family moved to the north suburbs of Chicago when he was about 7. Shortly after arriving and starting in the schools (mind you, this was a highly regarded north suburban district), they put him in speech therapy. As the teachers tried to explain to his mother what the speech issues were, she realized what it was - his drawl. The school took his drawl for a speech impediment.

Just something to think about.

1. Spot on. In my experience, there is a great deal more of what I would call "closet racism" in the Northern climes. I think we can look to Ms. Ferraro's comments for evidence of closet racism bubbling up, to mix metaphors. I haven't traveled in the South in a while, but it was always my feeling that people in that part of the country were much more upfront about their opinions, on race and everything else.

2. That's such a bias of Northerners that it isn't funny. Some of the most brilliant people I know are from the deep South, but other ignorant Northerners would underestimate them only because of their thick drawl. It is asinine.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
1. Spot on. In my experience, there is a great deal more of what I would call "closet racism" in the Northern climes. I think we can look to Ms. Ferraro's comments for evidence of closet racism bubbling up, to mix metaphors. I haven't traveled in the South in a while, but it was always my feeling that people in that part of the country were much more upfront about their opinions, on race and everything else.

2. That's such a bias of Northerners that it isn't funny. Some of the most brilliant people I know are from the deep South, but other ignorant Northerners would underestimate them only because of their thick drawl. It is asinine.

That's interesting, because I think the opposite...in the North it seems neighborhoods are more based on race, while in the South, it's based more on class.

And, it also seems that people from the South are very formal and nice, to you. Whereas in the North, people are more likely to be transparent in their feelings.

Then again, it probably has nothing to do with where as much as who.

The south still elects people like Sally Kern who said homosexuality is more dangerous than islamic terrorists. She also compared it to a cancer.

She really didn't catch much slack for that. When the south stop's electing people like that, than I think people in the north will start to think differently.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
The south still elects people like Sally Kern who said homosexuality is more dangerous than islamic terrorists. She also compared it to a cancer.

She really didn't catch much slack for that. When the south stop's electing people like that, than I think people in the north will start to think differently.

That's weak. PA elected Santorum (to the US Senate, no less) and Matthew Shepard was murdered in Wyoming.