Disabled girl's parents defend growth-stunting treatment

Texsox

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you stunt your child's growth and sterilize him/her

• Yes
    • No

NEW YORK (CNN) -- It's been a year since the parents of a severely disabled child made public their decision to submit their daughter to a hysterectomy, breast surgery and drugs to keep the girl forever small. Today, the couple tell CNN, they believe they made the right decision -- one that could have a profound impact on the care of disabled children worldwide.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/conditions/...ref=mpstoryview

I guess it all depends on how disabled this girl really is... It doesn't sound like she'd of had any reasonable quality of life anyway. And you wouldn't want to risk some sicko raping her and causing a pregnancy that would just turn out to be a disaster in everyway. However it they are only mildly retarded or physically disabled with no altering of mental function then I think that this would be totally the wrong thing to do. I do agree though that they opens up pandora's box though... And it can be dangerous in the wrong context.

It's a tough call. Inflicting major surgery should not come lightly. An elective hysterectomy is a tough leap to take. And to basically stunt their growth? Wow.

I'm just so very lucky to have two perfectly healthy children. :pray

QUOTE(AngelasDaddy0427 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
I guess it all depends on how disabled this girl really is... It doesn't sound like she'd of had any reasonable quality of life anyway. And you wouldn't want to risk some sicko raping her and causing a pregnancy that would just turn out to be a disaster in everyway. However it they are only mildly retarded or physically disabled with no altering of mental function then I think that this would be totally the wrong thing to do. I do agree though that they opens up pandora's box though... And it can be dangerous in the wrong context.

This isnt why they are stunting her growth. Not even close.

QUOTE(AngelasDaddy0427 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 09:10 PM)
It might not be their reason. They want to keep her small. But in this perverse world it's still something that needs to be considered..

Wow. You just keep em comin

I'm not surprised that more people did not weigh in, I am surprised that more did not agree with the parents. The main benefit is that the parents will have a smaller person to care for with simpler needs. (No menstrual issues). The benefit to the child, it would seem, is her caregivers will have an easier time and perhaps she will be more likely to live with her parents instead of being institutionalized. The child also bore the risks and discomfort of surgery.

I voted I would not do it, but it would be a difficult decision and if my spouse said yes, I think I would be persuaded to agree. But I don't I could be the one saying yes first. I'm a wimp I guess.

QUOTE(AngelasDaddy0427 @ Mar 12, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)

I'm no expert, but it seems she could still be raped. If someone is so sick and such a lowlife to rape a mentally handicapped person, a flat chest and smaller build might not stop them. Seems sick to even bring up. :stick