It's [far from] Official: [Perhaps] Jerry Owens Makes The Team

JohnCangelosi

Comments from Ozzie:

"I'm not worried about it but concerned," Guillen said of Owens' injury. "You give him a couple days to recover and the next day he couldn't be in the lineup. It's something I don't want to deal with during the season."

Guillen said he's mindful of what an injury like that did to Scott Podsednik last season. The speedy Podsednik, one of the stars of the 2005 World Series team, jumped in and out of the White Sox lineup with nagging injuries.

Guillen doesn't want Owens to go through the same thing.

"I'd rather miss him for a couple of days up here than miss him in the season," Guillen said of Owens.

Bad news for BA. Just goes to show no matter what, Owens has made this team. So now it's between Quentin and BA? Maybe this isn't news to anyone on this forum but I thought they were going to battle it out in ST. Looks like the decision has already been made.

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
Comments from Ozzie:

"I'm not worried about it but concerned," Guillen said of Owens' injury. "You give him a couple days to recover and the next day he couldn't be in the lineup. It's something I don't want to deal with during the season."

Guillen said he's mindful of what an injury like that did to Scott Podsednik last season. The speedy Podsednik, one of the stars of the 2005 World Series team, jumped in and out of the White Sox lineup with nagging injuries.

Guillen doesn't want Owens to go through the same thing.

"I'd rather miss him for a couple of days up here than miss him in the season," Guillen said of Owens.

Bad news for BA. Just goes to show no matter what, Owens has made this team. So now it's between Quentin and BA? Maybe this isn't news to anyone on this forum but I thought they were going to battle it out in ST. Looks like the decision has already been made.

that's certainly far from OFFICIAL...

QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
that's certainly far from OFFICIAL...

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 12:21 PM)
Well, I was being a bit sarcastic, but you get the point...read between the lines on what the Oz is saying...

To get Ozzie's type of team Owens needs to be out there. Ozzie wants Owens healthy in July not March. If they go with Quintin or Anderson as a starter and they fail or if Dye gets hurt you will need a healthy Owens. I actually read it as Owens most likely will play sparingly in March and play more at AAA to start the season and ease back into it. Especially wit hthe cold April. I think nobody really knows what the direction is right now nor do they.

Do you think we'll start BA in LF over Quentin? Is it possible that Quentin could start the season on the DL or in AAA? Anderson looked real good yesterday when I was watching the game on TV.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(The Beast @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
Do you think we'll start BA in LF over Quentin? Is it possible that Quentin could start the season on the DL or in AAA? Anderson looked real good yesterday when I was watching the game on TV.

If BA is on the field, it should be in center.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 12:51 PM)
I think if you read within the lines, that's also Ozzie giving the company line. Jerry's worked his ass off, and I'm sure Ozzie likes him as a person and perhaps even as a player, but even he understands his limitations.

That.

Plus, I actually read this as being its not at all certain he'll make the team, let alone start. Further, since I assumed he was on the team anyway, this is actually a walk away from Owens to my eyes.

Anderson 2006 - 365 AB's, .225 Avg, .290 Obp, .359 Slg, 8 HR, 33 Rbi, 4 SB, 7 CS

Owens 2007 - 356 AB's, .267 Avg, .324 Obp, .312 Slg, 1 HR, 17 Rbi, 32 SB *, 8 CS

* 8th in the AL in SB in 93 games

If Owens is healthy, I would rather have him on the team. To me , it would be nice to have one guy on the team who can steal a base whenever he gets on. It just puts more pressure on whoever is pitching when a speed guy like Owens is on base.

Also, factor in how each player finished. Anderson hit .200 with an Obp of .235 in the last month of 2006. That doesn't exactly leave most people wanting more (especially when you include his awful, albeit brief start to 2007). Owens hit .340 with an Obp of .396 and 10 SB's in the last month of 2007. If you were the manager, you wouldn't be slightly excited by what a healthy Owens could bring to the table?

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE(pcullotta @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 01:07 PM)
Anderson 2006 - 365 AB's, .225 Avg, .290 Obp, .359 Slg, 8 HR, 33 Rbi, 4 SB, 7 CS

Owens 2007 - 356 AB's, .267 Avg, .324 Obp, .312 Slg, 1 HR, 17 Rbi, 32 SB *, 8 CS

If Owens is healthy, I would rather have him on the team. To me , it would be nice to have one guy on the team who can steal a base whenever he gets on. It just puts more pressure on whoever is pitching when a speed guy like Owens is on base.

Also, factor in how each player finished. Anderson hit .200 with an Obp of .235 in the last month of 2006. That doesn't exactly leave most people wanting more (especially when you include his awful, albeit brief start to 2007). Owens hit .340 with an Obp of .396 and 10 SB's in the last month of 2007. If you were the manager, you wouldn't be slightly excited by what a healthy Owens could bring to the table?

That is Anderson from 2006. This is Anderson from 2008.

I wouldn't want Paul Konerko from 2003 on this team either, but players can change, adjust, and perform better. Anderson appears to be doing that right now.

Clearly, Anderson has superior talent; he may be the best all around athlete in White Sox camp right now. If he can produce well at the major league level, there's no way he isn't the starter. He could be probably a top 10 centerfielder in the game with his talent. Owens will almost always be below average because of a weak arm, range that depends entirely upon his speed, and no power whatsoever.

QUOTE(pcullotta @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 05:07 AM)

I think post ASB splits for those seasons are better stats to use. Smaller sample size yes, but this is when both guys started to get a little more comfortable at the major league level. It's better than using just September stats at least.

Owens had the better OBP, but BA had a higher overall OPS. Owens OBP in the 2nd half was only around .330 IIRC. That's not going to cut it as a leadoff hitter (hence why Swisher is now probably the guy).

QUOTE(JohnCangelosi @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:21 PM)
<!--quoteo(post=1587442:date=Mar 13, 2008 -> 11:19 AM:name=Reddy)-->
QUOTE(Reddy @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
<!--quotec-->that's certainly far from OFFICIAL...

Well, I was being a bit sarcastic, but you get the point...read between the lines on what the Oz is saying...

I think Brian anderson has made the team also. Quentin will either be on the DL or start at AAA. You never know, but Owens might be on the DL also, but most likely will start with the team. Richar might also be at AAA this year even though I don't think the IF situation will affect BA or Owens

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:28 PM)
Coming to a ballpark near you this July 31st...

Jerry Owens in LF

Mister Anderson in CF

Carlos Quentin in RF

and Nick the Swish at 1B

They have to trade paulie sometime in may for that to be possible if I recall correctly. I don't see them giving up that early. Also dye has a full NTC for '08. So your situation gets even more unlikely unless those two get injured.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)
They have to trade paulie sometime in may for that to be possible if I recall correctly. I don't see them giving up that early. Also dye has a full NTC for '08. So your situation gets even more unlikely unless those two get injured.

And you'd hope they would be able to get the heir to Contreras's spot in the rotation.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 05:52 PM)

NTCs are waived all the time. You just have to put them in a desirable situation for the player. A city they like and a team that can win.