It's [far from] Official: [Perhaps] Jerry Owens Makes The Team

JohnCangelosi

I also think Jerry will make the team regardless of what happens, given that he's healthy. That doesn't mean he's starting, but what it likely means is that there will be a platoon in CF until one of Anderson and Owens can prove that they are worth starting full time (or if neither prove that, then both get sent down, Swish heads to CF, and Quentin gets called up). I imagine the Sox will take it easier with Quentin as he tries to get his shoulder healed up.

Ozzie does love speed, and while it (possibly) seems as though he's recognizing that OBP is more important at the top of the order than a track star, he will want a guy that can steal bases somewhere on his team. Currently, I don't think anybody has proven they can steal at a proficient clip other than Owens, so it would be nice to have a speedster that can come into the game in the 8th inning or so and steal a base. Of course, he'll get thrown out now and then too, which would really suck, but s*** happens.

That, and I think they'd like Quentin to just get regular ABs. He's not gonna get s*** just sitting on the bench. He'll be there as the 10th man in case any of Thome/PK/JD/Swish/BA has to take a trip on the DL at some point during the year.

Or something like that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 13, 2008 -> 08:09 PM)
Ozzie does love speed, and while it (possibly) seems as though he's recognizing that OBP is more important at the top of the order than a track star, he will want a guy that can steal bases somewhere on his team. Currently, I don't think anybody has proven they can steal at a proficient clip other than Owens, so it would be nice to have a speedster that can come into the game in the 8th inning or so and steal a base. Of course, he'll get thrown out now and then too, which would really suck, but s*** happens.

Anderson's got pretty decent speed, as does Fields FWIW. But he doesn't have the hang of getting good jumps yet so it doesn't translate into SBs. Come to think of it Owens doesn't always get the best of jumps either but he's so damn fast it really doesn't matter.

Edited by lostfan