Workout Tips & Tricks

Texsox

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 10:24 AM)
Hey anyone ever try P90X? I have been feeling very stagnant in my workouts and ordered this set to give it a chance. I've browsed the message boards over there and there are many succes stories.

I use the P90x Ab routine, I kinda stumbled across it in torrent land. The quality of the ab routine was pretty good, the doofus running it will annoy you.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Mar 16, 2009 -> 10:27 AM)
I use the P90x Ab routine, I kinda stumbled across it in torrent land. The quality of the ab routine was pretty good, the doofus running it will annoy you.

I've been doing roughly the same workout outline for about 4 or 5 years and I thought it was time to listen to a trainer for once and my friend recommended this program. The problem wiht personal trainers at my gym is that I am pretty much in better shape than all of them which makes me wonder how qualified they really are to motivate me to work hard.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Mar 19, 2009 -> 08:11 PM)
Haven't done P90X personally, but know a few people who have with great results. It's a legit program if you follow it. I still have some pounds to go, but would like to do the program once I get to that point.

I start it on monday. I'm dedicated to following it very closely. I can post updates as I go through the program. I'll also continue to be active in the sports I play so that may add to my fitness level.

sleep!!! I know it's hard but sleep is one of the most underated parts of any successful fitness program.

Don't overdue it either, working out for 2 hours isn't the answer, your body starts shutting down.

Mix it up, have 4-5 different exercises for each body part, your body is smart and adapts to the same movement.

don't do fad diets, change your lifestyle of eating, but I found giving yourself a cheat day helps a ton

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 12:34 PM)
I grabbed the p90x torrent a year ago and never really gave it a shot. I find it difficult to motivate myself at home.

The pictures they have you take are motivating enough. I sit about 6'1" and 185 pounds but have areas on my body that I would like to lean and tone, and nothing gives you that motivation until you see a picture of yourself from the back and check out the mid section. I told myself I would give it 90 true days and I will try and stick to it.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 01:12 PM)
The pictures they have you take are motivating enough. I sit about 6'1" and 185 pounds but have areas on my body that I would like to lean and tone, and nothing gives you that motivation until you see a picture of yourself from the back and check out the mid section. I told myself I would give it 90 true days and I will try and stick to it.

Ive been very tempted to purchase as well. Instead I am giving myself 90 true days by myself to see what results i can achieve. If i dont get results i hope for, ill purchase it. I hope you stay focused, I'd like to compare. I am 5'10, started at 186. I started march 1st, have been dieting, eating healthy, and doing cardio and lifting. good luck.

QUOTE (Stocking @ Mar 24, 2009 -> 05:24 PM)
Ive been very tempted to purchase as well. Instead I am giving myself 90 true days by myself to see what results i can achieve. If i dont get results i hope for, ill purchase it. I hope you stay focused, I'd like to compare. I am 5'10, started at 186. I started march 1st, have been dieting, eating healthy, and doing cardio and lifting. good luck.

I gained a bunch of weight in college and then quit smoking which added to it. I've been working out on my own for probably 5 years or so consistently seeing myself drop about 40 lbs and really get back into shape. I've hit a "plateau" IMO. Not so much in the weight loss or health arena as I keep myself busy playing multiple sports etc, but I think the toning and real BF% loss has somewhat hit its max in my current regimen. I'll keep everyone updated in how I am doing as well as BF loss and size.

Me and my friend have thought about P90X though it's really advanced (p90 will probably be way better for some) it's basically muscle confusion and eating healthy with some muscle drinks added in. Like SoxFan562004 said, you have to mix it up cause if your body gets used to the same routine, you won't get the quicker results. P90X pushes you beyond your breaking point. Say you can only do 20-30 pushups they'll make you push that into 40-50 they constantly challenge you. Switch up your routine each week (do straight push-ups one week, do push-ups with a chair or one handed the next week, etc..) and you'll be fine. The motivation is always the hard part. I have ZERO weights at home, (ok I see like 5 lb dumbells but thats it) so I find it hard to do anything anyway, and pushups help tone your arms, but I do want alittle more muscle developed.

Most of you are trying to lose weight, but where do us skinny guys go for help?

So here's my deal: I am the classic 'hard gainer', naturally skinny, it's very difficult for me to put on any weight or muscle. Whenever I have been successful at putting on muscle, I also put on some fat. As I get older, more and more of it accumulates around my belly and I put on less muscle mass. Getting rid of the belly is not the problem, the problem is that along with the belly, goes the muscle. Lately, more of the belly stays around and more of the muscle is going away.

How do I put on muscle mass, or at least maintain it without getting fat around the belly at the same time?

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 01:06 AM)
Most of you are trying to lose weight, but where do us skinny guys go for help?

So here's my deal: I am the classic 'hard gainer', naturally skinny, it's very difficult for me to put on any weight or muscle. Whenever I have been successful at putting on muscle, I also put on some fat. As I get older, more and more of it accumulates around my belly and I put on less muscle mass. Getting rid of the belly is not the problem, the problem is that along with the belly, goes the muscle. Lately, more of the belly stays around and more of the muscle is going away.

How do I put on muscle mass, or at least maintain it without getting fat around the belly at the same time?

A s*** ton of lean protein and protein shakes. Min 3 a day. I would lean out if you can and lose most of your fat then pack on lean mass.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 01:08 AM)
A s*** ton of lean protein and protein shakes. Min 3 a day. I would lean out if you can and lose most of your fat then pack on lean mass.

A lot of shakes that claim to be 100% whey or soy actually contain a lot of sugar too. Can you recommend some lean protein shake brands?

Another issue is cost. If you buy a bucket of protein and take the recommended amounts, you'll go through a $50.00 bucket in a week. Do that math over a month, 6months, etc.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 10:54 PM)
A lot of shakes that claim to be 100% whey or soy actually contain a lot of sugar too. Can you recommend some lean protein shake brands?

Another issue is cost. If you buy a bucket of protein and take the recommended amounts, you'll go through a $50.00 bucket in a week. Do that math over a month, 6months, etc.

Whey protein doesn't consist of a lot of sugar. In fact, the Whey I have only consists of 1 gram of Sugar per serving. I've been downing 1 or 2 shakes a day for about 4 months. Only thing with me is I use them as meal-replacement (I'm trying to lose weight). In your case, as Rock said, you should probably down 2-3 a day in addition to 3 solid meals a day (load up on the red meats). Get the gold standard version. You can go to any GNC. They've got all kinds of different flavors. My favorite is Chocolate coconut. Protein bars are also good. Go with "Pure Protein" bars. Each bar only has 3 grams of sugar. Chocolate peanut butter is my favorite. As far as the prices go? You're absolutely right. s*** is expensive. No way around it, really. All you can really do is search for the best deal possible.

I have a similar issue as above. I am a runner (20-25 miles per week) and also cannot keep weight on. I'm currently 6'1" 160 pounds. My goal is to add 10-15 pounds of muscle. I lift 3 days a week, run the other 4 and have been doing so for about a month now with minimal results. Any ideas as to ways... other than the almighty and all expensive protein which I currently drink after every workout... to add muscle?

Does anyone have any ideas as to websites that might be able to give me a better plan?

And for the record, a trainer is right out. I use the gym at my apartment complex and am definitely not willing to pay the money for a trainer.

Thanks.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)
I have a similar issue as above. I am a runner (20-25 miles per week) and also cannot keep weight on. I'm currently 6'1" 160 pounds. My goal is to add 10-15 pounds of muscle. I lift 3 days a week, run the other 4 and have been doing so for about a month now with minimal results. Any ideas as to ways... other than the almighty and all expensive protein which I currently drink after every workout... to add muscle?

Does anyone have any ideas as to websites that might be able to give me a better plan?

And for the record, a trainer is right out. I use the gym at my apartment complex and am definitely not willing to pay the money for a trainer.

Thanks.

I am very much like you as a runner, although I ran close to 50 miles per week. But my guess is you are not eating enough, just plain calories. Since you have a pretty good balance of strength and cardio training, you can afford to eat a lot, probably close to 3,000 which I usually consume every day. What is your basic diet plan like? Calories per day?

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 28, 2009 -> 11:54 PM)

If you dont want to buy the protein, your best bet is to supplement your 3 meals a day with about 3 other servings of maybe a dozen egg whites or so.

QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 06:37 PM)

Thanks.

burning that many calories a week means it's going to be very hard for you to add 10-15 lbs. Not impossible, just very difficult (as you are obviously finding out). I've posted this before in this thread, but you need to sleep. You can't do all this, sleep less than 6 hours a night and expect to get results, you have to find time to sleep. Try eating almonds, they're a great source of fat and calories. Maybe cool out on the running for awhile while you add muscle mass.

A lot of this depends on body type, too.

I, for example, would work out with my friends and put in far less work than them and put on 2x the muscle in 1/2 the time they did. To a point, it's genetics, and it's a lot lot lot of work for people to overcome that.

It sounds like you have an ectomorph frame, and if that's the case, good luck putting on muscle. Eat way more than you are, run way less and lift way longer. Edit: I read your height/weight and yes, you're an ectomorph. I won't lie to you, it's a bad bodytype for wanting to add muscle mass. :/ It's possible, but it's very hard.

Ectomorph body = ||

Endomorph body = ( )

Mesomorph body = \ /

Guess who puts on muscle the easiest?

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 29, 2009 -> 09:53 PM)
If you dont want to buy the protein, your best bet is to supplement your 3 meals a day with about 3 other servings of maybe a dozen egg whites or so.

Given his size/weight and tendency to burn calories fast he needs to intake more than just lean protein, he needs to increase his fat intake, too, or he's never going to see much size increase.